PDA

View Full Version : YouTube 1080p

Tomm
06-12-2009, 12:38 AM
Hey,

Apparently videos began appearing on videos on YouTube a few weeks ago where the HD stream was actually upped from 720p to full 1080p

Few examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f-MYl-HzNw

Or if you prefer, transformers trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N2YWRJ-ppo

Check out other movie trailers in that channel, they are 1080p

Since flash sucks, it eats up my CPU on even my quad core q6600, can't wait until they release flash 10.1 from beta with GPU accelerated video playback.

Has been out for a few weeks but I've only just noticed it to be honest.

N!ck
06-12-2009, 01:52 AM
That sorry excuse of a bitrate isn't HD sorry. It may have the pixels, but until they want to take a bandwidth it (and people's home connections can handle it), proper 1080p streaming is a long way away.

It's a big improvement over the previous offering though.

Misawa
06-12-2009, 02:14 AM
As soon as you go full screen it loses definition. I don't care to watch YouTube in HD.

Turbocom
06-12-2009, 04:14 AM
I agree with everyone above. 720P isn't that bad but right now we just dont have the connection speeds for 1080

Jahova
06-12-2009, 08:11 AM
I agree with everyone above. 720P isn't that bad but right now we just dont have the connection speeds for 1080
Agree, and the Government need to do somthing about it!

Recursion
06-12-2009, 09:14 AM
I switch to 1080p whenever I can on YT, Stop complaining people, it's getting better.

Not like 1080p does me any favours anyway, anyone with a larger than 1080p resolution monitor sees the qaulity degrade further.

Firehorse
06-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Hey,

Apparently videos began appearing on videos on YouTube a few weeks ago where the HD stream was actually upped from 720p to full 1080p

Few examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f-MYl-HzNw

Or if you prefer, transformers trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N2YWRJ-ppo

Check out other movie trailers in that channel, they are 1080p

Since flash sucks, it eats up my CPU on even my quad core q6600, can't wait until they release flash 10.1 from beta with GPU accelerated video playback.

Your first example video is only in 720p HD, only the second one has the 1080 option.

That sorry excuse of a bitrate isn't HD sorry. It may have the pixels, but until they want to take a bandwidth it (and people's home connections can handle it), proper 1080p streaming is a long way away.

It's a big improvement over the previous offering though.

My internet can handle it and i'm on a 10mb connection which is pretty average now. plus if you don't have the fastest connection just watch it in lower HD or normal quality - nothings changed there.

Tomm
06-12-2009, 11:09 AM
The comments on the video appear to suggest it is 1080p although its hard to tell with animations.

Your first example video is only in 720p HD, only the second one has the 1080 option.

My internet can handle it and i'm on a 10mb connection which is pretty average now. plus if you don't have the fastest connection just watch it in lower HD or normal quality - nothings changed there.

Smits
06-12-2009, 11:18 AM
My internet cant even handle normal low quality videos.

The Professor
06-12-2009, 12:17 PM
Yeah you can't whinge about connection speeds when virgin are doing ~10mbps internet on the cheap, its advertised as up to 8 but we get more than that :D

N!ck
06-12-2009, 12:40 PM

Yeah you can't whinge about connection speeds when virgin are doing ~10mbps internet on the cheap, its advertised as up to 8 but we get more than that :D

10Mbps is not enough to handle proper 1080p content. Encoded down to H.264 1080p is ~15Mbps bitrate (variable) so you'd need at least a 20Mbps connection (and be able to use the full 20Mbps on a single thread). Compare this to Blu-Ray which has ~30Mbps (vairable) so you're going to need a 50Mbps connection and be able to get the full speed in a single thread.

Expensive for both the end user and YouTube (or whoever).

As some random guy said: "720p at a proper bitrate will smash low bitrate 1080p all day."

They should sort out what they already have first before bringing out new.

Stephen!
06-12-2009, 01:29 PM

Flash 10.1 beta already has GPU acceleration, you just need to update your video drivers.

GommeInc
06-12-2009, 01:42 PM
It's good, but hardly amazing. YouTube is terrible at the moment, videos don't load as fast as they should, compared to the past :/

Tomm
06-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Yeah I know, thats what I said. I said when they release it from beta as the beta version has some stability issues at the moment apparently and a few sites are not compatible with it, so i'm waiting until the final release is out.

Flash 10.1 beta already has GPU acceleration, you just need to update your video drivers.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!