PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in UFOs?

Black_Apalachi
29-01-2010, 05:28 AM
This probably sounds like a bit of a cliché as far as debates go :P but I see it as something a bit more light-hearted than some of the other recent threads in this section.

I recently watched a documentary involving Danny Dyer who went on a little mission to try and find out whether extra terrestrial life really exists. I have to say I'm a bit like him in that I just hope there is something out there and it is far more likely for there to be other life somewhere in another galaxy than it is for Earth to be the only planet in the universe with life. He went around the world meeting various people ranging from crop-circle experts to a guy who has recorded the sky above his garden every night for the past fifteen years! As far as evidence goes, the usual videos of "sightings" always make me laugh at how pathetic they are.

Crop-circles I just don't buy because if aliens were regularly visiting Earth, why would they only come at night, and why would they only leave symbols in fields of corn? :S Also as far as I know, crop circles only appear in the UK (or at least they didn't show up anywhere else for a long time, but I'm pretty sure they're only in the UK). Regardless of where they are, experts have said that the larger ones would only take three people and about six or seven hours to complete. Something I wasn't really aware of was that farmers have been coming across random carcasses of livestock. They might find a dead cow or sheep with just it's head removed or some other unusual wound which wouldn't have been caused by a predator. Personally I have no doubt humans are behind this.

All that aside, one of the most conclusive pieces of evidence in the documentary was from a guy who claims to have been abducted by aliens who put little things inside his body. Anyway he saw a bright light outside his window so he set up his camera and on the video you can see what seems to be an alien peering through the glass for a moment, until it sees the guy and ducks down. Assuming the video is real, it was definitely an alien. It looked too lifelike to be a mask or anything else. It looked like a stereotypical alien's head, but not as tall because the window looked pretty low and you could only see the head. This is all assuming the video is real, of course. The final part of the documentary, and something which is hard to criticise was when they were on a hill looking through binoculars at these orbs of light moving around the sky. The guy he spoke to there says that they see them all the time and that they come out of the mountain that's there (that bit isn't hard to criticise :P).

While I still hope there is something out there, I'm pretty confident they won't look anything like how aliens always seem to look like in illustrations etc. because how would we have any idea what they look like? :S I doubt they've ever visited Earth or even came any way near our galaxy. All the people who constantly create hoax videos really annoy me as well. I think what I'm basically saying is that regardless of who claims to have seen what, the laws of probability tell me that there has to be something else out there somewhere.

Does anybody have any views on the subject? I think the documentary is still on iPlayer if anyone is interested.

Misawa
29-01-2010, 05:42 AM
In a universe as endless as ours, I just can't see how we're alone.

Titch
29-01-2010, 05:51 AM
In a universe as endless as ours, I just can't see how we're alone.

My thoughts entirely.

I believe there must be something out there, we cant be alone!

VirtualG
29-01-2010, 09:31 AM
Well, first of all your mixing up UFO's with alien space ships. As for alien spaceships, well, I do believe there is a fair posibility of another life form on another planet, and if it has technology that alows it to travel through space, well thats all good then (but not at light speed or jump through black holes, ect)
But the whole mix up thing is that a UFO is simply an object that is flying through the air that is not identified. I mean, if you saw a bird flying (not knowing it was a bird) and you were wondering what it is, that qaulifies as an Unindetinified flying object as it is flying, unidentified and an object. Just like Weather balloons.

DrLacero
29-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Does life outside this planet exist?

It's likely.

Have they ever visited us?

No. Stop talking crazy.

dbgtz
29-01-2010, 08:08 PM
If they visited us then they must have travelled for ages.

Gibs960
29-01-2010, 08:17 PM
I'd love to see an alien, whether they exist, is probably yes, I think they will have come from not an ages, maybe quite a close planet.

Richie
29-01-2010, 08:18 PM
Yh I think there is aliens and ufo's the government know it but try to cover it up its obvious.

kuzkasate
29-01-2010, 08:20 PM
I'm thinking that they probably do exist. We cannot be alone in this world, it cannot be JUST humans in this universe.

It'd probably be like something out of Planet 51

Pix
29-01-2010, 09:14 PM
Nope, i find it totally ridiculous how people actually believe it.

HotelUser
29-01-2010, 10:04 PM
I'm thinking that they probably do exist. We cannot be alone in this world, it cannot be JUST humans in this universe.

It'd probably be like something out of Planet 51

You read my mind(H)

leah
29-01-2010, 10:09 PM
nope, although I do think they're weird!

ecstasy
29-01-2010, 10:35 PM
I think that there's extraterrestrial life but I highly doubt that it'll be close enough for it to be flying round in its 'spaceships' anywhere near Earth.

Neversoft
29-01-2010, 10:49 PM
I don't believe in UFOs per se, but I do believe in extra terrestrial life.

RedStratocas
29-01-2010, 11:56 PM
im taking a course right now called a search for life in the universe. it basically goes through the science of calculating the likeliness of intelligence in the universe.

as other people said, even though it seems like we know so much about space we really know extremely little in the scheme of things. it was only about 15 years ago we discovered the first extrasolar planet. its been confirmed that mars has had at least at one point had capability to host life even if it never happened, so that means 2/10 planets in our system could host life. seeing as we know so little about planets around other stars, i see the likeliness of life on other planets extremely high.

Black_Apalachi
30-01-2010, 03:43 AM
Exactly RedStratocas. And everyone else, I agree it's just too hard to accept that our tiny little planet is alone in the whole universe in terms of life.

To be honest whatever is out there, it's not going to be just a bare planet like Mars with tall skinny alien figures walking round. That's just what someone's imagination invented and has become the usual stereotype that we think of. I'm imagining almost something like Earth, full of a whole range of species and lifeforms. Something like the planet Pandora from Avatar in fact! After all, we wouldn't survive without everything else that is on our planet, so theirs would hardly be an empty dessert.

Well, first of all your mixing up UFO's with alien space ships. As for alien spaceships, well, I do believe there is a fair posibility of another life form on another planet, and if it has technology that alows it to travel through space, well thats all good then (but not at light speed or jump through black holes, ect)
But the whole mix up thing is that a UFO is simply an object that is flying through the air that is not identified. I mean, if you saw a bird flying (not knowing it was a bird) and you were wondering what it is, that qaulifies as an Unindetinified flying object as it is flying, unidentified and an object. Just like Weather balloons.

Yes I understand this lol. But birds and balloons aren't unidentified to me. Alien spaceships are.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!