PDA

View Full Version : [+REP] Should I sell my PC and buy a laptop?

Homosexual
02-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Currently I am contemplating buying a laptop and selling my PC so I can move around the house (it's boring being stuck in your room 24/7 :\) and do work and play games :)

I was wondering; what is your laptop of choice for gaming and work? The laptop does not need any software (e.g. Microsoft Office) pre-installed as I have the software here :-)

I have a budget of around £500/£600 (depends how much I get for the PC haha) :-)

I am looking for a laptop to (preferably) compete with this/be better than this:

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/1944/speccy.png

+REP for good suggestions!

Richie
02-01-2010, 05:13 PM
Depends on what laptop you get.

Laptops are great in some sense as their portable, what I don't like about them is if you have them on your lap they tend to burn you and ur uno, if I put a pillow under my laptop is shuts down after about 10mins due to it overheating. If I were you I'd keep your desktop it will last longer IMO.

This is my laptop and its slow as ****:

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/9779/mylappy.png

Tomm
02-01-2010, 05:14 PM
You are not going to be able to get something similar for that price in a laptop.

Recursion
02-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Depends what you do, I would love to move to a laptop on it's own but unfortunatly I play more games than CSS :P

Homosexual
02-01-2010, 05:45 PM
Depends what you do, I would love to move to a laptop on it's own but unfortunatly I play more games than CSS :P

Same. I have TF2, HL2, HL1, Bioshock, The Sims 3, Dead Space... :P

You are not going to be able to get something similar for that price in a laptop.

OK, I'll leave it then :)

Depends on what laptop you get.

Laptops are great in some sense as their portable, what I don't like about them is if you have them on your lap they tend to burn you and ur uno, if I put a pillow under my laptop is shuts down after about 10mins due to it overheating. If I were you I'd keep your desktop it will last longer IMO.

This is my laptop and its slow as ****:

http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/9779/mylappy.png

Ah :< I'll leave it then :>

(rep added to all above)

Recursion
02-01-2010, 05:48 PM
You can get fairly decent laptops, I have an OS X/Windows dualboot on my MacBook and it will play games like CSS, TF2 and The Sims 3 fine, but you wouldn't be able to upgrade it or anything in the future.

Homosexual
02-01-2010, 05:49 PM
You can get fairly decent laptops, I have an OS X/Windows dualboot on my MacBook and it will play games like CSS, TF2 and The Sims 3 fine, but you wouldn't be able to upgrade it or anything in the future.

Bah :( I'll just leave it then until I really need one.

Blob
02-01-2010, 06:10 PM
I would say keep your PC, as laptops can be really annoying with overheating and such, I have to keep mine on a desk with a fan running underneath it to stop it from overheating, and even that doesn't work most of the time.

Pix
02-01-2010, 06:26 PM
I'd say its almost impossible to find a better laptop with enhanced features for that price, you probably won't find one better until for £700/800. I'd say stick to the computer as they have longer life spans aswell.

Homosexual
02-01-2010, 06:52 PM
I would say keep your PC, as laptops can be really annoying with overheating and such, I have to keep mine on a desk with a fan running underneath it to stop it from overheating, and even that doesn't work most of the time.

Did you break it? o.O.

I'd say its almost impossible to find a better laptop with enhanced features for that price, you probably won't find one better until for £700/800. I'd say stick to the computer as they have longer life spans aswell.

OK, thanks.

(no more rep to be given out after this post)

Blob
02-01-2010, 06:55 PM
Did you break it? o.O.

Na, its just badly designed :rolleyes:

Homosexual
02-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Na, its just badly designed :rolleyes:

then why buy it aha

Blob
02-01-2010, 07:00 PM
then why buy it aha

Well, it is coming up to its 2nd birthday, and my dad bought it for us because my step mum adopted us :P

Homosexual
02-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Well, it is coming up to its 2nd birthday, and my dad bought it for us because my step mum adopted us :P

So it's a 'well done you've been adopted!' present? Awesome :p

Markeh
02-01-2010, 08:32 PM
My dv6 does tend to get quite hot, and can burn my knee occasionally. Usually when doing RAM-intensive work (games, Habbo). I have a simple laptop stand (£2.99 from Ikea) that props it up, and helps give it better ventilation (and even if it doesn't, it stops my knee being burned)

Blob
02-01-2010, 08:49 PM
So it's a 'well done you've been adopted!' present? Awesome :p

It was before we got adopted, I kinda see it as a bribe :P

Chippiewill
02-01-2010, 10:31 PM
I would recommend getting a Netbook and keeping the desktop, then you can use both!

