PDA

View Full Version : Psychology

MJJ
18-01-2010, 06:47 PM
I'm doing my GCSEs this year, and I have to pick my A Level subjects by the end of this month.

So far, I've chosen Biology, Chemistry and Maths, but I'm a bit confused with my fourth one. I was thinking about doing Physics because I'm good at it, but I really hate it, so now I'm thinking about Psychology.

It sounds pretty interesting, but I want to know what it's like.

Does anyone here do it for A Level? Is it interesting, or is it really hard? Is it hard to get a good grade in it?

I want to do some sort of science or medicine at University, so I guess it's kind of useful as well, but I don't want to do it then end up getting a really bad grade in it.

Hecktix
18-01-2010, 06:49 PM
I love Psychology however most people who take it because it "sounds" interesting don't like it.

Psychology is the understanding of why we behave and think in certain ways, studying psychology includes in depth research into methodology and previous research.

You have to be evaluative and be able to speak your own opinions.

I'm very biased towards Psychology though, I also plan to do it at uni.

Melsia
18-01-2010, 06:50 PM
I do it and I love it and find it soooo interesting however if you're doing maths and the other sciences it would probably be better for you to do physics if you want to to medicine in the future.

Inseriousity.
18-01-2010, 06:52 PM
I dropped psychology for A2 mainly cos the gap from AS to A2 seemed far too wide for my liking compared to my other subjects. However, I did enjoy psychology at AS. I think you have to go in there with an open mind, excuse the pun, because otherwise it's going to get confusing. I particularly enjoyed the more social psychology, such as Milgram. Milgram is a legend :D

Immenseman
I'd really advise you not to take psychology for A-level from my own experiences. Basically, I did it in year 12 for AS, I hated every single moment of it, I and so many others had this impression it'd be really interesting, it's not. It's all about case studies and research methods, it's boring as anything, honestly. With regards to grades, it's pretty easy to do well. I hated it and managed to get an A and then dropped it. I was told this when I was choosing by JackBuddy on the forum but I didn't listen because I thought that was just his opinion and it sounded really interesting. It's NOT interesting! Don't pick it :)

Hecktix
I do it and I love it and find it soooo interesting however if you're doing maths and the other sciences it would probably be better for you to do physics if you want to to medicine in the future.

How on earth would physics aid a degree in medicine?

Psychology is far better suited because there will be psychological aspects to any medicine degree (if it's patient related).

@ Myke, Milgram is a legend, but not as much of a legend as Freud

& Jake, it's all down to personal opinion really. I love looking into the research, and methodology is key to understanding previous research which is key to understanding psychological theories.

Immenseman
18-01-2010, 06:54 PM
DON'T LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE SERIOUSLY, IT'S SO BORING.

Hecktix
18-01-2010, 06:55 PM
DON'T LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE SERIOUSLY, IT'S SO BORING.

That's your opinion.

Tash.
18-01-2010, 06:57 PM
I did it at A-Level and although I did initially struggle it's all about learning what the exam wants from you. After that it's simple enough to just learn the stuff. I found it pretty interesting but the final exam for the exam board we did was a killer. It literally wrecked 2 years of hard work (got a U) because I had that and Law on the same day. Basically the last exam is a round up of everything you've learnt over the 2 years and woah there is so much to learn. Anyway, if you think you'll like learning about dreams, sleep patterns, love, stress, mental illness (schizophrenia, OCD), relationships, attachment all sorts of things then i'd say go for it :) Judging by what you're taking it might compliment the sciences while giving you a bit of a break at the same time.

Inseriousity.
18-01-2010, 06:58 PM

Psychology is far better suited because there will be psychological aspects to any medicine degree (if it's patient related).

& Jake, it's all down to personal opinion really. I love looking into the research, and methodology is key to understanding previous research which is key to understanding psychological theories.

Freud made me laugh. :)
Funnily enough, I'm sure I read somewhere that biology wasn't that important if you wanted to do medicine so you never know jake, psychics might be better! :P

As for being boring, yes I agree, most of it is boring. Do sociology lolol, we need to recruit more members to our hxf sociology society (ye, I'm joking, don't do it just cos of that).

Immenseman
18-01-2010, 06:59 PM
MJJ is bound to listen to my opinion. It's useless too. The amount of people who do it thinking they're going to have a career in psychology is just ridiculous. I think you should do a subject that proves to Universities and future employers that you can exercise the other side of your brain, the more qualitative side and you should try and do something like English/History which are much more respected than Psychology and prove you're more than just a science/maths whiz. Make you the more complete article, anybody can do well in Psychology. It's easy.

