PDA

View Full Version : iPlayer

TehJoshy
23-12-2009, 04:40 AM
Does anyone know if there are any plans to bring the BBC iPlayer to the 360?
Yes, i understand we have the Sky player, but adding the iPlayer would make the whole TV experience thingy complete ha.

Thanks!

Neil
23-12-2009, 01:55 PM
There are "plans" but they aren't going through because if it happens Microsoft want it to be a Gold only thing which is against the terms of use thing for the iPlayer, it has to be free or it wont come to the xbox basically.

iAdam
23-12-2009, 03:22 PM
As Neil said, it has to be free as BBC iPlayer is included in the TV license. So for it to come to xbox it will have to be available to silver players. And because Microsoft are very money hungry, probably won't happen.

Jordy
23-12-2009, 05:39 PM
It's a real shame they can't work something out. It is impossible for the BBC to change their stance seeing as everything has to be free for license fee viewers. I can see Microsoft's point of view though, they generate revenue by Gold and need incentives for people to buy it. They'd presumably put money into iPlayer too so they'd be at a loss.

I expect Microsoft to budge eventually but who knows. A native YouTube application would also be good.

I currently know one way of getting iPlayer on the Xbox 360, it's a little complicated but it does work well.

If you have Vista or Windows 7, install this plugin to Windows Media Center: http://www.milliesoft.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9:iplayer-mce&catid=1:software&Itemid=11

You then have access to iPlayer, 4od, ITV Player etc from Windows Media Center. Set up Windows Media Center on your Xbox 360 and it will share the plugins installed on your computer, therefore allowing you to access iPlayer etc from your Xbox 360.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!