PDA

View Full Version : CHEAP DSLR CAMERAS?!

Shcl
25-01-2010, 09:51 PM
£300 is my max but id pref like to spend under that.

I want the whole package not just teh body or lense the whole deal.

Cheers.

Neversoft
25-01-2010, 09:58 PM
I recently purchased the Fujifilm Finepix S1500 and its worked wonders so far. The only thing I don't like about it is the fact its batteries are not rechargeable, but thats not a major issue. Oh and the video capture isn't perfect but it is acceptable. I got mine for a little over £200 but that was with a case, memory card and three years guarantee on top of the retail price. You can get them for around £170. I'd recommend looking into it.

You should also consider the Canon SX110IS - prices are around £210.

Shcl
25-01-2010, 10:15 PM
I did concider the Fuji but I want something a bit more professional :[

Tomm
25-01-2010, 10:23 PM
None of those are DSLR cameras.

I recently purchased the Fujifilm Finepix S1500 and its worked wonders so far. The only thing I don't like about it is the fact its batteries are not rechargeable, but thats not a major issue. Oh and the video capture isn't perfect but it is acceptable. I got mine for a little over £200 but that was with a case, memory card and three years guarantee on top of the retail price. You can get them for around £170. I'd recommend looking into it.

You should also consider the Canon SX110IS - prices are around £210.

Shcl
25-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Oh TY TOM !!!!!!

Joe!
25-01-2010, 10:27 PM
My cousin has literally just put his Nikon D40X up for sale, comes with an 18-55mm lens and a 55-200mm lens. Think he wants about £330 for it if you're interested.

Shcl
25-01-2010, 10:30 PM
£330 is too much :{

Neversoft
25-01-2010, 10:32 PM
None of those are DSLR cameras.

Well actually the Fujifilm has enough manual controls and functions (such as diverse aperture and shutter speed settings) to bridge the gap to DSLR.

Tomm
25-01-2010, 11:23 PM
Just because it has manual controls does not mean it is anything like a DSLR.

First off, one of the most important factors is the sensor size. The Fujifilm has a 6.16 x 4.62mm (0.28cm2) sensor. A typical entry level DSLR with a APS-C sized sensor has a 22.2 x 14.8mm (3.29cm2) sensor. More expensive full frame DSLRs have a 36x24mm (8.64cm2) sensor (same size as 35mm film)

The lenses you can get for a (D)SLR are typically of much higher quality than even a high end compact. Not to mention with a (D)SLR you can interchange the lenses.

(D)SLRs have a optical viewfinder due to the mechanical mirror system and pentaprism. Aside from the obvious benifits to this it also means the sensor does not have to be powered up all the time like a compact meaning a reduction in noice due to heat.

DSLRs are much more responsive compared to a compact camera. They, typically, have little shutter lag and very fast autofocus.

Well actually the Fujifilm has enough manual controls and functions (such as diverse aperture and shutter speed settings) to bridge the gap to DSLR.

N!ck
25-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Just because it has manual controls does not mean it is anything like a DSLR.

First off, one of the most important factors is the sensor size. The Fujifilm has a 6.16 x 4.62mm (0.28cm2) sensor. A typical entry level DSLR with a APS-C sized sensor has a 22.2 x 14.8mm (3.29cm2) sensor. More expensive full frame DSLRs have a 36x24mm (8.64cm2) sensor (same size as 35mm film)

The lenses you can get for a (D)SLR are typically of much higher quality than even a high end compact. Not to mention with a (D)SLR you can interchange the lenses.

(D)SLRs have a optical viewfinder due to the mechanical mirror system and pentaprism. Aside from the obvious benifits to this it also means the sensor does not have to be powered up all the time like a compact meaning a reduction in noice due to heat.

DSLRs are much more responsive compared to a compact camera. They, typically, have little shutter lag and very fast autofocus.

This. Sensor size is very important.

KyleSmith
26-01-2010, 05:44 PM
I just sold my Olympus E500 + 17.5-45mm lens, For 100 quid second hand :(.

Shcl
26-01-2010, 06:13 PM
omggggggggggg :{ any otgher suggestions peepz?

Shcl
26-01-2010, 09:48 PM
any more suggestions :{

Markeh
27-01-2010, 07:41 AM
Save up more money or look for a used one on eBay. That's all I can suggest.

There's not really such a thing as a cheap D-SLR. They're expensive by nature.

.:Tom-:.
27-01-2010, 02:42 PM
i paid 800 for mine so yano
theres no cheap ones out there (n) x

Shcl
27-01-2010, 05:11 PM
ok thanks guys :D

lolwut
30-01-2010, 06:54 PM
You'd be lucky to find a fully-featured camera package for less than £300. Look into second hand Canon's or maybe Sony's. eBay have a lot of cut-throat priced Nikon's which you could snap up if you're fast, but if you're on that budget I'd recommend a Canon secondhander.
Hope that's helped :)

EDIT: Don't get an Olympus. They're just a digital camera in the body of a SLR.

myke
30-01-2010, 07:03 PM
I wouldn't recommend buying "glass" or cameras from eBay, well, second hand. I'm just saying this because you can't always guarantee the optics quality.. but if their feedback seems positive, then fair enough.

Remember whilst you're having a look at DSLRS, be sure to look at the prices of the accessories, and cross compatibility. I mean I have a Sony, and about, 6 or 7 lenses I think. All except one are old M42 screw ins and so I bought an adapter and I'm able to use them on my new DSLR. :) I mean, I know for example, my Sony can take ol' minolta AF lenses because of the twist fit.

Good luck, I'd recommend grabbing a Nikon D40 if you can find them, not sure if that's their entry level DSLR anymore... :)

lolwut
30-01-2010, 07:08 PM
I wouldn't recommend buying "glass" or cameras from eBay, well, second hand. I'm just saying this because you can't always guarantee the optics quality.. but if their feedback seems positive, then fair enough.

Remember whilst you're having a look at DSLRS, be sure to look at the prices of the accessories, and cross compatibility. I mean I have a Sony, and about, 6 or 7 lenses I think. All except one are old M42 screw ins and so I bought an adapter and I'm able to use them on my new DSLR. :) I mean, I know for example, my Sony can take ol' minolta AF lenses because of the twist fit.

Good luck, I'd recommend grabbing a Nikon D40 if you can find them, not sure if that's their entry level DSLR anymore... :)
I have to say to you now that I don't think you're right with that. If a seller has a 100% feedback rating and looks legit, then they very possibly will be in the exact, as new quality which they were specified as.
My dad got a Canon EOS something (mid-entry level) for £300, with 2 lenses and all the cases and accessories.
To an extent I agree with you though, sometimes they're not precisely what they say they should be, but for the most part he should be fine if he eBay's from a reputable (100%) seller.

Another option you could explore is purchasing from a second-hand camera store? I recommend London Camera Exchange, I have one of those in my local shopping area and they have some dead nice Canon's at around your price bracket.

myke
30-01-2010, 07:12 PM
I have to say to you now that I don't think you're right with that. If a seller has a 100% feedback rating and looks legit, then they very possibly will be in the exact, as new quality which they were specified as.
My dad got a Canon EOS something (mid-entry level) for £300, with 2 lenses and all the cases and accessories.
To an extent I agree with you though, sometimes they're not precisely what they say they should be, but for the most part he should be fine if he eBay's from a reputable (100%) seller.

Another option you could explore is purchasing from a second-hand camera store? I recommend London Camera Exchange, I have one of those in my local shopping area and they have some dead nice Canon's at around your price bracket.

That's why I said but if they have good feedback then fair enough:)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!