PDA

View Full Version : Twilight Author Stolen Ideas

Gibs960
06-01-2010, 09:15 PM
So we have all heard about the twilight sega and if you like it or not, I am sure most of you know about the general jist of it. A vampire falls in love with an average girl and comes to many What some of you may not of heard about is the "House of Night" series, as far as I can see is about a young girl turning into a vampire and joining a Vampire Academy to remain "alive". There is also another series of books, which is now a TV series called "TrueBlood" about a girl called Sookie falling for a vampire called Bill. Also one more claled "The Nocturne" which is about a young sorcerer and his damsel lover.

I named all these books because from reading and watching about all of these I have realised that the most recent books (Stephenie Meyer's set) have actually got many similarities to many of these books. Infact one of these books (The Nocturne) have actually threatened to sue Stephenie Meyer and keep her from making her book "Breaking Dawn" into a movie, due to plagiarism, involving alot of events and conversations that take part in the book, and mainly to do with the romance.

I also started watching the new programme on FX called "TrueBlood" which is after a series of books, and as I watch I realise that even more of that is also alike "Twilight". For example, the main female role is a girl called Sookie who can read minds, but she can't read vampire lover's Bill. Remind you of something? Edward cannot read Bella's mind. There are also tips that a member of Sookie's family (who isn't in the series but is mentioned) could see the future.. A little like Alice maybe?

It has also been said that the idea that was brought together by both Stephenie Meyer and Catherine Hardwick (Director of Twilight) the idea of the Cullen family crest. Which has also been called a copy of the idea of the crescent moon that appears on all Vampires heads in the series of "House Of Night". Its not the symbol they see as copying, but the fact that each vampire is marked with it, or recognised by it.

I don't know what to make of it all. All I do when I watch "TrueBlood" is see how much alike it is to twilight in the certain traits the characters have. Its a slightly different storyline. Reading the "House Of Night" the process in which Zoey turns into a Vampire reminds me of that which Bella goes through, both transformations are painful and are described similarly. Having not read "The Nocturne" I cannot comment, but I doubt it will have been made so public if it wasn't that possible!

I still feel the the Twilight books took alot of effort and imagination, so I won't discredit Stephenie for them, because even if you don't like them you can't claim her writing is atrocious. She knows how to write, and she knows how to make up stories. I just feel that maybe she should aim to write something that she can relate to rather than she remembers reading. That way no one can say they did it first.

I did check, and all the books that have accused her of stealing were written before the Twilight Sega, or before the certain book they are claiming has stolen ideas.

Post your comments on the matter.

Blinger1
06-01-2010, 09:20 PM
I don't care if they are stolen, the films are pretty good. Not so much into the books, the girl annoys me because she is so "i hate this" like.

Also, isn't it meant to be a saga, not sega?

Inseriousity.
06-01-2010, 09:28 PM
As much as I hate twilight (harry potter geek through and through :eusa_danc), almost everything nowadays is stolen. Everyone's been saying that the End of Time Dr who episode was almost like star wars! People reuse popular ideas all the time.

You can't even write a book of magic without someone saying "THAT'S HARRY POTTER!" so I find all these "she's stolen this from me, she's stolen that from me" annoying half the time. Although maybe that's because I haven't actually got anything worth nicking, oh well.

Gibs960
06-01-2010, 09:31 PM
As much as I hate twilight (harry potter geek through and through :eusa_danc), almost everything nowadays is stolen. Everyone's been saying that the End of Time Dr who episode was almost like star wars! People reuse popular ideas all the time.

You can't even write a book of magic without someone saying "THAT'S HARRY POTTER!" so I find all these "she's stolen this from me, she's stolen that from me" annoying half the time. Although maybe that's because I haven't actually got anything worth nicking, oh well.

I'm repping you for that! You can't write a magic book without saying "Thats a copy of harry potter" but the difference between harry potter and any other book is harry potter always saves the day. That shouldn't happen in a book I think. And you can steal an idea but you can't steal the way the books make you not want to put them down.

Dan2nd
07-01-2010, 09:20 AM

Even JK Rowling was accused of stealing the idea of 'muggles' from another author

http://www.allbusiness.com/services/motion-pictures/4834379-1.html

Cypher-
07-01-2010, 11:21 AM
Jumping on the fame wagon because someone is a success, look at all the claim to fame's people have claimed off apparent Harry Potter ripoff's, at the end of the day one is a success the other is not but it doesnt mean that the latter can try and ruin the former's success.

Black_Apalachi
07-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Were the things you mentioned definitely written before Twilight?

As much as I hate twilight (harry potter geek through and through :eusa_danc), almost everything nowadays is stolen. Everyone's been saying that the End of Time Dr who episode was almost like star wars! People reuse popular ideas all the time. ...

THE BIT IN THE BAR WHERE HE SAW CAPTAIN JACK REMINDED ME OF STAR WARS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

GommeInc
07-01-2010, 04:25 PM
Were the things you mentioned definitely written before Twilight?

THE BIT IN THE BAR WHERE HE SAW CAPTAIN JACK REMINDED ME OF STAR WARS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Did you start humming the bar tune from Star Wars when that came on? I did :P Infact, my brother and I started singing the tune out loud and were wondering when Luke will cut Jack's hand off!

It wouldn't be at all surprising if the books have huge similarities, alot of stories are based on similar ideologies such as non-wizard/witch/magic folk having to have a name of some sorts and creatures having to have a generic frightening look. The Dementors look awfully similar to Wingwraiths, and possibly were described in the book as something similar (though still, the film copies are just as bad anyway).

Black_Apalachi
07-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Did you start humming the bar tune from Star Wars when that came on? I did :P Infact, my brother and I started singing the tune out loud and were wondering when Luke will cut Jack's hand off!

It wouldn't be at all surprising if the books have huge similarities, alot of stories are based on similar ideologies such as non-wizard/witch/magic folk having to have a name of some sorts and creatures having to have a generic frightening look. The Dementors look awfully similar to Wingwraiths, and possibly were described in the book as something similar (though still, the film copies are just as bad anyway).

Haha yeah it definitly reminded me of it (their tune was even similar) and the way all the different kinds of weird aliens that you haven't seen before were all just sitting around. I'm pretty sure it was probably supposed to be a little reference to Star Wars really.

AND I THOUGHT THAT ABOUT DEMENTORS AND WRINGRAITHS!!!! Lmao but yeah, when it comes to fantasy, there's inevitably going to be a lot of similarities.

Gibs960
07-01-2010, 05:04 PM
Yeah now I think about it that doctor who episode reminded me of the star wars thing, I suppose that most things have similarities.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!