PDA

View Full Version : Government Ads

ItsDave
21-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Why are all the Government ads manipulising the use of children in nearly all of their adverts? With the speeding one, a dead child. Don't speed, you'll kill a child, you wouldn't like that if that was your kid. The smoking one "I'd do anything for you" (Sing song) its like, I suppose I should do it for the kids.

Does anyone else find thise type of manipulation kind of... cruel or like... wrong? It really annoys me to think of this shallow type of indoctrination. Your takes?

Black_Apalachi
21-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Haha and the climate change one is the little girl. I don't see what the argument here is though lol.

Nixt
21-01-2010, 11:27 PM
It's one of the best way to get through to people, so I don't see why they shouldn't do it if they are making a valid point.

Bun
21-01-2010, 11:34 PM
the public are thick, makes sense to manipulate them.......

Sly
22-01-2010, 08:07 AM
dont see the problemo

-:Undertaker:-
23-01-2010, 08:18 PM
These adverts must cost millions upon millions and don't make one blind bit of difference, sometimes with the amount of government adverts we get you'd be forgiven for thinking Joseph Goebbels is still knocking around.

Ardemax
23-01-2010, 08:26 PM
yey lets turn this innocent debate into a mass argument about how crap labour is and how much money we're spending ^. just no.

the advert with the child is really effective and creepy which will put drivers off driving ridiculous speeds around schools and children based units.

23-01-2010, 08:29 PM
yey lets turn this innocent debate into a mass argument about how crap labour is and how much money we're spending ^. just no.

the advert with the child is really effective and creepy which will put drivers off driving ridiculous speeds around schools and children based units.

My post contributed to the thread on a number of points, i'm opposed to government adverts because;

They are not effective.
They cost absurd amounts of money.
The government is getting too big, too in-your-face.

Very simple, although you seem to suggest by your post you wish to have a debate about Labour and government spending despite the fact my post never mentioned either of them and I had no intention of mentioning them.

Ardemax
23-01-2010, 09:11 PM
My post contributed to the thread on a number of points, i'm opposed to government adverts because;

They are not effective.
They cost absurd amounts of money.
The government is getting too big, too in-your-face.

Very simple, although you seem to suggest by your post you wish to have a debate about Labour and government spending despite the fact my post never mentioned either of them and I had no intention of mentioning them.

Didn't mention any of them? Wanna re-think that bit.

They are effective, they don't cost more than most commerical adverts and the message is being brought forward because of the ridiculous crime levels in the UK to date.

23-01-2010, 09:30 PM

They are effective, they don't cost more than most commerical adverts and the message is being brought forward because of the ridiculous crime levels in the UK to date.

You did, you mentioned Labour and how much money we are spending - your words, not mine.. On effective, they are not. Nobody listens to these adverts, otherwise nobody would smoke, nobody would drink, nobody would speed and we'd all live happily ever after. If these adverts really do make a difference, i'd sure like to see the results of lower crime rates and so on because at the moment I see the opposite.

Black_Apalachi
23-01-2010, 11:24 PM

They're really not effective you know. When I'm driving, if I suddenly think 'oh I better slow down a bit', it's because I've spotted a sign, or children walking, or whatever - not because I suddenly remember that advert.

And Dan is obviously talking about government spending, which is relevant - commercial adverts obviously are irrelevant here as they aren't funded by the government. Sometimes I wonder why you even bother trying to argue with Dan :P.

Ardemax
23-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Well I firstly pointed out this would end up talking about how crap the government is... i can haz brownie points for gettin a headshotz?

Black_Apalachi
23-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Lol fair enough, but what's wrong with that? After all the thread is about government adverts so it is relevant.

TheEclipse
24-01-2010, 02:09 AM
Because it's a fair point- you COULD badly damage a kid, it's not just you you're hurting.

And it makes people think about it.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!