PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 help

Blue
23-12-2009, 01:01 AM
Ok, short version: I have 2 partitions with windows 7 on my hd, one Im not able to boot into. How can I boot into it?

Long Version: Being annoyed with dual booting with XP and windows 7, I decided I want rid of xp. Look up tutorials on internet. Won't let me boot into Windows 7.
Run the start up utility on the windows 7 installation disc, takes me back to having xp and 7 again.
Get annoyed, load up gparted, delete xp partition, now it won't boot into 7 and says DISC BOOT ERROR, INSERT SYSTEM CD or something along those lines.
In the end, I get annoyed and just install windows 7 again on the old xp partition.

I don't really want to do a clean install of windows, is there anything I can do to merge the two? or to be able to boot back into the other installation?

Moved by Stephen (Forum Moderator): from “Technology Discussion.”

Zokoli
23-12-2009, 01:17 AM
Just take the easy road:
Back-up & clean installation.
;)

The Professor
23-12-2009, 02:04 PM
When you boot from the installation disc hit repair then repair startup problems (can't remember the exact wording but its something like that). If that doesn't fix the partition... you're kinda out of luck!

Blue
23-12-2009, 11:38 PM
Yeah, I had done that many times :P
I decided just to bite the bullet and reinstall :)

Flisker
26-12-2009, 01:59 AM
What you had to do is go to repair then open up the command prompt from the cd and type:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /FixBoot

and it would work.

Blue
28-12-2009, 12:38 AM
I tried doing the fixboot command and it said something like device unknown, or a statement to that effect, but Im happy I reinstalled :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!