PDA

View Full Version : side effects of giving up smoking?

buttons
11-01-2010, 03:30 PM
i obviously know all the benefits but i need some side effects

it's day 14 (feels a lot longer) and:

i find it hard to sleep because ironically i can hardly breathe o.o
iv ended up eating a lot more & actually being hungry
i have less energy than i used to :S

i thought it'd make me feel better but atm i feel quite run down but i can tell it's doing me good. anyone with personal experience please n thx.

Pix
11-01-2010, 03:57 PM
I quit smoking like 6 months ago and in the first 3 months or something i kept flipping at everything so easily and would just end up slamming doors and crap. Like you've mentioned i was soooo hungry all the time and couldnt sleep at times becuase i just felt.. different or something. But yeah it's all good now

Eoin
11-01-2010, 04:32 PM
im on day 9 of cutting down, with the intention to stop soon. tbh ive been a cranky bas and just gettin wound up about small things. ive started coughing up loads of greener. ive also started drinking more alchohol? (maybe to compensate or sumin, idk)

apart from that is going good, managed to cut down to 5-7 a day :D

Pyroka
11-01-2010, 04:51 PM
i hear you just get a bit more irritated & ure a bit out there when it comes to ppl speakin to u.

good to know ure quittin jen u go glen coco

Alkaz
11-01-2010, 05:06 PM
one side effect would be being healthier

Geraint
11-01-2010, 06:33 PM
have you just given up straight away. think it's better to gradually work your way down.

it does make you feel like that though as your body is used to the nicotine. should go though. try patches. although, i'm no expert.

buttons
11-01-2010, 07:39 PM
I quit smoking like 6 months ago and in the first 3 months or something i kept flipping at everything so easily and would just end up slamming doors and crap. Like you've mentioned i was soooo hungry all the time and couldnt sleep at times becuase i just felt.. different or something. But yeah it's all good now

im on day 9 of cutting down, with the intention to stop soon. tbh ive been a cranky bas and just gettin wound up about small things. ive started coughing up loads of greener. ive also started drinking more alchohol? (maybe to compensate or sumin, idk)

apart from that is going good, managed to cut down to 5-7 a day :D
i don't feel irritated i feel quite good other than being tired. i'm dreading going drinking because i tend to smoke more then and i'll deffo be next to smokers this weekend :( i have the willpower though so it's kk.

i hear you just get a bit more irritated & ure a bit out there when it comes to ppl speakin to u.

good to know ure quittin jen u go glen coco
high5! this is ONLY like my 5th time trying :) idk when i'm supposed to get irritated i know i felt down for the first few days other than that i'm okay.

one side effect would be being healthier
hi. that's a benefit. i didn't ask for those.

have you just given up straight away. think it's better to gradually work your way down.

it does make you feel like that though as your body is used to the nicotine. should go though. try patches. although, i'm no expert.
i just gave up and it wasn't even planned, i've tried cutting down before and it didn't work. i'd "forget" how many i'd already smoked and end up having more anyway. i think it's just better to go straight into, i tried patches before and everytime i was around smoke (which isn't hard because most my friends do) i'd feel so so sick that i'd just take it off and end up having one.

also, i haven't put on any weight so far. so i'm hoping it stays that way:eusa_danc

leah
11-01-2010, 07:42 PM
omg jen thats so good! :)
my friend tried it and she used to feel angry all the time?

FlyingJesus
11-01-2010, 10:50 PM
You'll think you're more hungry because you need something else to do instead of smoke, tobacco smoke only has a very small effect on hunger so unless you were smoking all day every day before then lack of nicotine isn't likely to be the cause of wanting to eat more. It's difficult in winter especially with all this ice and snow about to go out and do stuff but you need to find something to keep you busy even if it's just a game you like or a new skill to work on like highland toss.

Tiredness is more likely to be due to the weather and general mood, again the time of year doesn't help much, oddly enough getting up early seems to help because then you feel fresher and less like the day is just a waste in which case you won't want to do anything at all and you do feel tired and crap.

idk why you can't breathe/sleep probably some of that cheek fat running into your throat.

LuketheDuke
11-01-2010, 11:17 PM
i have all of those symptoms atm, best thing for them is patches as they work wonders.

drinking water excessively helps me. :S

Pix
11-01-2010, 11:56 PM
drinking water excessively helps me. :S
that helped me sooo much!

