PDA

View Full Version : How many of these processes can I disable?

Markeh
04-01-2010, 11:08 AM
I'm trying to decrease bootup time and make my laptop use less RAM. In the screenshot below (see spoiler), I've posted all the processes that come up at startup
http://picskip.net/u/04013849.png

Which can I safely disable? I imagine that there will be a few. +REP to those that help, -REP to those that give stupid answers.

Moved by Jamesy (Forum Super Moderator): From "Technology Discussion"

AgnesIO
04-01-2010, 11:11 AM
Virtually all of them.

The iTunes helper, some of the HP updates and other random auto updates can be disabled.

I am sure someone will give you a better list, but most of them can be :)

Markeh
04-01-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm planning on keeping the ATI one, IDT (sound drivers), and Avast at LEAST. And probably the quick launch buttons (as one of them is the Wi-Fi button).

LMS16
04-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Most of them apart from the system processes, I think you will know which 1s they are..

Lew.

Markeh
04-01-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm gonna disable the Cyberlink ones and the majority of the HP ones.

EDIT:
Check the spoiler for those that I have disabled.

If there's any I shouldn't have done, please let me know

http://picskip.net/u/04014290.png

AgnesIO
04-01-2010, 11:42 AM
iTuneshelper and Groove can go. (Groove the Microsoft program)

Markeh
04-01-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm keeping iTuneshelper due to it recognising my iPod when I plug it in (basically, convenience), and Groove shall be gone in a minute :D

AgnesIO
04-01-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm keeping iTuneshelper due to it recognising my iPod when I plug it in (basically, convenience), and Groove shall be gone in a minute :D

Fair enough :)
Hope it helps your pc :)

The Professor
04-01-2010, 03:23 PM
and you can stop vodafone whatever it is methinks, what is it mobile internet?

Chippiewill
04-01-2010, 04:14 PM
You should also disable Avast, it's not doing anything :)
My advise should never be taken, ever.

Having said that you should get Microsoft Security Essentials, it's much better.

Markeh
04-01-2010, 08:19 PM
You should also disable Avast, it's not doing anything :)
My advise should never be taken, ever.

Having said that you should get Microsoft Security Essentials, it's much better.

I have it on my other computer. I really hate it. I much prefer Avast if truth be known.

The Vodafone is enabled because I do use my stick often, and it auto-detects, and sometimes it won't work if it don't auto-detect.

Laurensh1
07-01-2010, 04:04 PM
There's also this program QuickstartUp - which also shows you the same list (you can get it also if you go to ehmz Start and then the type box thingy and then msconfig). But this has information on all the processes and shows which ones you can disable and stuff :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!