PDA

View Full Version : Quick ISP help.

PaulMacC
18-01-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm about to phone BT about switching ISP. I need to ask for a code. What exactly do I say when I phone them

Tomm
18-01-2010, 05:09 PM
That you want to request a MAC code. Do not cancel your current broadband though, just get the MAC code.

PaulMacC
18-01-2010, 11:00 PM
So, I ring BT and say can I have my MAC code. Do they have to give me it by law. Also when my new ISP enters my MAC code will it cancel my old one.
I've been with BT for 15-ish months now, will I have to pay cancellation fees as I've heard if you've been with them 12+ months there will be none. Will the MAC code only shut off my internet with BT when entered. I want to keep the phone service

Tomm
18-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Under ofcom regulations they have to provide a MAC code to you within 5 days of requesting it. When your service is transfered over to your new ISP your current BT contract should be canceled automatically, but I recommend you check to make sure after you are with your new provider. The MAC code only effects your internet and unless you have some kind of specific package it should have no effect on your phone. Check with BT to see if you will incur any cancelation fees.

N!ck
18-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Yes they have to give it to you. Mention the word Ofcom if they're being funny with you. Be warned they will try and keep you by offering deals. If you have not agreed to a contract with BT to stay for a further 12 months or whatever then there won't be cancellation fees. If you did agree to a contract once your first 12 months were up you will have to pay if you want to leave. Once Be have your MAC code the code gives them the authority to cancel your BT service and start thiers. Be will cancel your old service with BT and almost simultaneously enable you with them once you're ready to be enabled. It is only for the internet, not telephone.

PaulMacC
18-01-2010, 11:13 PM
Okay, thats great. I'm a bit nervous on the phone so what exactly should I say to them. My dad and mum are too lazy and wont do it so I've gotta do it myself.

Recursion
18-01-2010, 11:23 PM
Ring up, say you just want your MAC code, no offers, DONT cancel the broadband just yet. If they are funny about giving you your MAC code tell them that you will complain to OFCOM to force it off them, they'll soon pass it over.

Funny really, we just moved from BT a few months ago from Eclipse Internet :P

Swearwolf
18-01-2010, 11:25 PM
"hi, im calling about getting a MAC code for my internet" *wait for their response* "also is there any cancellation fees" *etc*

N!ck
18-01-2010, 11:34 PM
Make sure you know any details that they will want to know such as the name of who they bill, phone number of the line etc. It would be best to have a bill or something from them to hand just incase. Maybe customer number or something I don't know?

PaulMacC
19-01-2010, 02:35 AM
Someone gave me a number for "canceling my broadband" would that be who I would ask?

Stryderman
19-01-2010, 02:44 AM
Someone gave me a number for "canceling my broadband" would that be who I would ask?

Yes indeedy

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!