PDA

View Full Version : "sponging"

Accipiter
22-01-2010, 09:42 PM
wth is sponging, i had a noob who thought he was hardcore because he got carepackages to win games calling me it? anyone care to explain.

i always thought it was absorbing bullets but not dying (e.g. juggernaut on cod5)

Stryderman
22-01-2010, 09:52 PM
No idea tbh sponging normally means like borrowin from someone else?

So like robbin other peoples care packages maybe? :S

Accipiter
22-01-2010, 09:54 PM
didn't steal any carepackages, i shot dudes who ran for them that was about it.

he said it everytime i aimed in and killed him he was like "sponging noob" and it wasn't for shooting people going to carepackages cause i shot him face to face in the bunker on wasteland.

I don't think he had a clue tbf, he seemed to think the rpd was a noob weapon, i'll shove the famas up his ass next time.

crazed
22-01-2010, 11:25 PM
It's when like, you shoot them for ages and get the hit markers, but when they should be dead.. they aren't

Accipiter
22-01-2010, 11:29 PM
ammount of times of done that with a smg is unbelievable, so its probably his fault more than mine.

crazed
22-01-2010, 11:35 PM
ammount of times of done that with a smg is unbelievable, so its probably his fault more than mine.

Probably ;P I gets annoying when you use stopping power pro and just spray them for ages, then they turn round and kill you D:

Accipiter
22-01-2010, 11:38 PM
not sure if i have stopping power on, i think grip and fmj does it enough. I have bling (dunno) and sit rep on the rpd. might be stopping power cause 2 bullets into them and they're pretty much ******. can pick people off with it from the bunker on afghan to people on the cliff, thats why i love it :D

Black_Apalachi
23-01-2010, 04:59 AM
I have a habit of only firing the exact amount of bullets needed to kill someone. So it either means that (unless I get trigger happy), juggernoobs will kill me, or if they have last stand I just pop one more cap in their ass :P.

Accipiter
23-01-2010, 10:42 AM
my mate on facebook saids its lag when you lay the **** out of them but miss because of lag. He said he screams it at me all the time, but he use to say i sprayed like **** on cod5 when i took him out with rifles, so yeah.

+ my internet speed is huge seeing as my brother boosts it. I would say its because of marathon and lightweight but i didn't have them on against the noob @_@

samsaBEAR
23-01-2010, 01:05 PM
sponging happens a lot on laggy hardcore modes and it piss me off to no end

iAdam
23-01-2010, 01:36 PM
The only time I've heard sponging is when you just don't die when shot, probably that due to lag or something.

Accipiter
23-01-2010, 10:34 PM
sponging happens a lot on laggy hardcore modes and it piss me off to no end

it does piss me off to when ever it puts me into a laggy free for all, or into a game where the match just ends :l but i wasn't lagging when i shot him and he wasn't jumping so it'll be his problem.

ItsDave
23-01-2010, 11:44 PM
Mate, sorry, I shot this guy 3 times with an Intervention and he don't die, sponging *******. for example.

Accipiter
23-01-2010, 11:46 PM
snipers are **** anyway, i gave up on them straight away, unless you get a acog scope for them then your kicking ass.

Black_Apalachi
24-01-2010, 12:14 AM
snipers are **** anyway, i gave up on them straight away, unless you get a acog scope for them then your kicking ass.

Acogs are ********!!! I much prefer just a normal sniper scope.

samsaBEAR
24-01-2010, 01:56 AM
acog on the m21 isn't bad, but the idea of a sniper is to get long range kills, so the normal scope is just fine imo

PaulMacC
24-01-2010, 02:07 AM
Sponging is an internet slang term used within the Call of Duty community to describe someone who doesn't take damage due to either shooting at the host at the time who was using a lag switch (to lag the sever and delay or stop anything but his movements) or having a poor host with random lag spikes that induces the "sponges". Host is everything on Call of Duty. A host's bullets will always register, you've probably had an experience before when you've fired half a clip into someone and they havent died, that is due to poor host connection and the other player has sponged due to this. If your host you'll never find another playing sponging bullets as your host and you'll uploading all information to the server. Most of the time a 4 bar connection will usually be around 0 - 100 ping which sponging can occur every 1 in 10 bullets or even less. Again, tl;dr - host is a huge advantage and Infinity Ward need to put in dedicated console servers to counteract this. A good player with host and a smart mindset is unstoppable. Sucks for us because our internet packages have like 3mbps upload at the maximum yet people in the Netherlands can go up to 100mbps upload-wise as all over there they are fully fibre optic. Host usually depends on upload speed.

samsaBEAR
24-01-2010, 11:41 AM
It's no where near as much of an advantage as it was on gears of war

Accipiter
24-01-2010, 11:47 AM
at snipers being long range, i personally think theres no point in them, theres like, 1 map that lets you use it for long range and thats wasteland :P

and i dunno if i was host, i might have been. i don't even know how to tell lmao.

PaulMacC
24-01-2010, 12:58 PM
It's no where near as much of an advantage as it was on gears of war
Still, it is a big advantage.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!