,Lexiilu
20-01-2010, 09:57 PM
because your cilia have probably been paralyzed they're probably coming back to life so its hard for youto breathe right now. your lungs are adjusting to life without the smoke. your brain is adjusting to life without the nicotine. just hang in there. withdrawl sucks but once you get through it, you'll feel so much better. you need time to adjust first, thats one reason why you feel so strange, because you've been with it, and now you have to live without it. DONT GO BACK. you'll want to, because you'll think it'll feel better, and I'm not going to lie, it will, but it'll be 10x more hard to quit the next time.

from the exp. of my mom, a 20 year smoker who quit in feb. 2009 and gone nearly a year smoke free :)
(she smoked from age 15/16 to 35)

Arch
21-01-2010, 01:10 AM
I havnt read all replys BUT
Tbh its hell the first few months but after you reach a certain point all is normal and you will find everything perfectly fine. Also as someone else said drinking lots of water or chewing gum/eating sunflower seeds also helps ALOT.

buttons
22-01-2010, 11:13 AM
I havnt read all replys BUT
Tbh its hell the first few months but after you reach a certain point all is normal and you will find everything perfectly fine. Also as someone else said drinking lots of water or chewing gum/eating sunflower seeds also helps ALOT.
i bought myself nice new lipgloss and put it on everytime i was near someone with a ***, didn't want to ruin my lipgloss by having one :eusa_danc or i'd put a lollipop in my mouth.

because your cilia have probably been paralyzed they're probably coming back to life so its hard for youto breathe right now. your lungs are adjusting to life without the smoke. your brain is adjusting to life without the nicotine. just hang in there. withdrawl sucks but once you get through it, you'll feel so much better. you need time to adjust first, thats one reason why you feel so strange, because you've been with it, and now you have to live without it. DONT GO BACK. you'll want to, because you'll think it'll feel better, and I'm not going to lie, it will, but it'll be 10x more hard to quit the next time.
yeah at the time i posted i really couldn't breathe but now i can and it feels oo good. after that though my ears started getting sore and the back of my throat, the reason i used to get like that was because of smoking so i reckon it's all just clearing up, i don't want to go back through that again so i've deffo gave up now :P

You'll think you're more hungry because you need something else to do instead of smoke, tobacco smoke only has a very small effect on hunger so unless you were smoking all day every day before then lack of nicotine isn't likely to be the cause of wanting to eat more. It's difficult in winter especially with all this ice and snow about to go out and do stuff but you need to find something to keep you busy even if it's just a game you like or a new skill to work on like highland toss.

Tiredness is more likely to be due to the weather and general mood, again the time of year doesn't help much, oddly enough getting up early seems to help because then you feel fresher and less like the day is just a waste in which case you won't want to do anything at all and you do feel tired and crap.

idk why you can't breathe/sleep probably some of that cheek fat running into your throat.
i used to smoke whenever i was hungry, it'd stop me wanting to eat so i think it actually was that... + i've got extremely lazy now. when i smoked i still exercised but now i can't be arsed even though i've got loads of energy. i was just gonna give up THEN start my exercising so that's next on the agenda .... i dunno how much weight i'm meant to put on but i've put on 4lbs in the 3 weeks. i don't think that's too bad considering i'm STILL underweight but now my skin is clearing up better and i look healthier so i can't complain. i get up before 8am (normally 6:30am) everyday anyway and i don't feel as run down anymore
i'm not fat........ :(

anyway thx il +rep whoever

RedStratocas
22-01-2010, 02:27 PM
ive never been a smoker but i remember my ex quitting. it kinda sucks, but unfortunately you probably shouldnt drink alcohol for a while either, as that will most likely make you want to smoke more, especially the morning after. drinking water and chewing gum is good, as is making excuses not to smoke (as someone said before putting lip gloss on, seems ridiculous but fooling your brain for a while isnt that terrible). however one thing you dont want to do is give yourself a vice to replace the feeling every time you want a cigarette. really you want to get out of a habit altogether, and replacing it with something else will probably just make you want a cigarette more when the feeling isnt satisfying. just going cold turkey is really the way to go, as hard as it may be.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!