View Full Version : iPhone Ringtones.

Sunnily
18-01-2010, 08:55 PM
Okay i am new to the iPhone. Just got one for Christmas on contract and i was wondering how you make songs your ringtone. Cant find anywhere to put it on. I have tried dragging songs into the ringtone bit but it doesn't work. Help please. x

Jordy
18-01-2010, 09:00 PM
You have to buy the song from the iTunes Store first. Then just right click it and choose "Create Ringtone..." :)

danzooo
18-01-2010, 09:01 PM
-Choose the song you wish to make to a ringtone (in iTunes)
-Right click and go to "Get Info"
-Go to the Options tab and change the start and finish times to your desired length of ringtone (around 30 seconds is best)
-After, right click on the song and go to "Create AAC Version"
-Below should be a duplicate of the original song that's only 30 seconds in length.
-Copy this duplicated 30 second long AAC "ringtone" to your desktop (or desired folder)
-Change the filetype from an .m4a to an .m4r - the icon should change to an iTunes looking blue music symbol with "RING" on it.
-Copy it back to iTunes - this time it should go to the "Ringtones" section of iTunes
-Copy it to your iPhone, should be in the Sounds section of your phone under a subheading called "Custom"
-It's now on!

Afterwards you can delete the 30 second version of the song from your iTunes library and change the original song back to its full length (right click, get info, options tab).

Hope this helps :)

Sunnily
18-01-2010, 09:01 PM
I know that but i would rather not purchase them from the itunes store because it costs money. Why is it not like any other phone that just lets you change ringtone! ARGH

danzooo
18-01-2010, 09:03 PM
I know that but i would rather not purchase them from the itunes store because it costs money. Why is it not like any other phone that just lets you change ringtone! ARGH

See the post I just posted before you there :rolleyes:

Robbie
18-01-2010, 09:03 PM
I use www.audiko.net

Sunnily
18-01-2010, 09:58 PM
-Choose the song you wish to make to a ringtone (in iTunes)
-Right click and go to "Get Info"
-Go to the Options tab and change the start and finish times to your desired length of ringtone (around 30 seconds is best)
-After, right click on the song and go to "Create AAC Version"
-Below should be a duplicate of the original song that's only 30 seconds in length.
-Copy this duplicated 30 second long AAC "ringtone" to your desktop (or desired folder)
-Change the filetype from an .m4a to an .m4r - the icon should change to an iTunes looking blue music symbol with "RING" on it.
-Copy it back to iTunes - this time it should go to the "Ringtones" section of iTunes
-Copy it to your iPhone, should be in the Sounds section of your phone under a subheading called "Custom"
-It's now on!

Afterwards you can delete the 30 second version of the song from your iTunes library and change the original song back to its full length (right click, get info, options tab).

Hope this helps :)

How do you change the m4a to m4r

kk.
18-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Set permissions on your computer to see file extensions, and then change it. Google it if you don't know how

Sunnily
18-01-2010, 10:50 PM
Googled and sorted thankyou :D

adaym
19-01-2010, 11:18 AM
I just select a song on my phone and choose "set as ringtone". Why is the iphone so complicated?

StefanWolves
19-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Cause Apple are rip offs and try to charge for everything. But their are easy work arounds, especially if you jailbreak your iPhone.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!