PDA

View Full Version : Schools all over Ireland closed until next thursday

Richie
08-01-2010, 05:50 PM
For those members from Ireland http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0108/educationweather.html

Technologic
08-01-2010, 06:02 PM
But theres hardly any snow in Ireland?????

Richie
08-01-2010, 06:07 PM
But theres hardly any snow in Ireland?????

I know, in the country there is apparently loads, In dublin (city center) we havent had snow this bad since 1966 apparently :P

But its funny because were I live theres max 2inch of snow

jackass
08-01-2010, 06:13 PM
How ridiculous...

Richie
08-01-2010, 06:15 PM
How ridiculous...

Yeah our country is a joke, but hey I don't care, some nice time off ;). Watch considering I'm bragging now I bet they will say "schools will now re-open on monday due to darkenemy bragging ;l"

Immenseman
08-01-2010, 06:16 PM
haha, lucky you. bad bad bad decision but hey ho if i was irish i wouldn't be complaining :D

Hecktix
08-01-2010, 06:19 PM
I think it's dreadful, I know the education system in ROI is different to the UK although I was talking to Tara (wixard) earlier and she was saying how she has quite important exams in 2 weeks, and now with 1 week off school that's going to be quite hard to revise etc.

I think it's incredibly unfair, I can understand colleges and stuff being closed this week but if my college stops me going in next week then I'll probably complain because at the end of the day, we have important exams coming up!

Immenseman
08-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Yeah, it's all well and good having time off but when you're constantly missing time when you're more than capable of getting in then it's the wrong decision. Missing so much education time is hindering their chance of doing better in exams. Obviously, some people will use it to revise but others will use it as a holiday and just bum around until Thursday. I have my a level exams next week so I'm personally hoping the snow isn't too bad, well certainly not for the beginning of the week anyway :P

PaulMacC
08-01-2010, 06:23 PM
I hope I get off on Monday and Tuesday so I can play Call of Duty and get epic no scopes.

Hecktix
08-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Yeah, it's all well and good having time off but when you're constantly missing time when you're more than capable of getting in then it's the wrong decision. Missing so much education time is hindering their chance of doing better in exams. Obviously, some people will use it to revise but others will use it as a holiday and just bum around until Thursday. I have my a level exams next week so I'm personally hoping the snow isn't too bad, well certainly not for the beginning of the week anyway :P

My college has said that if the college sites close they wont be holding the exams. This is despicable in my opinion.

jackass
08-01-2010, 06:25 PM
I've got exams next week, and we've been told that, even if the schools closed and no matter how bad the weather conditions are, the exams will still be on. :S

Richie
08-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Its fine for me though because I don't have important exams until next year, but if I was in taras position i'd be pissed off.

Hecktix
08-01-2010, 06:28 PM
I've got exams next week, and we've been told that, even if the schools closed and no matter how bad the weather conditions are, the exams will still be on. :S

I'd say that's fair, the exams are quite important. I've got an AS resit that i've paid to do, so if our college cancels it I hope they'll be giving me my money back. Even if they said "we'll pay for you to do it in June instead" i'd be unhappy because that's more exams for June :p

Jahova
08-01-2010, 06:30 PM
What a joke. A bit extreme isn't it?

Richie
08-01-2010, 06:31 PM
What a joke. A bit extreme isn't it?

Yeah I agree it is, but I'm not complaining :D

Immenseman
08-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Yeah, our college have said it will defo be open. The exams lady is staying at a B&B down the road so it doesn't close LMAOO, even if college closes it will be open for exams so everyone who is taking them should try and get in.

Yoshimitsui
08-01-2010, 07:05 PM
That's the new 'pandemic' on the news now that students are missing exams or will be as of next week. To be honest, snow comes and everyone panics. There was talk about having them take them in the summer or get a predicted grade bases on other work, madness.

Absently
08-01-2010, 07:07 PM
I'ma just study at home 'cus there's nothing better to do.

Dan2nd
08-01-2010, 07:11 PM
my mum works in a school and has said they are opening for some sort of exams next week even if there is snow... and the exam board have said anyone who doesn't turn up to take it will just fail sort of unfair for people who genuinly may have difficulty.

Richie
08-01-2010, 07:26 PM
That's the new 'pandemic' on the news now that students are missing exams or will be as of next week. To be honest, snow comes and everyone panics. There was talk about having them take them in the summer or get a predicted grade bases on other work, madness.

Wow considering to get students to take them in the summer is hectic but discussing to base their grades on their work is a stupid idea.

Technologic
08-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Theyre probably closing cus they have no money to run them lololol

Yoshimitsui
08-01-2010, 08:34 PM
It's all the claims and compensation malarkey. If a student falls or gets hit by a snowball you can guarantee its going to be who can cause the most fuss over it and who is to blame because a path wasn't cleared. Headteachers are at the brink of it, so they say 'too much snow, well have to shut'.

hah
08-01-2010, 08:38 PM
It's all the claims and compensation malarkey. If a student falls or gets hit by a snowball you can guarantee its going to be who can cause the most fuss over it and who is to blame because a path wasn't cleared. Headteachers are at the brink of it, so they say 'too much snow, well have to shut'.

This, there is about 3inches of snow and under that is a layer of ice. I have mocks next month but im guessing its gunna be moved in taras case.

luce
08-01-2010, 08:45 PM
im going to go melt all the snow and then they'll be sorry.

but yeah talk about premature closer of schools :P!

Ardemax
08-01-2010, 09:24 PM
silly important irish ppl

Robbie
08-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Met Office says we're getting severe snow Sunday and Monday. I really don't want it to snow. I have English exam on Monday , 9am. Media exam Weds, 1.30. I.T exam Thurs, 1.30. Sociology exam Fri 1.30

The only one im worried about getting in for is english as its in the morning and if it snows no buses will be running and it takes 1hr 45 from my house walking to college

Immenseman
08-01-2010, 09:48 PM
walking to college isn't an option for me, would take hourssssssss and hours.

xxMATTGxx
09-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Interesting, I understand how they were closed around me this week due to how bad the roads and pavements were. But closed until Thursday in Ireland? Madness. Although a high school near me isn't open this Monday and Tuesday but only certain students have to go in for exams or revision. Although my college is fully open on Monday! ;[

hah
11-01-2010, 07:21 PM
btw this was a fail and schools can send students back when they feel its safe, im back wed :'(

they didnt get the snow they expected and all snow that was here is almost melted

Black_Apalachi
11-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Wow, don't you get like 4 months for your summer holiday?

Richie
11-01-2010, 08:57 PM
Wow, don't you get like 4 months for your summer holiday?

yh we do also for those who dnt know schools open 2mo

leah
11-01-2010, 09:04 PM
my college is closed for ages cause of ice :eusa_clap

-K8T!E-
11-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Theres about 4 inches where I live, didn't say on the rte website if my school is open tomorrow or not but I doubt anyones gonna go in where I live seeing as we got way more snow than the rest of the country.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!