PDA

View Full Version : Jobs

Smits
20-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Yeah well i'm pretty much desperate for a job.

I'm 18 and have been casually looking for one for quite some time now, checking websites and the job centre regulary. The problem is, there isnt many that require no experiance and that i have seen advertised. The ones i hjave applied for simply never replied or said no.

So i'm looking for some advice on how to start looking for a job better and improve my chances. I know it's christmas but ideally i'd want to get one a few weeks into january.

Jackbee
20-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Just go into your nearest town and give out cvs into all the shops?

Tash.
20-12-2009, 08:01 PM
I posted in your thread in the education forum, try this website - https://apprenticeshipvacancymatchingservice.lsc.gov.uk/navms/Forms/Candidate/VisitorLanding.aspx

Its for apprenticeships and its really good, often you don't need any experience and they train you and pay you at the same time. Other than that just persevere, right now it takes time. It took me a year and a half after college to find something :)

Jordie
20-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Got any family members who work close enough to you who could recommend you to their bosses? My mum works in a restaurant and she got me a job there:)

Callum.
20-12-2009, 08:21 PM
doubt you'll get one in any shops for a bit of time. you should have got yourself out there while they were hiring the xmas staff. january is normally bad for sales, so you probs won't get hired then.

Smits
20-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Thats the thing, i was looking just couldnt find anything. I didn't actually go in anywhere and ask though as i assumed if they wernt advertising on their website or in the window they wernt hiring. Maybe thats where i went wrong. I see some people with 2 or even 3 jobs.

Btw, i am still at college, looing for part time woprk to up my income

IceNineKills
21-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Thats the thing, i was looking just couldnt find anything. I didn't actually go in anywhere and ask though as i assumed if they wernt advertising on their website or in the window they wernt hiring. Maybe thats where i went wrong. I see some people with 2 or even 3 jobs.

looking doesn't help, you need to get right in there and fight for any job. I was previously working in Burger King for over a year. That job was easy to get but then my local pub had jobs going so I applied, 2 months later after constant questioning about the job I got it.

Hiro
24-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Pfft. I've sent out over 50 CVs since August. No replies or anything. Local shops like NEXT, Argos, Tescos, whatever. Nothing from them.
So now I'm just gonna go self-employed and try out some business start ups.

Arron
24-12-2009, 07:16 PM
tough times atm.

I've been looking for retail jobs for 6 months. i found one opening, just i couldn't work flexible hours.

but yeah, hand CV's in everywhere. you never know what might pop up.

Metric1
24-12-2009, 07:27 PM
I worked when I was high school, like 40+ hours a week and now that I'm done school I don't work, my mom just gives me money.

I've never had a job with a boss and set hours, so I have no idea what the real world is like. I've had people who *thought* they were in control but other than that nobody tells me what to do and when to do it.

I don't work now because the real-estate market slowed down and I only have to put in like 10 hours of work per-week and I can do it at home. I was offered a job at A&F a few months back but I declined because I was planning on going to school. I put school off until next year so unless the real-estate market picks up I'm going to hang out until next September. If a job was offered to me and it was a good job, I would take it.

Try looking in the following locations:

newspaper
wanted posters
local chain stores
McDonalds
friends
job websites

ItsDave
24-12-2009, 10:28 PM

Naw, trust you need to go into shops with your CV, say like: "Now I dont know if you have any jobs going at the moment however I'd like to leave me CV here with you if anything comes up". I made that up BAM! Its pretty epic. and just wait for a few replies. however, don't expect too much. Honestly, I musta gone round to 30 shops, got 3 replies, and 1 was a yes, so be patient, and good luck!

Aces
25-12-2009, 01:56 AM
Assuming that there is a McDonalds where you live I suggest you go check with them. I have like 4 of them near me and I went to every single one looking for a job and they all had openings.

Smits
16-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Assuming that there is a McDonalds where you live I suggest you go check with them. I have like 4 of them near me and I went to every single one looking for a job and they all had openings.

tried that, didnt work.

I'm planning on going down and walking into every shop/business i wouldnt mind working for.

I need to get some CVs and a copy of the times i can work printed though and i dont have a printer.

Aces
16-01-2010, 02:20 PM
tried that, didnt work.

I'm planning on going down and walking into every shop/business i wouldnt mind working for.

I need to get some CVs and a copy of the times i can work printed though and i dont have a printer.

wow if the fast food places don't have openings then I don't know what to tell you. Good luck finding a job tho

IceNineKills
16-01-2010, 03:23 PM
tried that, didnt work.

in the current situation this silly country is in you'll have to not mind working anywhere.

Charlottay!
16-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Im currently workin at my local football stadium in catering. they always hire loads of people.

I just also applied and got short-listed for a seasonal job at alton towers cause its not far from me :)

leah
17-01-2010, 10:59 AM
im in need of one too :{ got like 150 quid to last me all year and i have trips to london and t4 on the beach lined up? :l

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!