PDA

View Full Version : Are these 'join for free stuff' Facebook groups, scams?

Black_Apalachi
07-01-2010, 02:44 PM
I see variations of these now and again but this is probably the best sounding one so far. It says everyone who joins the group and invites all their friends will automatically be given an iPhone. Group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=230863641594

Sounds too good to be true obviously, and I've noticed that one of the steps you must complete always involves pasting a piece of code into your address bar. I think it's supposed to be a quick way of selecting all your friends, but I'm guessing the scam lies here? Either that or they'll just pass on your address to spam groups etc once you say where you want your free iPhone sent to.

Any techy people fancy having a look at the group to see if you recognise what the code might do? Or could it be genuine?

Cheers xx

alexxxxx
07-01-2010, 02:46 PM
i don't know if they're scams, i just don't think they work.

Nixt
07-01-2010, 02:47 PM
I highly doubt it's genuine. I don't know if they are scams or not, some of them might just be an annoying chain thing. 99.9% sure they aren't real though.

untrustus
07-01-2010, 02:48 PM
they're not 'scams' because they're not taking anything from you (besides your dignity when your friends see you've joined such a ridiculous group), but they're definitely not genuine.

GommeInc
07-01-2010, 02:51 PM
The majority aren't, you've got to look around for official websites, logos and disclaimers. One famous one going around, though not for free stuff, is a Dislike Button where you join, faff around for an hour or so, then get a Dislike Button. Loads of my friends have some how fallen for this, when it's obviously fake as nothing about it makes any sense.

untrustus
07-01-2010, 02:58 PM
the most obvious scams are the ones that say whatever you get will be triggered as soon as you invite your entire friends list to the group. as if inviting your entire friends list will cause the dislike button to magically appear?

Gibs960
07-01-2010, 03:12 PM
There's one where it says join invite all your friends and you'll get a tonne of friend requests
doesn't work, doesn't surpise me. :Sign10:

Black_Apalachi
07-01-2010, 04:04 PM
they're not 'scams' because they're not taking anything from you (besides your dignity when your friends see you've joined such a ridiculous group), but they're definitely not genuine.

I thought maybe when you paste the code into your address bar it might do something. Anyway I thought as much, cheers guys :).

The majority aren't, you've got to look around for official websites, logos and disclaimers. One famous one going around, though not for free stuff, is a Dislike Button where you join, faff around for an hour or so, then get a Dislike Button. Loads of my friends have some how fallen for this, when it's obviously fake as nothing about it makes any sense.

Omg how stupid are they! There's also one about the "New Facebook Chat". How can joining a group activate a Facebook feature! :P

jackass
07-01-2010, 04:09 PM
They're just lies to get more fans/members.

J0SH
07-01-2010, 04:17 PM
They try get as many members then change the name of the group etc to make it look meaningful.

Lew
07-01-2010, 04:28 PM
They try get as many members then change the name of the group etc to make it look meaningful.

Correct

Black_Apalachi
07-01-2010, 04:32 PM
Oh OK, I was gonna say what's the point in gaining lots of members but now it makes sense. Pshhh it's more fun to make a group and hope it doesn't flop :P.

Firehorse
07-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Its not just to make it look meaningful, once you have a group with lots of members you have thousands of people you could potentially spam and advertise to. Look at the group creator, its a fake account just for it.

ItsDave
08-01-2010, 12:33 AM
I like "WE N33D 2 MILLION MEMBERS tO STOP FACEBOOK Charging $14.50 A M0N7H". Besides spelling errors and the location of its offices stated Boob-ville, the mear fact that facebook were to start charging people would lose them millions, it would become very unpopular, and it wouldn't be the unstoppable beast it is today.

ecstasy
08-01-2010, 04:58 PM
Any group that claims you can acheive something by inviting your entire friends list is a load of bull. Same with the ones like "No school on fridays - Need 5,000,000 members to make it official". Some people are so gullable :rolleyes:

Aces
08-01-2010, 08:01 PM
who cares if you have 5 or 5,000,000 members in your group?

ColyTom
08-01-2010, 08:02 PM
These groups really do annoy me so much =/

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!