PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the Google phone?

United-Clowgon
06-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Let's just say, i won't be in a rush to queue up and buy one. (even if i had the money to do so) :P

Price tag is off putting slightly.

Bit bland looking imo and looking at some of features on it, it's a long way off a being the iphone's main competitor as of yet.

For a Company like Google, I'm quite disappointed so far with the phones they have they have released.

Moved by Jamesy (Forum Super Moderator): From "Technology Discussion"

Recursion
06-01-2010, 02:55 PM
I'm hoping it'll be on my upgrade list in May, it has the 1GHz snapdragon processor, it is automatically amazing.

United-Clowgon
06-01-2010, 03:03 PM
I'm hoping it'll be on my upgrade list in May, it has the 1GHz snapdragon processor, it is automatically amazing.

Anything other than android and it would of made it a little more sweeter.

Markeh
06-01-2010, 03:08 PM
No Multi-Touch in the browser. I don't think there's ANY multitouch. :(

Recursion
06-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Anything other than android and it would of made it a little more sweeter.

Not really? Android is second to none, it's even starting to come up against the iPhone.

No Multi-Touch in the browser. I don't think there's ANY multitouch. :(

It'll be hacked in through modified firmware no doubt, my G1 has it thanks to rooted firmware so the Nexus should be able to do it too.

myke
06-01-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm very much of a person who can be swayed by the aesthetics of a phone... this isnt one that tickles my fancy, got my hero anyway. :)

United-Clowgon
06-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Not really? Android is second to none, it's even starting to come up against the iPhone.

I suppose it's not that bad that I'm portraying it out to be. :(

Jordy
06-01-2010, 03:22 PM
Not really sure how it's a Google Phone if HTC are still making it? They've been making Android phones for ages. The only difference is the branding and Google selling it? Bit odd to me.

The processor is good but it needs hard-drive space if it wishes to rival the iPhone like they claim it will. Other than the processor there's nothing spectacular about it, Google are calling it at a "Superphone" rather than a "Smartphone", but IMO, HTC have manufactured better phones than this.

Markeh
06-01-2010, 03:29 PM
It'll be hacked in through modified firmware no doubt, my G1 has it thanks to rooted firmware so the Nexus should be able to do it too.

That isn't the point though. Surely to god it should be enabled anyway?

Jordy
06-01-2010, 03:36 PM
That isn't the point though. Surely to god it should be enabled anyway?Isn't there legal issues with companies other than Apple using Multi-touch, I'm pretty sure that's why?

Recursion
06-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Isn't there legal issues with companies other than Apple using Multi-touch, I'm pretty sure that's why?

There are licensing issues with the code Apple use for their multitouch, so once again they are being douchy and not licensing it to anyone IIRC.

Jahova
06-01-2010, 05:27 PM
Very nice indeed. I fancy an upgrade soon, it just depends if I can afford it :@

Markeh
06-01-2010, 06:54 PM
There are licensing issues with the code Apple use for their multitouch, so once again they are being douchy and not licensing it to anyone IIRC.

Isn't there another code for multitouch?
Of all people, Google and HTC should be able to conjure up a system.

Jordy
06-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Isn't there another code for multitouch?
Of all people, Google and HTC should be able to conjure up a system.Yeah that's not the problem, third-parties have even manage to make the code. Licenses are licenses though so it'd be some sort of copyright breach if they used multi-touch.

Markeh
06-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Yeah that's not the problem, third-parties have even manage to make the code. Licenses are licenses though so it'd be some sort of copyright breach if they used multi-touch.

IIRC its only the term "multi-touch" thats copyrighted by Apple. If no other company is allowed to use multi-touch, how do we explain other products using it (some recent tablet PCs, notebook touchpads (not just on MacBooks), and other phones)?

Chippiewill
06-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Because it is 'Google Experience' it will be very fast which is awesome . My contract ends in 15 months :P

3400 Post :D

GommeInc
07-01-2010, 01:38 AM
Meh, why steal off Apple when you can just get the technology from the people Apple got it off? :P Besides, they could always make another system, and brand it something else. Or just ask me and I'll take out their leader, Jobs, for £5. I've got a score to settle ;)

Which "Google" phone is this anyway? I always thought Google had one around for quite some time :S

Blinger1
07-01-2010, 02:19 AM
Or just ask me and I'll take out their leader, Jobs, for £5. I've got a score to settle ;)

Which "Google" phone is this anyway? I always thought Google had one around for quite some time :S
You're cheap, i like it ;)

And the Google phone is some hunk of junk looking POS. It looks horrible!

http://news.cnet.com/i/bto/20100105/Nexus_One2_270x491.jpg

StefanWolves
07-01-2010, 03:11 AM
Bit disappointing, the processor is beastly there is no denying that at all - but they've made the first move, they have shown Apple their hand, which I think is a mistake. I now expect the next iPhone (iPhone 4G) released in July 2010 to wipe the floor with this phone.

