PDA

View Full Version : OnLive 48 minute demo

Fez
02-01-2010, 03:09 AM
If you have an hour to spare, please take the time to watch this, all of it. Don't complain that it's too long.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/gamertagradio/videos/160/

This both scares, intrigues and makes me feel nice.

I think this is the future of gaming, especially console gaming, time will tell whether this is the actual future but I don't see why not. It unites all platforms, games and such into one, seamlessly.

Just watch it.

[Chris]
02-01-2010, 04:10 AM
Wow. I actully watched it all - I was impressed.

WANT TO BETA TEST. Shame its americans only :/

Neil
02-01-2010, 04:17 AM
That's awesome, with something like that I would expect the prices of PCs to drop since you wont need anything decent to play the games, I'd settle for the TV one personally, no point in the PC one when you can have the exact same thing on a TV.

[Chris]
02-01-2010, 04:21 AM
That's awesome, with something like that I would expect the prices of PCs to drop since you wont need anything decent to play the games, I'd settle for the TV one personally, no point in the PC one when you can have the exact same thing on a TV.

Yeah, pretty much having an Xbox/PS3/Wii/Nintendo 64/Commadore 64 Ect Ect

Neil
02-01-2010, 04:27 AM
The only downside is, it's fully dependent on your internet connection, if you don't have a good enough connection you wont be able to stream the games so easily, they'll probably eventually just let you download them to some external harddrive addon thing to solve that at some point though, bet it wont be cheap either, probably £100+ even if it does cost nothing to make.

[Chris]
02-01-2010, 04:30 AM
The only downside is, it's fully dependent on your internet connection, if you don't have a good enough connection you wont be able to stream the games so easily, they'll probably eventually just let you download them to some external harddrive addon thing to solve that at some point though, bet it wont be cheap either, probably £100+ even if it does cost nothing to make.

Well, i think by the time that its actully widespread, EVERYONE will have better net.. Wasnt there a plan to upgrade the ENTIRE internet 'network'?

Neil
02-01-2010, 04:32 AM
;6214348']Well, i think by the time that its actully widespread, EVERYONE will have better net.. Wasnt there a plan to upgrade the ENTIRE internet 'network'?

Well Virgin were updating to 50mb which would be alright but that's not exactly your standard internet price no doubt. xD

[Chris]
02-01-2010, 04:46 AM
Well Virgin were updating to 50mb which would be alright but that's not exactly your standard internet price no doubt. xD

No, its not lmao.

But arnt the government doing a widespread upgrade/service?

Black_Apalachi
02-01-2010, 09:08 AM
OMG I JUST WATCHED IT!!! I am SO excited now. The only thing I'm worried about is how much of a money grabber it's going to be. I mean you'll have to pay to go online, then pay for the games obviously but he also mentioned loads of other extra stuff you can pay for, like items in games. As long as there's all the normal games that you just buy and play, it'll be good. By that I mean as long as they don't try to put extra emphasis on pay to play subscription games etc.

samsaBEAR
02-01-2010, 09:46 AM
This sounds good, but it'll end up being far to expensive if they're the only service that does it. no competition means they can charge whatever they want.

PaulMacC
02-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Can someone sum it up for me, I dont have 50 minutes spare.

ItsDave
02-01-2010, 10:46 AM
I got bored, but does sound very good.

Neil
02-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Can someone sum it up for me, I dont have 50 minutes spare.

Basically it's a digital service like Steam, except every month you pay to play to use it, you then buy your games through it but it doesn't download or install them at all, you just buy and play straight away because the games are stored on a huge server known as a "cloud" and you play the game through the internet so no waiting, downloading, it solves piracy aswell, it can be used on basically any computer, I would assume you need at least some decent specs on your PC but other than that you can get a pretty cheap mid-range PC and play Crysis on full settings without the lag, they have 2 versions, one is a PC/Mac version where you have a little USB you just plug in, the other is the "console" version which is exactly the same but you get a small little box where you plug your ethernet in, USB based controller, blue tooth headset etc. both are exactly the same, run the same games and I assume when you plan vs. it's cross platform.

adaym
02-01-2010, 12:20 PM
I can't help but think it's nothing more than visionary. I was let down with Natal and don't say this isn't Microsoft because I know that. The speaker does elaborate everything - I don't know a 20gb game. Crysis could and has been proven to run graphically fantastic on a 360 (Youtube it).

It's a great concept but at this stage, for me at least, that is all it is.

Sly
02-01-2010, 03:15 PM
I watched it all and it was pretty interesting.
I don't really like the idea though to be honest seems abit too futuristic.
Felt sorry for the guy at the end when none of the people asking questions could speak clear english haha.

[Chris]
02-01-2010, 04:19 PM
I watched it all and it was pretty interesting.
I don't really like the idea though to be honest seems abit too futuristic.
Felt sorry for the guy at the end when none of the people asking questions could speak clear english haha.

Play ANY game, without downloading, without lag - in FULL Graphics?

Stephen!
02-01-2010, 06:31 PM
I thought it LOOKED great, but when it rolls out for retail, I think they are going to have issues.