Tash.
18-01-2010, 07:02 PM
MJJ is bound to listen to my opinion. It's useless too. The amount of people who do it thinking they're going to have a career in psychology is just ridiculous. I think you should do a subject that proves to Universities and future employers that you can exercise the other side of your brain, the more qualitative side and you should try and do something like English/History which are much more respected than Psychology and prove you're more than just a science/maths whiz. Make you the more complete article, anybody can do well in Psychology. It's easy.

Honestly, alot of that post is untrue. Psychology is a respected subject for universities and it is hard. The subject matter is complex and engaging and not only are you using scientific content you are using maths (for the stats side) and arguing as there is often a debatable question in the exam. Personally, I think psychology should be one of the most respected subjects as you need several skills to do wll in it.

Glitter
18-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Psychology is one of those subjects you've got to actually like and have a passion for to be good at it, if you don't enjoy it, its harddd, its hard anyway, and requires a lot of work imo.
I really like it, and find the majority of it interesting, however there are some very tedious aspects. I suggest you do a bit of reading and your own research to decide if its actually a subject for you.
Oli might like it, and Jake might hate it, so it kinda depends!

Immenseman
18-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Mhm, I acknowledge and understand what you're saying about using multiple skills but I hardly tried for the subject last year and got a comfortable A grade before dropping it.

Hecktix
18-01-2010, 07:05 PM

If you had stayed on for A2 Psychology you wouldn't say it is easy.
Psychology is not a waste of time, nor is it easy. A lot of people take Psychology and very few go into careers in psychological fields because it is so complex and competitive to get a job in most psychological fields.

Whereas psychology has a high pass rate at AS it is a completely different story at A2 as A2 tackles Psychology as more of a science subject rather than the bland introduction students are given at AS.

Psychology in life is extremely important, and if you have an interest in how we live our lives and how people behave it's well worth taking, psychology will teach you very interesting things. It's a fascinating subject, if you like how the mind functions and how we behave how we do, but don't get confused, it's not all HOW THE BRAIN WORKS or WHY DO PEOPLE TURN INTO PSYCHOPATHS etc, there is a lot of statistical analysis and more simple things such as child development.

Immenseman
18-01-2010, 07:07 PM
However, if she has already planned her career and wants to go down a specific route then she'd more than likely drop it after AS anyway seeing as her other subjects are more respected and will aid her more.

Hecktix
18-01-2010, 07:13 PM
However, if she has already planned her career and wants to go down a specific route then she'd more than likely drop it after AS anyway seeing as her other subjects are more respected and will aid her more.

Therefore she would choose to focus more on the other three during her AS year therefore taking on a coursework demanding subject such as English or History would be problematic.

Immenseman
18-01-2010, 07:14 PM
No coursework in History in the first year.

Tash.
18-01-2010, 07:15 PM
No coursework in History in the first year.

No, but the one in the 2nd year (along with any resits you may have to take) is a killer (speaking from experience here). Plus, History is no easy subject and I had passion for it which was almost killed by AS history. She should only choose history if she has a genuine interest, it is no filler subject at all.

Immenseman
18-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Yeah, psychology is defo easier. I did both at AS, History was by far more enjoyable and more respectable though.

Hecktix
18-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Yeah, psychology is defo easier. I did both at AS, History was by far more enjoyable and more respectable though.

In terms of "respectable", Psychology is no media studies. It's fine.

Black_Apalachi
18-01-2010, 07:31 PM
I did it at A Level but I can't really comment because we had a **** teacher for the first year (she was sacked after that year) so a different teacher had to pretty much cram both years worth into the second year and we all ended up resitting pretty much everything. I would have enjoyed it more and I don't think I would have found it as hard if we'd been taught properly. Although I think it probably is one of the harder A Level subjects, to be fair.

Anyway I went on to do it at uni and I go find it interesting. Although you could easily not do it at A Level but then do it at uni because my first year of uni was pretty much a repeat of A Level.

MJJ
18-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Oh wow, lots of posts. I didn't expect so many replies.

It's useless too. The amount of people who do it thinking they're going to have a career in psychology is just ridiculous. I think you should do a subject that proves to Universities and future employers that you can exercise the other side of your brain, the more qualitative side and you should try and do something like English/History which are much more respected than Psychology and prove you're more than just a science/maths whiz. Make you the more complete article, anybody can do well in Psychology. It's easy.

That's what a lot of people have told me. Apparently I'd be better off studying Physics because it would be more useful, but will it really make much of a difference if I decide to study Psychology instead of Physics? Because I really can't stand Physics.

It's a fascinating subject, if you like how the mind functions and how we behave how we do, but don't get confused, it's not all HOW THE BRAIN WORKS or WHY DO PEOPLE TURN INTO PSYCHOPATHS etc, there is a lot of statistical analysis and more simple things such as child development.

