PDA

View Full Version : Vista Problem

BeanEgg
16-01-2010, 06:04 PM
My Vista PC regularly starts to restart all by itself without asking me.

How can I sort this out?

Regards,
Sam

Moved by Jamesy (Forum Super Moderator): From "Technology Discussion"

Flisker
16-01-2010, 06:07 PM
How do you mean?

If you mean that you leave it on during the night and you wake up and its restarted that might be because of Windows Updates.

If you mean you are working on something and it randomly restarts it could be a hardware or software problem.

Recursion
16-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Windows/Software Updates or CPU overheating are the most likely reasons.

BeanEgg
16-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Never mind, I just opened my PC up, opened the processor and vacuumed it,
as well as the fan. :)

Thanks anyway! (:

BeanEgg
16-01-2010, 11:01 PM
Ah!

It started again.

CPU temp is average 21degrees/69F
System Temp varies from 27-33degrees.

CPU fan speed 1767. :(

Should I change to a better fan or something?

vcore is 1.328 volts
vbat is 3.008 volts if that helps.

Grippz
16-01-2010, 11:07 PM
You can't be certain its your CPU that is over-heating. Go into your BIOS and enable the CPU over-heating alarm. If it sounds then there is a problem. If it doesn't its a system problem. btw.. You really shouldn't hoover a computer out.. If it causes static electricity and it hits your board.. BANG! you have no computer :) Buy an air-duster :D

BeanEgg
16-01-2010, 11:24 PM
You can't be certain its your CPU that is over-heating. Go into your BIOS and enable the CPU over-heating alarm. If it sounds then there is a problem. If it doesn't its a system problem. btw.. You really shouldn't hoover a computer out.. If it causes static electricity and it hits your board.. BANG! you have no computer :) Buy an air-duster :D

I'm good with my hands! :D

Yea, could you tell me what the causes could be?
This also tends to happen when I run the updates. - It doesn't prompt me to restart it just does it.. Usually it does ask me.

Could be a virus, but I doubt it, or it could be CPU temp. - What are the average temps?

Also could someone recommend me some fans?
Thanks!!

xxMATTGxx
16-01-2010, 11:27 PM
I'm good with my hands! :D

Yea, could you tell me what the causes could be?
This also tends to happen when I run the updates. - It doesn't prompt me to restart it just does it.. Usually it does ask me.

Could be a virus, but I doubt it, or it could be CPU temp. - What are the average temps?

Also could someone recommend me some fans?
Thanks!!

For one change the windows updates setting so it doesn't do that if you aren't aware of it. Normally it gives you a countdown :S, you could always try running a virus scan if you think anything might be on your computer but it's normally good doing a scan every so often anyway.

Recursion
16-01-2010, 11:31 PM
21c is very good for a CPU temperature.

BeanEgg
16-01-2010, 11:34 PM
21c is very good for a CPU temperature.

I thought it was.

But then the system temp was been tipping 33degrees.

xxMATTGxx
16-01-2010, 11:34 PM
I thought it was.

But then the system temp was been tipping 33degrees.

That's also a normal temperature for the CPU. :)

DaveTaylor
16-01-2010, 11:36 PM
Have you registered your version of Vista, due to the fact that it will restart after two hours of use if not registered/activated?

Right click Computer > properties and see if it's activated, if not that's why, as it won't warn you about the restart.

HotelUser
16-01-2010, 11:37 PM
That happened to me when I had to run Vista. I just did a fresh Vista installation and it fixed it. Never found out what caused it.

BeanEgg
16-01-2010, 11:39 PM
Thanks Matt, so I know it's not temp.

That happened to me when I had to run Vista. I just did a fresh Vista installation and it fixed it. Never found out what caused it.
Was thinking about doing it. - Just have to find the time.

Have you registered your version of Vista, due to the fact that it will restart after two hours of use if not registered/activated?

Right click Computer > properties and see if it's activated, if not that's why, as it won't warn you about the restart.
Yea it is registered and it's legit.

I guess it's just Vista and it's rubbish interface, eh?

