PDA

View Full Version : How to get in the Police Force?

Arron
24-01-2010, 05:48 PM
What would you say is the best way to get in the Police?

I'm at the stage in my life where I'm not satisfied with sixth form and looking to move to another college to study Public Services (because that's how, I believe, is the way forward). I've always wanted to be a cop but thought you needed certain qualifications etc. I've always been told i'd suit being a Police Officer because I'm pretty tall and well built.

Pleasee help :]

flatface
24-01-2010, 05:54 PM
You don't need any qualifications I don't think, however I know my mate is doing a public services degree at uni then probs going to start applying after that.

Accipiter
24-01-2010, 06:38 PM
doing police training would be a start, i might do it before going to uni, could earn some money in that time to.

and i was told by connexions that taking public services doesn't lead to any police force or fire brigade only thing i've seen it qualify for is prison guard. But she also told me that volunteer work is very handy for the police force (probably acceptance for applications).

Arron
24-01-2010, 06:41 PM
doing police training would be a start, i might do it before going to uni, could earn some money in that time to.

and i was told by connexions that taking public services doesn't lead to any police force or fire brigade only thing i've seen it qualify for is prison guard. But she also told me that volunteer work is very handy for the police force (probably acceptance for applications).

police training as in cadets?

Accipiter
24-01-2010, 06:45 PM
i don't know much about it but i think if you apply you do 4 years training or something to get into the force.

Stryderman
24-01-2010, 06:47 PM
You dont need any qualifications except a C in maths & english is recommended [Asked the copper who arrested me once] Public services you dont really need its like travel and tourism course to work abroad or at butlins, I work at butlins and never took the course. If your serious about this then apply online. If they dont have any vacancies in your area my advice would be to apply to be a pcso. [Volunteer but gives you training and insight knowledge of the job, Also you get to choose whether to be a police officer if any jobs come up so you get first choice]

Arron
24-01-2010, 06:48 PM
hmm right.

did your connexions adviser say anything else in regard to which is the best way forward to join?

i might speak to mine this week some time...

Immenseman
24-01-2010, 06:54 PM
You don't need qualifications as such but they're not going to hinder you. I thought they wanted 5 Cs at GCSE and then just anything else that'll show your qualities. Obviously, a public service course at college would be perfect. My friend is doing one and really enjoys it, although it's very physical. Although, if you did alevels, do something like ICT, PE and RE, good mix for the police force. A lot of paper and IT work, PE for obvious reasons and RE shows you're aware of other religions and have knowledge etc. Makes you stand out a bit.

This isn't like a fact or anything and I don't know what they look for but that's just what I imagine, good luck! :8

flatface
24-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Oh yh you have to pass entrance exams in English and Maths too.

Arron
24-01-2010, 07:15 PM
You dont need any qualifications except a C in maths & english is recommended [Asked the copper who arrested me once] Public services you dont really need its like travel and tourism course to work abroad or at butlins, I work at butlins and never took the course. If your serious about this then apply online. If they dont have any vacancies in your area my advice would be to apply to be a pcso. [Volunteer but gives you training and insight knowledge of the job, Also you get to choose whether to be a police officer if any jobs come up so you get first choice]

i got a D in mathematics :(:(:(:(:(:(:(
i do Travel & Tourism now at AS Level, so if thats kinda the same then good.
They did have application forms for Merseyside Police, but the deadline was the 21st January, so I've just missed out. But you have to be 18 before you can join/do a course?
PCSO? Community Support Officer? Hmm yeah, but everyone takes the **** out of those people but despite that I might have a shot at it. thanks, +rep.

You don't need qualifications as such but they're not going to hinder you. I thought they wanted 5 Cs at GCSE and then just anything else that'll show your qualities. Obviously, a public service course at college would be perfect. My friend is doing one and really enjoys it, although it's very physical. Although, if you did alevels, do something like ICT, PE and RE, good mix for the police force. A lot of paper and IT work, PE for obvious reasons and RE shows you're aware of other religions and have knowledge etc. Makes you stand out a bit.

This isn't like a fact or anything and I don't know what they look for but that's just what I imagine, good luck! :8

Im doing A Level ICT so thats okay, I sucked at P.E Theory and R.E so i'll give that a miss. I'm very active, play lots of sports so you couldn't fault my fitness. This will probably be good with being a PCSO.

