PDA

View Full Version : Govt to cut military spending as Gordon Brown pledges millions in Copenhagen

-:Undertaker:-
15-12-2009, 11:45 AM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/12/14/article-1235708-0798ADED000005DC-294_634x365.jpg

Sky News - Military Cutbacks (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Auditors-Claim-MoD-Cost-Cutting-Is-Driving-Up-Bills-And-Risking-Front-Line-Operations/Article/200912215500154?lpos=UK_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15500154_Auditors_Claim_MoD_Cost-Cutting_Is_Driving_Up_Bills_And_Risking_Front-Line_Operations)

The National Audit Office has criticised the department for trying to clear its deficit of up to £36bn with what it calls a "save now, pay later" approach.Major projects are being downgraded by reducing orders and putting back completion dates, the NAO said. One example cited is the Queen Elizabeth Class aircraft carrier, which has been slowed down in order to save £450m over the next four years.

However, that decision will increase costs by £1.12bn over subsequent years, a net increase of £674m. The MoD has also reduced an order for Lynx Wildcat helicopters from 80 to 62 helicopters, which will save £194m, but will cut planned flying hours by a third.Daily Mail - Brown flies to Copenhagen early (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1235708/Copenhagen-climate-change-summit-Talks-suspended-African-nations-walk-emissions.html)

Developing countries today agreed to resume climate change negotiations in Copenhagen after a half-day suspension.The G77 group, led by African countries, staged a walkout over accusations that richer countries were seeking to use the UN-sponsored conference to dodge their obligations to cut carbon emissions.

Poorer countries fear that the Copenhagen talks will kill off the 1997 Kyoto Protocol, which committed industrialised states to reduce greenhouse gases, with financial penalties for failure. Their call for an extension of Kyoto is opposed by some industrialised states because the US - the second-largest emitter after China - remains outside the process, having refused to ratify the protocol. The breakdown in talks comes as Gordon Brown is due to fly to Copenhagen tomorrow to kickstart negotiations with world leaders.What a farce.

Black_Apalachi
15-12-2009, 12:43 PM
I wouldn't even approve very much of military spending right now, let alone throwing money at everyone else in the world. The yanks must think we're right **** heads.

GommeInc
15-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Meh, I read/heard somewhere that someone chucked aload of facts about Climate Change into the Copenhagen meeting. 100 reasons why 'Climate Change is Natural' was the title I think, about time they started talking some sense and not nuisance.

Haven't really got anything to say about the military spending, war is expensive so this just shouts out the obvious to me :/

alexxxxx
15-12-2009, 06:55 PM
the mod believe that as they are a popular department they are in some sort of right to overspend, THEY ALREADY OVERSPEND THEIR BUDGET.

every department needs to be cut back but the populists who shout for soldiers to be paid more are the same people who talk about busybodies not achieving anything...

it's a joke. war is a joke. end it now and it'll save us billions and billions.

$64BILLION/yr... it's a joke.

and copenhagen is a joke, even more money down the drain that achieved nuffink. not sure about global warming myself, even the indpendant's front page the other day was something against the global warming bandwagon.

Special
15-12-2009, 07:04 PM
the mod believe that as they are a popular department they are in some sort of right to overspend, THEY ALREADY OVERSPEND THEIR BUDGET.

every department needs to be cut back but the populists who shout for soldiers to be paid more are the same people who talk about busybodies not achieving anything...

it's a joke. war is a joke. end it now and it'll save us billions and billions.

$64BILLION/yr... it's a joke.

and copenhagen is a joke, even more money down the drain that achieved nuffink. not sure about global warming myself, even the indpendant's front page the other day was something against the global warming bandwagon.

Ending a war isnt as simple as that

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!