Only reason I like this phone is because of the processor, yeh better camera than the iPhone, but who cares? Nothing else excites me about this phone.

Recursion
07-01-2010, 07:10 AM
Bit disappointing, the processor is beastly there is no denying that at all - but they've made the first move, they have shown Apple their hand, which I think is a mistake. I now expect the next iPhone (iPhone 4G) released in July 2010 to wipe the floor with this phone.

Only reason I like this phone is because of the processor, yeh better camera than the iPhone, but who cares? Nothing else excites me about this phone.

IMO It is far too late for Apple to do anything about it for June 2010, they always release the new iPhones right away so production will have probably started by now, if not soon. If it hasn't started already then it would still be too late for Apple to draw up new designs etc. Just my 2c.

StefanWolves
07-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Fair point, you're probably right. I'd still expect Apples devices to outclass the Google one though.

As for the 'Multi-Touch interface' or whatever, I think it is patented by Apple, which means no other company can use that technology. However Nokia are currently suing them (trying to, anyway), for robbing their technology, Multi-Touch may have something to do with that too.

GommeInc
07-01-2010, 02:33 PM
The whole patent system is completely unfair and anti-competitive. The patent system needs changing, and new technology, items and so forth should only be patented on an individual basis, NOT a general basis such as "multi-touch", seeing as this could mean a wide variety of individual products that are not allowed to even be drawn up are denied. Who is in charge of patents anyway? There's another person (or persons) to go on the Facebook "Who to kill or dispose of discreetly" list :/

Infact, there's alot of debate as to whether or not it is considered legal of Apple to patent multi-touch. Hopefully they get sued, and go bust, or brought back to life by Microsoft or a mobile phone company like Nokia or Vodaphone :P That would destroy 'em :P

The Professor
07-01-2010, 04:00 PM
Not really sure how it's a Google Phone if HTC are still making it? They've been making Android phones for ages. The only difference is the branding and Google selling it? Bit odd to me.

Well google don't have a factory and stuffs, its much easier for them to outsource the production of the phone to HTC, Google were heavily involved with the design and stuffs though. The iPhone works in the same way, Apple don't actually make it they pay a company to do it, it just doesn't have their company's branding on it (I hope I'm right on that, can't remember where I heard it).

On patents, lots of companies have overly broad patents that they don't bother to argue, Engadget keeps putting out reports about nokia and apple throwing their broad patents at each other. They only invoke them when they want to be douchey.

Recursion
07-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Multitouch will be enabled for it in Europe along with the Moto Droid, companies cannot legally patent software in Europe like they can in the USA :)

StefanWolves
08-01-2010, 12:11 AM
I watch dragons den and I know you can get UK patents!! :P

Recursion
08-01-2010, 06:55 AM
I watch dragons den and I know you can get UK patents!! :P

You can, just not on software like that.

GommeInc
08-01-2010, 03:23 PM
You can, just not on software like that.
Good ol' European/United Kingdom common sense prevails :D I'm waiting for the Sony Ericsson XPERIA X3/10 (or whatever it is). I think it was said to be launched in Jan or Feb this year :/

xxMATTGxx
08-01-2010, 04:08 PM
Well google don't have a factory and stuffs, its much easier for them to outsource the production of the phone to HTC, Google were heavily involved with the design and stuffs though. The iPhone works in the same way, Apple don't actually make it they pay a company to do it, it just doesn't have their company's branding on it (I hope I'm right on that, can't remember where I heard it).

On patents, lots of companies have overly broad patents that they don't bother to argue, Engadget keeps putting out reports about nokia and apple throwing their broad patents at each other. They only invoke them when they want to be douchey.

You are right regarding the iPhone. They get some factory in the Asian side of the world to actually build their products. Then they ship them out to wherever as needed. Unless they are full on Apple workers and factories? Which I don't think they are for one second.

Good ol' European/United Kingdom common sense prevails :D I'm waiting for the Sony Ericsson XPERIA X3/10 (or whatever it is). I think it was said to be launched in Jan or Feb this year :/

Yeah, I've seen bits of that XPERIA. Looks pretty neat.

Recursion
08-01-2010, 06:53 PM
You are right regarding the iPhone. They get some factory in the Asian side of the world to actually build their products. Then they ship them out to wherever as needed. Unless they are full on Apple workers and factories? Which I don't think they are for one second.

Apple use Foxconn to build their products, HTC on the other hand manufacture their own I do believe, could be wrong though.

The Professor
08-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Yeah HTC manufacturer their own phones because that's what the company does, it just happens to do the software in house too.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!