PDA

View Full Version : Council Twitter users face rebuke

jack-bristol
29-01-2010, 10:27 AM
Council Twitter users face rebuke

Councillors in Cornwall could face being reported to the authority's standards committee for using social networking sites.

It follows claims that a number of councillors used Twitter during a meeting and mocked other members.

If a councillor is found to breach the code of conduct for inappropriate comments, they could be suspended.

Cornwall Council has not received any complaints but said any allegations reported to them would be investigated.

'Naughty boy'

One councillor who read the tweets said that he did not think that they were inappropriate.

Tweets sent included: "naughty boy!", "high level of accidental sexual innuendo in the council today", "she said phones must be switched off. (I love that we're completely ignoring that instruction)" and "chairman indirectly instructs us not to tweet from the meeting. Whoops!"

“ I can't see anything that was inappropriate ”
County councillor Alex Folkes

The tweets were sent during a meeting into councillors' allowances and housing.

County councillor Alex Folkes, said: "I read back over the tweets that were sent by councillors during the meeting.

"I can't see anything that was inappropriate. Each of us has to take responsibility for what we send as tweets to make sure that they are appropriate and they are not distracting us from the debate."

The council said in a statement: "Employees or councillors using social networking sites to send inappropriate messages could be referred to the standards committee."

It added that it was currently developing a social media policy to cover the use of social media sites such as facebook, Myspace, Twitter and YouTube.

As well as the draft policy recognising the "potential" for using social networking tools to communicate and engage with the public, the council said it would also highlight the importance of regulating the use of such sites to ensure it did not adversely affect its reputation.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/8484919.stm

Why are they told not to tweet during the event?

GommeInc
29-01-2010, 02:12 PM
It just seems like something children would do. There's no harm in it, but they should have rules and regulations about the use of contact with the outside world when in meetings, so not to release any information that is currently in the thought process, rather than the finalized image (or information that the general public really do not need to know about :P)

What happened doesn't seem to be too bad though, they were just mocking each other and not being incredibly rude or harsh :P

Black_Apalachi
30-01-2010, 06:42 AM
It just suggests they weren't taking their job very seriously at the time which is probably something that the committee can't really be seen overlooking.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!