PDA

View Full Version : School Uniforms

Narnat,
14-12-2009, 10:00 PM
Does anyone like think the head teachers care about your uniform more than your education. sometime school uniforms can be dull so what do they exspect us to do ? sit in cloths for 6 hours that have none of our personality ? You get moaned at for adding a bit of colour yet they get to ware different coloured shirts and the teachers get to ware what they want. So why cant we add a bit to our uniforms , you can see why they want us to ware it but its just boring if it looks dull and makes you feel dull. :rolleyes:

Yoshimitsui
14-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Schools set their own image and lay down regulations to it to meet their 'standards' as it gives an impression on the school much like the behaviour of it's pupils. It has always been a fuss over top buttons and ties done right up or shirts tucked in, don't add that belt and it will always be the case for a long time. At the end of the day you wont always wear what you want when out in the world working but it's a way of life, try not to think about it too much.

kk.
14-12-2009, 10:15 PM
wear* for starters..

teachers dont wear what they want, they have to dress smartly. Uniforms are there for a reason, and one is that it helps people not get picked on for what theyre wearing. its also a lot cheaper.

you should express your personality through yourself and not through your clothes anyway

Geraint
14-12-2009, 10:19 PM
wear* for starters..

teachers dont wear what they want, they have to dress smartly. Uniforms are there for a reason, and one is that it helps people not get picked on for what theyre wearing. its also a lot cheaper.

you should express your personality through yourself and not through your clothes anyway

this.

quite frankly, you get more rights the older you get. teachers can wear what they want because they've been there and done it. let's face it when they were in school, i'm going to guess that they had stricter rules than us 'cause quite frankly my schools uniform rules aren't exactly strict.

iAdam
14-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Someones been on facebook groups.

I really don't care that much about my uniform, I have to wear it, as I will most probably have to wear uniform in a job. Although I look like a complete muppet in it compared to my normal clothes, I do realise why they make it compulsory and in answer to your question, no, teachers do not care more about uniform considering they've been through university for years upon years to teach you at that point, the least you could do is look neat.

RandomManJay
14-12-2009, 11:40 PM
I never used to mind my old uniform in school, I hated the first one I had to wear cause it was like a normal white button shirt and this horrible maroon tie and we always had to have out shirts tucked in and with the top button done and the tie going down to our waste :S. The ones we wore in year 10> was fine, just a white polo shirt with out school logo on it, and we could wear it in anyway we liked, with it un/tucked, buttons undone, anything :D. For sixth form we didn't have a uniform which was awesome (and is the same with Uni :P), the only uniform I have to wear now is my work uniform which I genuinely feel like I die a little inside everytime I put it on, so I have a deep resentment of all uniforms now.

EDIT: And just to say, teachers dont actually give a **** what students wear, they just have to follow the rules the school sets, I've known loads of teachers who've just given out non-uniform slips randomly cause they know how **** the uniforms are and don't want to force the kids to wear them. So I would say that they do care more about your education, but still they have to enforce the rules.

Black_Apalachi
15-12-2009, 12:40 AM
... Uniforms are there for a reason, and one is that it helps people not get picked on for what theyre wearing. its also a lot cheaper. ...

This is the point my school used to express mostly and it makes sense tbh. This thread takes me back to being a "rebel" by wearing trainers instead of shoes and I cringe now at how we used to wear our ties :eusa_sick. What did you do anyway?

Charlottay!
15-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Its more of a principle of wearing a uniform than the uniform itself.

Like when you get jobs you have to wear a uniform or even have a dress code. Teachers cant wear what they want. I no that my old high school all teachers contracts state that men must wear shirt or tie unless they work in p.e and that females must be dressed appropiatly as well.

Wearing a uniform through High school makes college ten times better since you wear ur own clothes

Narnat,
20-12-2009, 08:59 PM
Yeah, i totlay understand that people can be picked on. Im not saying uniforms should be banished but i think they should let you add in a bit of your personality nothing exstreem of course. Im not saying uniforms arnt important but they are but they teachers always stress about them which make you stress.

galbabe
20-12-2009, 09:10 PM
our uniform is so stupid in nov to march we have to wear tights i think we should have the choice like what has that got any thing to do with education lol

FlyingJesus
20-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Think of what makes up the word: uni (one) form (shape). One shape, because you as students are one body of learning and in my experience uniforms help to bring pupils together more than anything else that the schools can come up with. You can't tell from the off whether someone's a goth or chav or whatever else just by their clothes if you're in uniforms - obviously some will have differences in makeup, hair, and accessories, but generally there's less to dislike about someone who looks just like you, so there are less problems to be had. In my entire year group at my high school there were maybe 10 cases of someone really hating another and causing problems on a regular basis, the rest of us got on fairly well no matter what our backgrounds and interests, which I don't think would have happened nearly so cleanly if we'd all been wearing what we wanted.