Oh yh you have to pass entrance exams in English and Maths too.

Ah, well then... :'(

Stryderman
24-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Yeh you have to be 18 to join the police force. Pcso do get alot of stick but your walking around normally with a police officer which is good incase you get into trouble etc you can arrest them on the spot. A pcso is pretty much a police officer except you dont do any paperwork. If you want to arrest someone you can aslong as you call for backup to take them to the station. You could ring up the police station which is local to you and ask them when their next going to advertise vacancys. A D should be fine as you take a english and maths course on the training to get you to a C. You also have to do a fitness course and be able to lift heavy things push and pull things and run fast etc.

Immenseman
24-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Being in good physical condition is obviously essential. However, you can't think just because you're fit and healthy it's going to give you an advantage because 90% of people who apply to be police officers are going to be fit and in good physical condition too.

flatface
24-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Yeh you have to be 18 to join the police force. Pcso do get alot of stick but your walking around normally with a police officer which is good incase you get into trouble etc you can arrest them on the spot. A pcso is pretty much a police officer except you dont do any paperwork. If you want to arrest someone you can aslong as you call for backup to take them to the station. You could ring up the police station which is local to you and ask them when their next going to advertise vacancys. A D should be fine as you take a english and maths course on the training to get you to a C. You also have to do a fitness course and be able to lift heavy things push and pull things and run fast etc.

A PCSO is different from being a Police Officer lol, and PCSOs cannot arrest people.

& to join it's 18.5 not 18 I think

Stryderman
24-01-2010, 07:31 PM
A PCSO is different from being a Police Officer lol, and PCSOs cannot arrest people.

& to join it's 18.5 not 18 I think

Its 18 and pcso's can arrest because you are normally walking around with a police officer.

I was going to join before i got a job away from home and looked into it, Rang local police station asked pcso's around town and looked online.

It is pretty much being a police officer except no paperwork i never said it was exactly the same

flatface
24-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Its 18 and pcso's can arrest because you are normally walking around with a police officer.

I was going to join before i got a job away from home and looked into it, Rang local police station asked pcso's around town and looked online.

It is pretty much being a police officer except no paperwork i never said it was exactly the same

What is the difference between a PCSO and a police officer?

PCSOs do not have powers of arrest, cannot interview or process prisoners, cannot investigate crime and do not carry out the more complex and high-risk tasks that police officers perform.

http://www.policecouldyou.co.uk/pcso/eligible.html

and I could swear it was 18.5 lol

Stryderman
24-01-2010, 07:41 PM
http://www.policecouldyou.co.uk/pcso/eligible.html

and I could swear it was 18.5 lol

Yes but if you are with a police officer like most of them are then you can. If your walking around with another pcso then you have to call for backup.

Its 18 as i applied when i was 18 and got an interview.

flatface
24-01-2010, 07:43 PM
The PCSO won't arrest them, the PC will lol omg

Stryderman
24-01-2010, 07:47 PM
The PCSO won't arrest them, the PC will lol omg

Yes but they can if they are with a po.

flatface
24-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Yes but they can if they are with a po.

What is the difference between a PCSO and a police officer?

PCSOs do not have powers of arrest, cannot interview or process prisoners, cannot investigate crime and do not carry out the more complex and high-risk tasks that police officers perform.

but watevz

Anyway good luck with getting into the police :D

Black_Apalachi
24-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Police training sounds like mega cba. But yeah I think you just sign-up for a few year's of it. If you're in good shape you should get through I would say :).

Stryderman
24-01-2010, 08:01 PM
but watevz

Anyway good luck with getting into the police :D

Fgs if you are WITH police officer you can arrest someone. If your with another pcso then you cant.

Black_Apalachi
24-01-2010, 09:11 PM
If some peeps can't arrest peeps, what is a citizen's arrest? (I never actually knew)...

Tash.
25-01-2010, 06:58 PM
If some peeps can't arrest peeps, what is a citizen's arrest? (I never actually knew)...

Basically anyone can make a citizens arrest if you witness them commit a crime, and you are allowed to use reasonable force to hold them until a police officer comes.

Immenseman
25-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Lmao, normal people have more power than community officers!! :lol:

Black_Apalachi
25-01-2010, 08:31 PM
That's what I mean, surely they also have this power?

