PDA

View Full Version : The story I submitted for originial writing.

Wig44.
05-12-2009, 10:19 AM
This is the story that I wrote and submitted for original writing (English coursework) last year, it got high praise and an A* and my english teacher asked if I'd read Hemingway (which I haven't) but I wanted to see what people on here thought about it. I looked in here a bit recently and decided to see how this does, I was 14/15 when I wrote this. It's also short due to word limits in place on the coursework.

River

The grass, slightly frosty from the morning dew, crunched as I walked. It was like a predator, chewing the sinewy remains of some unlucky prey. The air was cool, crisp and almost still. The willow trees nearby were hunched over the river I was stood next to. They creaked in the slight breeze like the yawning of a waking animal.

I put down the tackle box I had brought, and it snapped open with two sharp cracks. It doubled as storage, dividing different baits, hooks, shots and floats as well as a chair to sit on when closed. To save time, and make the most of the early morning, I had prepared my fishing rod as much as possible before coming. The shots and float were already attached to the fishing line which had in turn already been threaded through the supports on the fishing rod, leaving me with the simple task of knotting together the prepared line in the rod with the small piece of line that was threaded through the hook. As I whipped the rod forwards and cast out, the hook caught the sunlight and flashed in my eyes, gleaming like a fierce metallic talon. As the hook and float hit the surface of the river, it seemed the water was undulating rather than rippling, like its inhabitants beneath the surface.

I leaned the rod on its stand and sat back on the tackle box. The morning was pristine and unspoilt. I listened to the morning sounds of the yawning trees and the cries of birds darting on some unknown errand. In the distance I heard voices. I turned and saw two figures. Even from that distance it was apparent that they were both very short. As they got closer I saw that one sported a potbelly while the other one was thin with very bad posture. They were both ruddy faced, and as they fished in the lake about thirty metres behind me they shouted hoarse profanities at each other with rural accents. I exhaled heavily, watching my breath dissipate in the once quiet air.

Fishing is a waiting game. You have periods where you won’t catch anything, but if you don’t pay any attention to your rod you could lose a bite and become frustrated. It’s not necessarily about catching anything; it’s about marvelling in nature’s sophistication and beauty. It’s character building and relaxing. When you do get a bite, the thrill overrides any boredom and you can find yourself battling with a fish for almost half an hour.

As I pondered whether these men were here to escape from their scowling wives or were here for the sport, I noticed my float jerk underwater in a rapid movement. I grabbed my fishing rod and waited a couple of seconds, instinctively, before striking, lifting my rod tip up in the air in one quick, fluid movement to lodge the hook into the fish’s lip. I reeled in slowly and confidently. I let it take some slack before reeling slightly back in again. The whole time I was in a predatory trance. I felt the fish falter with fatigue as I reeled it back in after a few minutes and seized my chance. I reeled in much further, slightly faster than I had before, and lifted my rod up high. Then with one hand I scooped up my net which I plunged into the river like a dagger and lifted the fish up and out of the water. It was beautiful. Not the common carp from this area, but a smaller fish called a rudd. Its colourful scales gleamed in the sun like a kaleidoscope. Though small, rudd are great sport and put up an excellent fight. I gently removed the hook from the fish before inspecting it for a few more moments, gauging its weight to be around a few pounds, before tenderly releasing it back into the water.

The morning was much brighter now. The world had woken up, and I cast out again and sat back on my tackle box, proud with my catch. The river swallowed my float and hook like a hungry beast, majestic but deadly.

kuzkasate
05-12-2009, 09:21 PM
Thats actually fantastic! Seriously, one of the best I've seen. You definately have a talent and you should definately consider writing a book or something! +repp ;)

Wig44.
05-12-2009, 10:43 PM
Thats actually fantastic! Seriously, one of the best I've seen. You definately have a talent and you should definately consider writing a book or something! +repp ;)

Thanks, I actually do enjoy writing and have had recommendations from friends, family and teachers to look into going down that route based on this piece and other pieces. I'd be interested in more comments though!

Kyle
08-12-2009, 11:59 PM
Riveting tale, certainly worth the read. I can see why your teacher seems to parallel you with Hemingway.

Great use of polysyndeton; the way that you've used conjunctions in close succession gives a certain effect, (depending on who we believe the addresser to be) e.g. A child overusing the word and as a filler or a pretty well educated chap. I guessed the latter due to the explosion of polysyllabic words, so I read it as if 'he' - my mental image of the addresser - would say it.

The gentlemen mentioned in the third (and partially in the fifth) sound familiar. Slightly reminiscent of George and Lenny at the beginning of 'Of Mice and Men' by John Steinbeck. If you haven't read it:-
- "The first man was small and quick, dark of face...", "strong hands, slender arms, a thin and bony nose"
- "... a huge man, shapeless of face..." "...With large, sloping shoulders"

FlyingJesus
09-12-2009, 12:10 AM
I leaned the rod on its stand and sat back on the tackle box.

No homo.

To be honest I was very pleasantly surprised, especially considering what you usually get in a "read my story" thread :P I really like the fact that not much has actually happened in it, people so often rush straight into actions scene action scene action scene emotional torment action scene that it quickly becomes dull and looks very amateur, but here you've kept my attention against all odds - I'm usually a harsh critic of writers and hence tend not to post in these threads when they come about because I know how proud people are of their work, but I feel you justly deserve praise here. I know nothing of fishing and have never displayed the slightest interest in it yet I just read an introduction about it and enjoyed doing so. Some of the metaphor/simile work didn't really tickle my fancy (comparing grass under your feet to a predator and its prey for example may work in terms of the sounds you want to convey, but the imagery is just far too contrasting to make sense in the otherwise calm environment you have going on) but overall a fantastic opening piece.

Misawa
09-12-2009, 12:18 AM
Nice work, deserving of the grade you were given by your teacher. I was surprised, as most of the "literature" posted here is mindless drivel. Congrats.

Wig44.
09-12-2009, 04:48 PM
No homo.

To be honest I was very pleasantly surprised, especially considering what you usually get in a "read my story" thread :P I really like the fact that not much has actually happened in it, people so often rush straight into actions scene action scene action scene emotional torment action scene that it quickly becomes dull and looks very amateur, but here you've kept my attention against all odds - I'm usually a harsh critic of writers and hence tend not to post in these threads when they come about because I know how proud people are of their work, but I feel you justly deserve praise here. I know nothing of fishing and have never displayed the slightest interest in it yet I just read an introduction about it and enjoyed doing so. Some of the metaphor/simile work didn't really tickle my fancy (comparing grass under your feet to a predator and its prey for example may work in terms of the sounds you want to convey, but the imagery is just far too contrasting to make sense in the otherwise calm environment you have going on) but overall a fantastic opening piece.

I wanted to portray the character almost wincing with each step he took, the noise distorting the equilibrium of the morning. Thanks for the praise.

Kyle, I'm glad you thought so, and I would picture 'him' to be a pretty well educated chap myself!

Thanks to misawa also.

Misawa
09-12-2009, 04:57 PM
What's funny is how you misspelt "original" in the title ;)

Wig44.
09-12-2009, 05:01 PM
What's funny is how you misspelt "original" in the title ;)

It's a typo!

How embarrassing :$

Smits
09-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Nice story and worth the read, deffinately see why it got the grade it did!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!