Smits
20-12-2009, 09:18 PM
Uniforms are deffinately a good thing. Everyone looks equal, more likely to talk to people you wouldn't usually talk to.

Technologic
20-12-2009, 09:19 PM
I have to wear uniform for my sixth form. it sucks ass lol.

Sharon
20-12-2009, 09:26 PM
You have a point but there is values of a uniform I mean we recently had an inspector in and she judged our uniforms a lot, As there is a near by Private school who have tacky green blazers, so we even got praise for that.

Caution
20-12-2009, 09:47 PM
It's definitely a good thing, only if it's enforced strictly though. If it's not enforced strictly enough people start changing the uniform. Up until August we wore whatever we wanted to school, and then they brought in a shirt and tie and it's much better. You have a better attitude to working if you're all wearing the same clothes. There have been a few students at my school that are totally against it and have went as far as getting their parents to write to the Council so they don't have to wear it and keep their 'individuality'. :rolleyes: You're at school to learn, and if you feel your personality doesn't reflect your individuality enough then it's pretty sad really.

galbabe
21-12-2009, 12:22 PM
It's definitely a good thing, only if it's enforced strictly though. If it's not enforced strictly enough people start changing the uniform. Up until August we wore whatever we wanted to school, and then they brought in a shirt and tie and it's much better. You have a better attitude to working if you're all wearing the same clothes. There have been a few students at my school that are totally against it and have went as far as getting their parents to write to the Council so they don't have to wear it and keep their 'individuality'. :rolleyes: You're at school to learn, and if you feel your personality doesn't reflect your individuality enough then it's pretty sad really.

You have a point but there is values of a uniform I mean we recently had an inspector in and she judged our uniforms a lot, As there is a near by Private school who have tacky green blazers, so we even got praise for that.

Think of what makes up the word: uni (one) form (shape). One shape, because you as students are one body of learning and in my experience uniforms help to bring pupils together more than anything else that the schools can come up with. You can't tell from the off whether someone's a goth or chav or whatever else just by their clothes if you're in uniforms - obviously some will have differences in makeup, hair, and accessories, but generally there's less to dislike about someone who looks just like you, so there are less problems to be had. In my entire year group at my high school there were maybe 10 cases of someone really hating another and causing problems on a regular basis, the rest of us got on fairly well no matter what our backgrounds and interests, which I don't think would have happened nearly so cleanly if we'd all been wearing what we wanted.

yh i get why you have to wear uniforms what i don't get is we we have to tights when we could just wear white socks or black tights + in march usaually it is warmer than it is in june or july lol

Nixt
21-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Because uniform suggests uniformity which means it should be the same, rather than everyone wearing different colour tights and different colour socks or w/e.

Uniforms are definitely a good thing. As Tom mentioned it means individuals cannot be stereotyped on the basis of their appearance if everyone is wearing the same thing. It can also help reduce bullying on the basis of how much money an individual has - if there was no uniform the less well-off students are not bullied for the nature of their less expensive clothing etc.

TheEclipse
29-12-2009, 08:47 AM
I honestly never cared about '6 hours in clothes that don't reflect my personality' YES that's what you're expected to do. Just deal with it, don't try and bend the rules.

Recursion
29-12-2009, 09:12 AM
Sounds like you should stay in school for a while longer, have fun xD

Anyway, SIXTH FORM FTW!

TheEclipse
29-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Also, teachers do NOT get to wear 'what they want'. They wear clothes that are much more formal than they'd wear at home. They often wear makeup that they don't like wearing, stockings they don't like wearing, ties, shirts, blouses, formal trousers etc (for men and women), less jewellery, no low cut tops, no bare arms, etc etc. I come from a big family of teachers and they've all got 'teaching clothes' and 'home clothes'. They buy things because 'that'd be good for school' etc.

Charlottay!
29-12-2009, 10:57 AM
yh i get why you have to wear uniforms what i don't get is we we have to tights when we could just wear white socks or black tights + in march usaually it is warmer than it is in june or july lol

I will agree with this. I no some schools have a summer uniform and a winter uniform to go with the weather. In the first half term of winter and all of the summer term we cud have worn socks instead of tights. Tights had to be worn durin the other terms though.

My old school recently allowed girls to wear trousers and nearly every girl there now does. But just cause my school r still a little bit picky we have to wear these specific trousers (or skirt) that come from this shop.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!