I've been reading about the different things you study in Psychology for A Level, and it really does sound very interesting. I've also heard that a few people have found it very difficult, but I guess if you enjoy it, and have the motivation to study it, it shouldn't be too hard to get a good grade? I can drop it anyway if I really don't enjoy it after a year.
I think I might pick Psychology. Hopefully it really is as interesting as it sounds and I won't find it too difficult.

As for studying medicine, I've decided I'm too dumb to even try to go for it. I just want to study some sort of science at University.
Thanks a lot for the replies, I'll +rep the posts that really helped.

Immenseman
18-01-2010, 08:04 PM
Well obviously Physics is one if or if not the most respected A-level, it's much more impressive than Psychology in my opinion.

Hecktix
18-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Oh wow, lots of posts. I didn't expect so many replies.
That's what a lot of people have told me. Apparently I'd be better off studying Physics because it would be more useful, but will it really make much of a difference if I decide to study Psychology instead of Physics? Because I really can't stand Physics.

It will make no difference whatsoever, it's grades that matter, not courses. I took Psychology, Religious Studies, English Language and Philosophy at AS and I got ABBB and I got 5 conditional offers, 2 from red brick universities. Unless of course, you change your mind and want to do a physics degree.

I didn't know what I wanted to do until I started my A levels, studying Psychology changed everything.

If you like what you've read, then go for it :)

MJJ
18-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Well obviously Physics is one if or if not the most respected A-level, it's much more impressive than Psychology in my opinion.

Yeah, I think Physics is more respected as well, which is why I'm so confused about which one to pick.
I guess I'll try Psychology. If I get a good grade, it'll look good anyway. :D

Immenseman
18-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Get ready for the most boring year of your life.

Hecktix
18-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Yeah, I think Physics is more respected as well, which is why I'm so confused about which one to pick.
I guess I'll try Psychology. If I get a good grade, it'll look good anyway. :D

It's all about grades although SOME red brick universities don't accept SOME A levels (such as Media studies), Psychology isn't one of them so it's irrelevant. Choosing Psychology over physics will not hinder your chances at getting into a decent course at uni (unless you decide to go for a physics degree), however it will probably make your life easier as Psychology is probably lighter than physics, but it's by no means easy. If you hate physics now yet find what you read about psychology interesting, take psychology, it'll make no difference as long as you get a good grade.

MJJ
18-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Get ready for the most boring year of your life.

Hopefully I won't have the same experience that you and my friends have had with Psychology. :P

It's all about grades although SOME red brick universities don't accept SOME A levels (such as Media studies), Psychology isn't one of them so it's irrelevant. Choosing Psychology over physics will not hinder your chances at getting into a decent course at uni (unless you decide to go for a physics degree), however it will probably make your life easier as Psychology is probably lighter than physics, but it's by no means easy. If you hate physics now yet find what you read about psychology interesting, take psychology, it'll make no difference as long as you get a good grade.

Oh, good to hear that. Thanks a lot for your help, I'll choose Psychology, and hopefully I'll enjoy it as much as you have.

Bun
18-01-2010, 08:38 PM
if you're doing biology, maths and chemistry already and want to do medicine then i would suggest taking politics or something to show you're an all rounded individual. i would advise against pyschology and obviously don't take something you don't like or it drags on.

Robbie
18-01-2010, 08:46 PM
STOP DISSING MEDIA STUDIES ;LLLLLLL

Immenseman
18-01-2010, 08:50 PM
lmao media and photography

vomits at those

Robbie
18-01-2010, 08:51 PM
media, i.t, sociology (woo) and english lang & lit combined ftw

Immenseman
18-01-2010, 08:52 PM
sociology is one of those which is a bit fishy but like oli said with his psychology i've been offered 4 places at top 20 unis so meh. lol at media and it!!!!!!!!!!!

Robbie
18-01-2010, 08:55 PM
why i.t ;lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Immenseman
18-01-2010, 08:58 PM
cuz i hate it

Glitter
19-01-2010, 09:19 PM
english lit&lang, psychology and sociology!

<3ing psychology 2k10

flatface
19-01-2010, 10:23 PM

I can see why she said Physics would aid a degree in medicine, mainly because it's seen to be more harder then Psychology. Like you would of thought taking Biology would be really beneficial for doing a degree in Medicine, however most uni's prefer Chemistry over Biology because it's seen to be harder lol.

I would advice you to see a Careers advisor because like said above Physics may be more beneficial for what you actually want to do.

I took Psychology, expected it to be completely different from what it actually is but I still love it and find it interesting and actually quite fun :D

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!