PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new computer

LoveToStack
27-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Right I'm looking to buy a new pc from Dell since my old one broke recently and I figure since I've had it for a while might as well get a new one.
The ones I'm drawn to are the Inspiron 580 series:
http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home/Desktops/inspiron-580/pd.aspx?refid=inspiron-580&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1

But I'm confused about the whole ability to "personalise" your computer down to the last detail. Ideally say I wanted the most expensive model, the one at £549, but I didn't like one of the features. In this case it's the 1TB harddrive. I don't need a harddrive that big because I already have an external HDD.

However I've been trying to fix it so that I have all the other specs the same, except maybe switch the harddrive for something more modest, hopefully taking something off the price as well.
I've not got anywhere with this. When I click personalise, I get taken to a page listing me with all the specs but I have no ability to change any of them, they're all set in stone. The only things I can 'personalise' are packages regarding damage cover etc.

So I'm wondering if there's a way to just start from scratch and pick and choose each individual property, processor, graphics card, ram etc etc. I've convinced myself that there must be a way to do so, given all this talk of customizing and personalizing. There's also a page listing the specs of the 580 series which says 'You can have up to blablabla, such and such a graphics card" however none of those three preset builds have such a graphics card. I feel like there's something I'm missing, surely there is more than just 3 options?

tl:dr - Is it possible to customize each individual property of a computer on the Dell site, the size of a HDD for example, and if so how would I go about this? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Colin-Roberts
27-01-2010, 06:31 PM
it maybe is a deal or promotion?
try the one below it and upgrade it?

I'm confused tho why you'd want less space when it is barely saving you any money.

LoveToStack
27-01-2010, 07:47 PM
It's because I already have plenty of space with an external drive so it's pointless having so much space and I might as well save money on it. Good idea trying to upgrade the one below but the upgraded pacakges only offer more harddrive space, ironically, and sometimes extra ram. It just seems crap that to get one thing better you have to pay for things you don't want.

Markeh
27-01-2010, 08:28 PM
You thought about building your own instead? You could get a quite good spec for £500. I'll post parts if you like?

LoveToStack
28-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Thought about it I have no building experience and it's a bit intimidating spending 500 on something I'm not confident with you know what I mean.

Markeh
28-01-2010, 06:37 PM
OK. Fair comment.

LoveToStack
29-01-2010, 08:43 PM
There is now a pc with better specs available, same everything but with a better graphics card, available for £20 less. How confusing.

Markeh
29-01-2010, 09:45 PM
There is now a pc with better specs available, same everything but with a better graphics card, available for £20 less. How confusing.

If its got a better GFX and is cheaper, go for it.

MisturMan
30-01-2010, 04:06 PM
I got a 540. Very stable piece of gear - my old old dell pc lasted over 10 years and is still going pretty well.

Jahova
30-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Thought about it I have no building experience and it's a bit intimidating spending 500 on something I'm not confident with you know what I mean.
I built a PC with no knowledge and just by watching a few YouTube videos on the subject. Everything went fine.

If you're not so sure; http://www.meshcomputers.com/ - Recommended!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!