Homosexual
02-01-2010, 10:38 PM
I would recommend getting a Netbook and keeping the desktop, then you can use both!

Any good Netbooks out there for less than £300 then? :')

Markeh
03-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Samsung NC10. £250 from PC World.

Black_Apalachi
03-01-2010, 09:38 AM
The only thing I prefer about laptops is being able to sit on my bed or wherever with it. A PC would be much better to use though and if I had one, I doubt I'd want a laptop instead. I say keep PC?

Recursion
03-01-2010, 10:24 AM
Samsung NC10. £250 from PC World.

Agreed. Love that little sucker of a netbook.

Homosexual
03-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Decision is made - buy a Samsung NC10 and keep my desktop ^^

The Professor
03-01-2010, 01:15 PM
You sure you don't have anything better to spend that money on? Is moving around the house reeeealy worth the £300? :P

Recursion
03-01-2010, 01:42 PM
You sure you don't have anything better to spend that money on? Is moving around the house reeeealy worth the £300? :P

Not particularly when you could just shove all media onto a NAS and get at it anywhere on games consoles or other computers very cheaply or free.

Homosexual
03-01-2010, 02:18 PM

No, but it could be my school work computer, and my desktop can be my 'gaming rig' :-)

Not particularly when you could just shove all media onto a NAS and get at it anywhere on games consoles or other computers very cheaply or free.

I'm not a fan of gaming consoles, so no ta :-)

Flisker
03-01-2010, 03:04 PM
I cant see how people are having problems with laptops, mine is over 2 years old now and it never overheats, works perfectly.

Intel Pentium Dual Core @ 1.73GHz
2GB RAM
Intel GMA 950 graphics

It can't play games that much but does what I need it to :P

Markeh
03-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Well, mine's only 3 months old, but it does get hot.

AMD Athlon QL-65 Dual Core
3Gb RAM
ATI Mobility HD 4530

Fehm
03-01-2010, 06:35 PM
You've got to remember as well, that if you get a laptop, the simplicity in upgrading your hardware is lost, and it's a hell of alot harder :P

Markeh
03-01-2010, 06:51 PM
You've got to remember as well, that if you get a laptop, the simplicity in upgrading your hardware is lost, and it's a hell of alot harder :P

It is harder, but for some things it isn't that much harder (RAM, HDD to a degree). I've never upgraded my dv6, but I did upgrade the RAM in my old Acer, and I found it quite easy. All I had to do was unscrew a flap, put a new stick in, and screw the flap back up again.

Recursion
03-01-2010, 08:08 PM
AMD CPUs run hotter than Intel CPUs, just thought I would throw that out there.

Markeh
04-01-2010, 09:04 AM
I've never really noticed the difference in running temperatures (but to be fair, all the laptops I've owned had AMD CPUs). The only exception to this is a Toshiba machine I use at school, running a Pentium Dual Core, but I tend to use that on a desk and not my knee xD.

The Professor
04-01-2010, 04:06 PM
I've never really noticed the difference in running temperatures (but to be fair, all the laptops I've owned had AMD CPUs). The only exception to this is a Toshiba machine I use at school, running a Pentium Dual Core, but I tend to use that on a desk and not my knee xD.

By that logic I've never noticed the difference between a digested brick and a camel doing the limbo :D

Chippiewill
04-01-2010, 04:16 PM
Heating issues in mind I generally use a Laptop heat deflector thingy (It's a cardboard box covered in cheap plastic which you put on your lap which allows air to flow underneat)

Markeh
04-01-2010, 08:23 PM
By that logic I've never noticed the difference between a digested brick and a camel doing the limbo :D

I said all the laptops I've OWNED, not all the ones I've USED.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!