Anyway I've always wondered about that, cos I can never imagine anyone attempting a citizen's arrest lmao :lol:

mike475
26-01-2010, 05:34 PM
I study Public Services atm in college, and trust me - its a lot of work. I read you're in sixth form and all I can say is stick with it, it'll be worth it in the long run. I wish I went to sixth form just to get better qualifications, a btec is so crap.

Taking the course doesnt guarantee you a job in the public services, but it would put you at an advantage point I believe.

Good luck with whatever you do !

Arron
26-01-2010, 06:15 PM
I study Public Services atm in college, and trust me - its a lot of work. I read you're in sixth form and all I can say is stick with it, it'll be worth it in the long run. I wish I went to sixth form just to get better qualifications, a btec is so crap.

Taking the course doesnt guarantee you a job in the public services, but it would put you at an advantage point I believe.

Good luck with whatever you do !

hey thanks. I think I am gonna' stick with Sixth Form, and maybe try out Cadets or something till I'm 18, then try to apply :)

Disaronno
26-01-2010, 06:50 PM

Actually - you can be in the force at 16. You can join as police staff... which is when you answer calls and sit behind a desk but its still work which pays and a way into the police... Also, you can usually apply at 17.5 aslong as you have a drivers licence but cant be accepted until 18 / 18.5 in different counties...

PCSO is a good way in cos you learn things - however you dont get paid so if you dont have a job, then i wouldnt do it..

My friend is in the P.Cadets and he said its a waste of time because they teach you things but you still have to appl and at the moment unless your black/muslim or gay or black and gay or muslim and gay. You dont really stand a chance... My advice - stick with what your doing, or apply for police staff and state your gay on the application, they cant ask you to prove it as that is discrimination :)

Btw i know this cos i am in the police now and i got in by going into police staff ;) Riot patrol or dogs section next year :0 Yay!

Edit - its a great job, but i kind of wish i would have done what i really wanted to do which is own a club. Cos if you ever leave the force, you dont get anywhere so unless you want to be a guard or plan to stay in the force till you retire which is a great pension - Think about it

Edit 2 - You need no qualifications at all.. I have like the worst ever and i got in ;)

Arron
26-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Actually - you can be in the force at 16. You can join as police staff... which is when you answer calls and sit behind a desk but its still work which pays and a way into the police... Also, you can usually apply at 17.5 aslong as you have a drivers licence but cant be accepted until 18 / 18.5 in different counties...

PCSO is a good way in cos you learn things - however you dont get paid so if you dont have a job, then i wouldnt do it..

My friend is in the P.Cadets and he said its a waste of time because they teach you things but you still have to appl and at the moment unless your black/muslim or gay or black and gay or muslim and gay. You dont really stand a chance... My advice - stick with what your doing, or apply for police staff and state your gay on the application, they cant ask you to prove it as that is discrimination :)

Btw i know this cos i am in the police now and i got in by going into police staff ;) Riot patrol or dogs section next year :0 Yay!

Edit - its a great job, but i kind of wish i would have done what i really wanted to do which is own a club. Cos if you ever leave the force, you dont get anywhere so unless you want to be a guard or plan to stay in the force till you retire which is a great pension - Think about it

Edit 2 - You need no qualifications at all.. I have like the worst ever and i got in ;)

right that was great, helped alot.

I seen on the Merseyside Police website that as of 2010, there are more homosexuals in the force than any other forces throughout the UK. I was like, why are they saying that?

Disaronno
26-01-2010, 07:04 PM
right that was great, helped alot.

I seen on the Merseyside Police website that as of 2010, there are more homosexuals in the force than any other forces throughout the UK. I was like, why are they saying that?

Good - Good luck with whatever you do in the future

Arron
26-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Good - Good luck with whatever you do in the future

thanks, well it's either this or IT Solutions...

Joining the Police sounds much better than doing an office job or w.e

Disaronno
26-01-2010, 07:11 PM
thanks, well it's either this or IT Solutions...

Joining the Police sounds much better than doing an office job or w.e

It is a great job - my home county do something called "Ride-A-Long"

Try finding out if merseyside do.

You tag along and watch what they do and depending on what happens sometimes you can help... ring them up

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!