PDA

View Full Version : +7REP: Alternative to an LCD TV?

Black_Apalachi
31-12-2009, 06:52 AM
I've basically got a nice nooby question for you ;). Can you get a HD ready TV that isn't an LCD TV? I'm guessing yes, so my next question is what are they? For example, is a plasma TV something like what I'm talking about?

I'm asking because I've got a little Matsui 15" HD Ready Digital TV but you can only see the screen clearly if you're directly level with it. I want to put it on a shelf in my room so I can watch it from my bed but my view is too low to see it. I've tried turning up the brightness etc but that only works until the contents of the screen changes.

So don't hate for nooby question kk +rep for advice thx oxoxo

adaym
31-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Plasma or the new thing now is LED but LED=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Jahova
31-12-2009, 10:43 AM
I've heard the new LED televisions are really good but unfortunatley, they cost considerably more than an LCD or Plasma.

Tomm
31-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Also the reason you can't see it properly unless you are level with it is because you've got a cheap, crap display, nothing to do with it being a LCD TV.

N!ck
31-12-2009, 11:30 AM
It does that on the shelf because you have a rubbish TV. Your best bet would buy buying a new LCD.

You can't get plasmas in the size you're looking at (I don't think) and OLED screens will be way out of budget.

Verrou
31-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Plasmas are ew, LCD's are great. But omg LED's take the prize! Watching Lord of the Rings, it's like you are looking through a window into the action it's so real.

Black_Apalachi
31-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Also the reason you can't see it properly unless you are level with it is because you've got a cheap, crap display, nothing to do with it being a LCD TV.

Oh OK, so you can LCDs that look fine at any angle? I don't know what our main TV is but it's pretty big and is always perfect. My impression of an LED is a little red light :P.

Thanks peeps reps will be given where possible xx

Tomm
31-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Yes you can get LCDs that look good at any angle but they cost money :P

Oh OK, so you can LCDs that look fine at any angle? I don't know what our main TV is but it's pretty big and is always perfect. My impression of an LED is a little red light :P.

Obeying
31-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Ummmm, a Projection TV ;)?

Jam
31-12-2009, 01:08 PM
Isn't it Plasma that has a problem with viewing angles? Or you could get a monitor with swivel base like Samsung TV's have.

Black_Apalachi
31-12-2009, 01:17 PM
Is the resolution a factor with this problem? Mine is 1280 x 800...

Ummmm, a Projection TV ;)?

That would just fail for me.

Isn't it Plasma that has a problem with viewing angles? Or you could get a monitor with swivel base like Samsung TV's have.

Well this is definitely an LCD (box says so). Yeah, whenever I see a screen with a stand like these have, it mind boggles me why they aren't adjustable :S. It's such an obvious feature and it looks like it would pretty simple to make.

Chippiewill
31-12-2009, 01:56 PM

You need to look at reviews and look for the angle of viewing, the size of screen you have it only makes sense to have an LCD since a plasma would be super overkill (And very expensive). Generally the more you pay for the same size the better then viewing angle that you will get.

Yonder
31-12-2009, 02:09 PM
oled x

Black_Apalachi
31-12-2009, 02:14 PM
You need to look at reviews and look for the angle of viewing, the size of screen you have it only makes sense to have an LCD since a plasma would be super overkill (And very expensive). Generally the more you pay for the same size the better then viewing angle that you will get.

Right, cheers.

oled x

OK I just Googled that; holy. ****.

Markeh
31-12-2009, 03:39 PM
My Samsung 19" LCD TV (about 4 years old btw) is quite good for viewing angles. It's 6ft from the floor, and I can see it quite well from my quite low-down bed. I have to turn the brightness up about 5, but its perfect.

If you want to look for a similar one on eBay, its an LE19R86BDX.

Black_Apalachi
31-12-2009, 03:42 PM
My Samsung 19" LCD TV (about 4 years old btw) is quite good for viewing angles. It's 6ft from the floor, and I can see it quite well from my quite low-down bed. I have to turn the brightness up about 5, but its perfect.

If you want to look for a similar one on eBay, its an LE19R86BDX.

Yeah I have to turn my brightness up, but to max. But it's not a very good long-term suggestion. Thanks for the reference :).

Markeh
31-12-2009, 05:19 PM
A more modern version of my TV is this: http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1055650099.126227980 3@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccgadejfdiijekcflgceggdhhmdfom.0&page=Product&fm=11&sm=0&tm=2&sku=167412&category_oid=-37406

I think with this TV, you can turn the stand and mount it on the wall. It's tricky to explain, so tomorrow I shall take a quick pic to show how its attached

The Professor
01-01-2010, 02:05 PM
Is the resolution a factor with this problem? Mine is 1280 x 800...

Nope its the materials the factory uses. I have 2 LCD monitors, one's a Dell and one's an Acer. The Dell was around £200 new (got it £50 second hand but yknow :P) and the Acer was £90 new. The Dell has perfect picture up to 90 degrees around the sides and the acer is only good up to around 65. You get what you pay for :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!