PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to Windows 7 - Few questions?

Markeh
11-01-2010, 10:22 PM
I'm upgrading from Vista 32-bit Home Premium to 7 32-bit Home Premium, preferably by doing an in-place upgrade

A. Will I need to set up access to my wireless networks and network drives/printers again?
B. Will it cause any problems when I sync my iPod touch?
C. How long would it take (an approximate figure, I'm on a dual core, 3Gb RAM)
D. Will I be able to get Winamp 5.56 working on Windows 7?

+REP to answers.

Recursion
11-01-2010, 10:26 PM
No, No, inplace upgrades could take a long time, yes.

Markeh
11-01-2010, 10:29 PM
I gotta spread mate, sorry.

But thanks anyway for your advice. My "free" upgrade (HP = conmen) has been shipped and should hopefully be with me by the weekend (depending on the weather), and I shall upgrade then.

Colin-Roberts
11-01-2010, 10:55 PM
I had to redo my wireless internet when i upgraded but that maybe because of how i did it.

Markeh
16-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Right, you know in the stage of installation where it says "Go Online to get the latest updates for installation"? Will that work over wi-fi, or will I need to plug into my router via Ethernet?

EDIT: And its asking me to uninstall Catylist control center (NO WAY, THATS GRAPHICS, I refuse to uninstall), and iTunes. do I absolutely HAVE to uninstall them?

GommeInc
16-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Catalyst control centre is only the control centre, the display drivers will install or be kept untouched throughout the upgrade :) As for iTunes, I'm fairly certain reinstalling it afterwards won't be a bad thing. Wouldn't it with-hold some information anyway?

Jack!
16-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Wont you lose all your itunes music?

GommeInc
16-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Wont you lose all your itunes music?
iTunes still does that? I thought they allowed proper files that could actually be kept on the computer somewhere for all the enjoy :/

Markeh
16-01-2010, 05:37 PM
I have all my iTunes music backed up. Are the iPod apps stored in the USERNAME>Music folder?

Right, guys, I REALLY need to know this quick bit.

Will the bits of the installation that require internet be able to use the onboard wi-fi, as we have no wired connection (or ethernet lead to plug it into the router).

Recursion
16-01-2010, 06:24 PM
I have all my iTunes music backed up. Are the iPod apps stored in the USERNAME>Music folder?

Right, guys, I REALLY need to know this quick bit.

Will the bits of the installation that require internet be able to use the onboard wi-fi, as we have no wired connection (or ethernet lead to plug it into the router).

If it can't use WiFi it won't (if you're upgrading within Windows it'll work fo sho), just tell it to download them.

iPod Apps are indeed backed up there.

iTunes won't delete all your music if you remove it.

Markeh
16-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Dude you are a lifesaver. We're upgrading it from within Vista, so this means I won't have to rush down to Maplins to get an ethernet cable tomorrow morning.

Got to spread rep tho Recursion (I keep giving you rep cos your a damn good helper when I often screw up). Others will get rep if I can.

Recursion
16-01-2010, 08:50 PM
No problemo :P

Markeh
17-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Install went successfully, didn't uninstall the programs and I can't say that I've had a problem so far.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!