PDA

View Full Version : Strict Religious Codes

Hecktix
10-12-2009, 12:38 PM
I've just been researching some black-dominated churches and one of them prides themselves on a very strict code of conduct:

Code of Conduct

The following is a summary of rules, regulations and tenets of Celestial Church of Christ.
Members are forbidden to:

Commit Adultery or Fornication
Drink Alcohol, Wine and Smoke Cigarettes
Eat Pork & Crawling Animals
Merry-go-round at night
Wear transparent dress, especially for Soutana while in the Church premises
Wear Red or Black apparel, except for professional reasons
Sit male & female members side by side inside the Church

While in the Church premises, Female members are forbidden to:

Leave their heads uncovered
Paint their lips and nails

While in the Church premises, Male members are forbidden to:

Wear their hair too long

Women NEED to be Sanctified by an elder in the Church after 7th day of their monthly cycle

Spiritual Items:Soap, Water, Sponge, and a candle stick

http://www.celestialchurch.com/aboutus/reference/code.htm

Just wondered what people's views were on the fact that Religion is still quite strict in some areas (this church does have parishes in the UK)?

Jamesy
10-12-2009, 03:56 PM
I dislike any form of organised religion so this just annoys me further.

Black_Apalachi
10-12-2009, 04:35 PM
It's not surprising at all. I imagine there to be much worse religions or sects.

Inseriousity.
10-12-2009, 04:39 PM
I did a religion module in sociology so this doesn't surprise me! I believe in religious freedom (or lack of it in some religions :p) tbh and if it's not hurting anyone, let them get on with it.

I laughed at rule 3 though. 'Eat pork and crawling animals.' No 'I'm a celebrity' for the very strict members then? :P

FlyingJesus
10-12-2009, 04:46 PM
It makes a lot more sense to me than the "modern" Evangelical churches most of us are used to. If you're going to be religious then be religious, don't pick and choose which rules you like and don't like. Alcohol I'm not sure on because in the Bible most of them drink and they do so with the blessing of God for the most part. The dress codes seem to be mostly just a respect thing for formality, with the exception of headwear as the Bible does state that women should never go to worship with their heads uncovered and men should never do so with theirs covered (hence the origins of men preferring short hair and women long hair I believe).

Whilst many of the rules seem odd to us, I think it far better to practise a religion in this way (although it's still far from literal and complete following) than the fake vision of Christianity and indeed most religions that appear today.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!