PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Upgrade

Soka
29-01-2010, 06:15 PM
I bought a qualifying laptop with Vista Home Premium on, so I'm looking to upgrade the laptop to Windows 7 Home Premium for free (deadline is 31st Jan). I have the receipt ready, and about to upgrade.

Just wondering if its worth upgrading to windows 7 home premium, and will i need to create backups on external harddrive of files/folders/music/movies, or is it all restored.

Tomm
29-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Click the manufacturer you got the laptop from.

Soka
29-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Click the manufacturer you got the laptop from.

ahh yeah, just figured that out lol.. i've posted another question above in the edit though if you want to answer that too :P

Tomm
29-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Yes, it is worth upgrading. Assuming you use the upgrade option you should not need to manually backup and restore all your stuff, but I'd strongly recommend you do it anyway to be safe.

kk.
29-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Yes, it is worth upgrading. Assuming you use the upgrade option you should not need to manually backup and restore all your stuff, but I'd strongly recommend you do it anyway to be safe.

agreed. I upgraded my PC the other day but still backed everything up. I went for a clean install, just to try and speed my computer up even more, and it still saved all my old files in a folder called windows.old.

Jahova
29-01-2010, 06:28 PM
It is worth the upgrade, in my opinion, of course.

Soka
29-01-2010, 06:37 PM
i bought this laptop from staples before i went to uni, and its a toshiba. On the receipt it says 'Your eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it releases' and says to visit the website, which i have done and gone through.

Now i've entered all the laptop serial codes and stuff, and its saying its going to cost £27.90 for the disk to be dispatched, there is a coupon redemption box which i'm assuming will make it free, but theres no coupon codes on my receipt. Damn staples

Markeh
29-01-2010, 07:17 PM
i bought this laptop from staples before i went to uni, and its a toshiba. On the receipt it says 'Your eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it releases' and says to visit the website, which i have done and gone through.

Now i've entered all the laptop serial codes and stuff, and its saying its going to cost £27.90 for the disk to be dispatched, there is a coupon redemption box which i'm assuming will make it free, but theres no coupon codes on my receipt. Damn staples

You aren't gonna get a code anyway

There wasn't an option when I had to fork out £22 for shipping for mine from HP.

kk.
29-01-2010, 07:37 PM
try going to a store with it?

---MAD---
09-02-2010, 12:00 AM
It's definitely worth upgrading. I purchased a student upgrade from microsoft.co.uk back in october and haven't regretted upgrading since. My laptop is now just over 2 years old and works very smoothly and start up is a lot faster than it was with vista (although I never really had any problems with vista) and it definitely feels faster when launching applications etc.

Upgrading is very simple and smooth, I didn't lose any programs or data and had no problems moving forward (with compatibility etc).

LMS16
20-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Acer only charged me £12.50 for delivery, the £27 is all they would of paid for it, shipping doesnt cost that much. So it basically seems cheap to your but they are just getting their money back as they bought them in bulk.

Lew.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!