Grippz
16-01-2010, 11:41 PM
Nothing wrong with your CPU temp therefore you don't need to look into buying a new fan. As matt said isn't there a little yellow box? That asks you to restart now or postpone the restart.

Maybe you have postponed the restart, gone away from the computer, the time in which you asked it to postpone has expired therefore restarted.

After you have noticed it restart do you get any notifications upon load-up saying installing updates, step 1 - 3 etc?? - If not it might not be a update problem hmhm ;/

DaveTaylor
16-01-2010, 11:42 PM
another possible issue is driver issues, I had this once on XP x64, two drivers weren't compatible with eachother, causing a restart, think back to when it started happening and think about new programs, parts, etc which you have added/installed since it's happened, might be an issue to do with that.

BeanEgg
16-01-2010, 11:46 PM
As I said, it usually has the yellow box, but today it never done that and it restarted. ;)

Yea, Dave I haven't upgraded or installed anything new in the past 48 hours.

Also, earlier my anti virus caught an IRCBOT, could this crash my PC?

Grippz
16-01-2010, 11:48 PM
IRCBOT won't cause your system to crash. I think i have pulled something up im just reading it at the mo

IRCBOT info - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Relay_Chat_bot

DaveTaylor
16-01-2010, 11:54 PM
As I said, it usually has the yellow box, but today it never done that and it restarted. ;)

Yea, Dave I haven't upgraded or installed anything new in the past 48 hours.

Also, earlier my anti virus caught an IRCBOT, could this crash my PC?

Do you run loads of programs at the same time? Also how much RAM have you got?

BeanEgg
16-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Do you run loads of programs at the same time? Also how much RAM have you got?
Not at the moment
2GB
CPU usage: 45% (at the moment)

DaveTaylor
16-01-2010, 11:59 PM
Not at the moment
2GB
CPU usage: 45% (at the moment)

I am wondering if you are loading too many programs, filling your RAM and it's just crashing out and Virtual memory isn't kicking in.

Grippz
17-01-2010, 12:01 AM
Can you check your event viewer in vista, See if any critical errors have been logged etc.. Type 'Event Viewer' into your start menu search option

BeanEgg
17-01-2010, 12:17 AM
Can you check your event viewer in vista, See if any critical errors have been logged etc.. Type 'Event Viewer' into your start menu search option

Few errors and warnings from:

WMI
DistributedCOM
Dhcp-Client
User Profile Service
Servicing
WinLogon
Application Hang
Kernal-Power (This is critical)

These are the most common ones.

Grippz
17-01-2010, 12:24 AM
Few errors and warnings from:

WMI
DistributedCOM
Dhcp-Client
User Profile Service
Servicing
WinLogon
Application Hang
Kernal-Power (This is critical)

These are the most common ones.

Kernal-Power (This is critical) - thats your problem

Have you put anything new into the computer such as a graphics card? - Your CPU is not getting enough power..

Does the restart happen after bringing back the computer from sleep? etc let me knoww!! :)

EDIT: You might just be best off re-installing windows vista. There are too many probable causes for the problem ;/

BeanEgg
17-01-2010, 12:31 AM
Kernal-Power (This is critical) - thats your problem

Have you put anything new into the computer such as a graphics card? - Your CPU is not getting enough power..

Does the restart happen after bringing back the computer from sleep? etc let me knoww!! :)

Nothing new.

It's been fine for ages now, few hours now.
Basically it just randomly switches off. It might be a power problem;

It might be because I put my cables onto an extension lead, and the power is only going through one cable.

xxMATTGxx
17-01-2010, 12:36 AM
Nothing new.

It might be because I put my cables onto an extension lead, and the power is only going through one cable.

I would suggest back up any important stuff you can and format that and see how you go from there.

Grippz
17-01-2010, 12:40 AM
Nothing new.

I don't think its the extension lead problem becos it wouldn't restart the power would be cut auto and the fuse would blow.. Also i think i would have more problems than you :D!

http://i47.tinypic.com/2mr9l3p.jpg

BeanEgg
17-01-2010, 12:40 AM
Thanks to everyone who helped. :)

I'll reformat my PC if the issue persists.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!