PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good teacher?

Immenseman
25-01-2010, 07:29 PM
In your opinion, what qualities make a good teacher?

dirrty
25-01-2010, 07:32 PM
able to have a joke with the students, but at the same time quite strict so they won't be walked all over. obviously also having the knowledge of the subject they teach, and the ability to deliver that knowledge through various methods such as powerpoints, activities, group exercises, wordsheets etc. etc. etc.

Accipiter
25-01-2010, 07:34 PM
gunna go by my geo teacher.

He jokes, didn't give a **** about rules but didn't do anything bad enough to get fired, kept the class on track and was fun. Got me a geo C mark but he should have applied me for higher :'(

Hecktix
25-01-2010, 07:35 PM
A good teacher needs to have a good sense of humour, they also need to be "on the same level" as students, they need to know how to get their points across in an interesting way and they also need to not be afraid to show discipline for fear of not being liked. They need to show quite a strong like for discipline in the right occasions, but not overuse this as this can make them appear too strict.

Alex3213
25-01-2010, 07:39 PM
They need to make sure they have a joke or two (like the rest have said) but at the same time be fair and make sure their education is good. I don't think they should go into too much detail in a certain thing either, they need to not go too high up the scale, although pushing the students. A slightly more jokey one, they should remember the students' names (thinks about my music teacher I had from Year 7 to 9 but still didn't get my name :rolleyes:).

Black_Apalachi
25-01-2010, 08:09 PM
A good teacher needs to have a good sense of humour, they also need to be "on the same level" as students, they need to know how to get their points across in an interesting way and they also need to not be afraid to show discipline for fear of not being liked. They need to show quite a strong like for discipline in the right occasions, but not overuse this as this can make them appear too strict.

This sums it up.

The very best teachers are the ones who you won't annoy just because you'd feel guilty. My for teacher was like that, he was so sound that everyone just always did what he said and never answered back to him or anything :8.

Robbie
25-01-2010, 08:11 PM

I agree. The teachers I have now are all absolutely fantastic and I couldn't fault a single one of them. However, in my secondary school I had one that was so bad we just watched DVD's every lesson and let everyone do what they wanted, and a few that were just to strict.

I had 2 teachers that were fantastic and co-incidentally they're the subjects I did best in in my GCSE's.

Immenseman
25-01-2010, 08:52 PM
Not too strict, not a push over.
Can have a laugh, will join in with class jokes.
Well organised
Good subject knowledge
Understands you have other subjects you're working on
Is realistic on deadlines
Understanding about personal matters
Comes across as a human, not a machine

Sharon
25-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Someone who isn't something horrible to look at.
Who knows how to have a laugh.
Who lets us actually talk but not go over the top.
Who is reasonable.
Who makes sure we actually learn too.

Caution
25-01-2010, 09:27 PM
The balance between having a laugh and putting their foot down when required.

-:Undertaker:-
29-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Someone who can teach the subject without having to do everything from the textbook/PC - simple as that.

AlexOC
29-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Personality.
Humour.
Fun.
Enjoyable.

HOT

Tash.
29-01-2010, 10:39 PM
I'd say a mixture of things. Humour and the willingness to share your life, especially if you work in a Secondary School/College as I found that those teachers who shared were more generally liked than those who were unwilling to discuss their private lives at all. The ability to listen well and compromise when needed, strictness is fine in the right circumstances though and again is a needed quality or they just get walked over in class. And finally, a wide knowledge of the subject they teach. So much respect is lost in the classroom of a teacher who has to refer to a textbook everytime you ask them a question. Almost all my teachers were spot on with all these things and for that reason I loved all of them, they made college so much easier.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!