PDA

View Full Version : Will you help me with this?

Contempt.
16-12-2009, 12:59 PM
I simply love to write and I have been trying to think of novel that I want to write...problem is I don't have the storyline. Evertime I think for a story, my mind goes back to Harry Potter and Twilight...Sigh...

I did have this one idea. Its about these few kids who have various abilities, like mind manipulating(hypnotic like?), muscle manipulation(grow stronger,smaller,larger, faster etc), Transformation(into animals), Communication(able to teleport, and communicate with people throw the mind), Animation(Able to animate non-living things). What do you think about it? The kids are going to be in their (pre)teens about 12 to 18? I will add some romance between characters, some hatred, competition etc but mainly them trying to control their abilities.

I am open to alot more ideas and I would love it if you guys could help me through my writing venture :). Once I commit to this, I might post my chapters onto this forum exclusively for habbox users :) I'm not that good...amateur you can say...my vocab stinks! Well...Comment and Help me out!

Neversoft
16-12-2009, 01:30 PM
Well the idea you have is pretty generic and unless you're able to keep people interested through your writing style I don't think it will hold up. The best thing to do is to decide on what kind of novel you want to write, and then mind map your ideas around that. If you're on the right track eventually you can start piecing things together and start forming a story around what you have. Thats always how I start. Try do something a little original and something you know you'll be able to write very well about.

Contempt.
16-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Any ideas for a story then? Thats about all I've thought up :P I would love it if you could help me out...thanks alot!

Keri?!
16-12-2009, 02:46 PM
You could do something along the lines of twilight but make it like less magcial? :P

Like a woman falling in love with a serial killer, for example. Who then kills all the people she hates, but she doesn't realise he's a serial killer until he mistakes one of her friends for one of the people she hates or something?
idk im also rubbish :D

Misawa
16-12-2009, 07:31 PM
I've said this before and I'll say it again - you don't have a chance in hell of writing a novel if you can't think of the story yourself.

kuzkasate
16-12-2009, 08:12 PM
I've said this before and I'll say it again - you don't have a chance in hell of writing a novel if you can't think of the story yourself.

This is actually very true. I like to think of my own original ideas. Sometimes when I'm sitting a test at school and I have to write about a gothic themed horror story, I would sit there for 45 minutes thinking through all my ideas until I got a decent idea. Then I have 15 minutes to write it up. That, ofcorse isnt good, but my point is just keep thinking and thinking and thinking, try through different ideas. Or just take good story idea that you have and while writing build up things that you think will make it better and more interesting. Then I guess you'll learn.

But best of luck if your going to write a novel! :D

Wig44.
16-12-2009, 08:56 PM
This is actually very true. I like to think of my own original ideas. Sometimes when I'm sitting a test at school and I have to write about a gothic themed horror story, I would sit there for 45 minutes thinking through all my ideas until I got a decent idea. Then I have 15 minutes to write it up. That, ofcorse isnt good, but my point is just keep thinking and thinking and thinking, try through different ideas. Or just take good story idea that you have and while writing build up things that you think will make it better and more interesting. Then I guess you'll learn.

But best of luck if your going to write a novel! :D

It takes you 45 minutes to plan a story that takes 15 minutes to write? You are not going to do well in GCSE examinations with that approach!

Contempt.
17-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the feedback..I mean its not my first venture but I'm going to try to keep it short. 10-15 chapters is my goal. I think i'll continue with my own story, see how long it holds, if I dry out...Too bad :)

ItsDave
17-12-2009, 08:59 PM
You can't write a novel if the idea isn't yours. You need to have the passion, and you need to thinking constantly about this idea of yours, evolving it, thinking of twists and turns in your idea. Sorry, thats the only advice I could possibly give. You can't just write a novel with 1 idea either, especially someone elses.

TheEclipse
29-12-2009, 09:11 AM
I think one way to improve ideas about writing and your own stories is to read more. Obviously you like Harry Potter and Twilight- what other books have you tried lately? :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!