Fez
02-01-2010, 07:01 PM
;6214947']Play ANY game, without downloading, without lag - in FULL Graphics?
It can run Crysis.

On an iPhone, TV or crappy laptop.

No lag.

adaym
02-01-2010, 07:12 PM
It can run Crysis.

On an iPhone, TV or crappy laptop.

No lag.
You could also talk to a computer and it would answer you back in real time. Don't believe everything you see.

Fez
02-01-2010, 07:14 PM
I won't, but a company like Onlive wouldn't like to be embarrassed by having their claims put to the test and failing.

Yes there will be issues, but I totally believe the hardware is more than capable of dealing with it.

Neil
02-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Problem is, that's no lag now, will it be no lag when 500,000 people are trying to connect?

Sly
02-01-2010, 07:30 PM
No it's the whole signing up ordeal and paying all these monthly fee's and extra bits n bobs for the things you want.
I prefer to just pay one and actually own the game and hold it in my hands if that makes sense.

Stitch
02-01-2010, 07:39 PM
What happens if I want to play my games and my internet isn't working?

Fez
02-01-2010, 07:40 PM
They are all connecting with their own feedback loops, or something technical like that.

Its just like a live stream on Justin.tv or ustream, I think.

adaym
02-01-2010, 08:35 PM
I won't, but a company like Onlive wouldn't like to be embarrassed by having their claims put to the test and failing.

Yes there will be issues, but I totally believe the hardware is more than capable of dealing with it.
I disagree, entirely. It's a good concept, but one that will be expensive and 'laggier' than XLive etc etc.

I don't believe it - partly because I'm a pessimist and partly because this sort of stunt has been done before.

Fez
02-01-2010, 08:40 PM
I disagree, entirely. It's a good concept, but one that will be expensive and 'laggier' than XLive etc etc.

I don't believe it - partly because I'm a pessimist and partly because this sort of stunt has been done before.
Fair 'nough but only time will prove you right or wrong.

adaym
03-01-2010, 12:05 AM
Fair 'nough but only time will prove you right or wrong.
'Time' is an indefinite.

'Time' will most probably prove me wrong.

Black_Apalachi
03-01-2010, 01:00 AM
What happens if I want to play my games and my internet isn't working?

Yeah you have to be connected to play. And you'll need a good reliable connection as well.

Once this is released and is proven to work, I doubt I'll still be paying a subscription for XBL and ignoring this. Although, one thing that is kind of lingering in my mind. We all have our retro games consoles from years gone by and can still play them today. What about in 20 years time when this either goes bust, or they give up on it, or it just stops for whatever reason... and you've spent hundreds of pounds on games... what happens then?

[Chris]
03-01-2010, 03:24 AM
Yeah you have to be connected to play. And you'll need a good reliable connection as well.

Once this is released and is proven to work, I doubt I'll still be paying a subscription for XBL and ignoring this. Although, one thing that is kind of lingering in my mind. We all have our retro games consoles from years gone by and can still play them today. What about in 20 years time when this either goes bust, or they give up on it, or it just stops for whatever reason... and you've spent hundreds of pounds on games... what happens then?

Im guessing it all depends really.. If its how it is - and has decent prices - Its unlikely to go bust..

Its unlikely they will give up on it.. But i suppose, in a sence its like playing something like.. runescape or world of warcraft - That goes bust? You've lost the money you put into them and cant play it - But you had the enjoyment of playing it - WoW - Costing money.

Black_Apalachi
03-01-2010, 05:10 AM
;6216673']Im guessing it all depends really.. If its how it is - and has decent prices - Its unlikely to go bust..

Its unlikely they will give up on it.. But i suppose, in a sence its like playing something like.. runescape or world of warcraft - That goes bust? You've lost the money you put into them and cant play it - But you had the enjoyment of playing it - WoW - Costing money.

It can't go on for ever though, and it will cost a lot more than Runescape or WoW. Its an alternative to a games console so you're expected to invest in games etc, unlike Runescape where you can just play for free whenever you want.

ItsDave
03-01-2010, 08:00 PM

Agreed. It sounds bloody ridiculous. I can imagine some massive problems with providers if this is going to be as big as they say it is.

CrazyColaist
09-01-2010, 07:28 PM
he is soo racist!

he said

"in colombia you dont get good speeds here but for a NORMAL PERSON"

arent ppl who live there normal?

Lost_Addict
11-01-2010, 06:24 PM
i read this in a magazine a couple of monthsback. i really like the idea and want one :D

Stephen!
21-01-2010, 04:33 PM
They did another review and this was the quality they got out of it.

http://www.pcper.com/images/reviews/859/burnout-onlive2-big.jpg

Knew it would fail.

Below is a comparison

Onlive

http://www.pcper.com/images/reviews/859/hawx-onlive1-big.jpg

Normal

http://www.pcper.com/images/reviews/859/hawx-local1-big.jpg

Black_Apalachi
21-01-2010, 04:43 PM
So the graphics are rubbish? :( I don't see why... unless it just does that to allow you to play it without the best specifications or something? I think we always knew it would only be great with the very best connection etc.

Stephen!
21-01-2010, 04:51 PM
The graphics are the same, but the compression method used just kills the image quality.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!