PDA

View Full Version : Gaming Testing!

Mickword
04-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Hey Guys! My mates from school love Xbox and PS3 as do I, and we where all wondering how do you become a Game Tester for Microsoft or Sony?

Thread moved by iAdam (Forum Super Moderator); From 'Discuss Anything'.

Jordy
04-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Microsoft do this "Playtest" service. Bare in mind it'll only feature Microsoft games rather than all Xbox 360 games (The likes of Halo, Gears of War, PGR etc).

Never heard anyone using it before so I don't know how good it is, I hear these things are rather difficult to get into though.

dbgtz
04-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Game testers are based on the developer not the publisher (unless its a subsidary of those said).
Do microsoft even own any subsidaries?

Blinger1
04-02-2010, 10:37 PM
They own bungie soft or whatever the company that makes halo is

Stryderman
04-02-2010, 10:40 PM
My uncles mate tests games then has to write a review on the background / scenary etc i have no idea how he got the job think he just emailed them asking. Thats probably the best way to go forward anyway is email who you want to test for and ask them direct.

dbgtz
04-02-2010, 10:54 PM
They own bungie soft or whatever the company that makes halo is
I think they're on contract as they're seperating from microsoft?

Blinger1
04-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Hmm, maybe they are now, i know they used to be together.

Jam
05-02-2010, 11:17 PM
I think they're on contract as they're seperating from microsoft?

Seperated, although a few people from Bungie made 343 Industries which is MS's Halo dept, and proberly future dev if they make anymore after reach.

As for games testing, I doubt 'you and your friends' are ever going to do any. Multiple reasons, main one being the lack of UK developers. There's Midway Gateshead, Rockstar Leeds and Lionhead, the latter of which would be the only one that would bother with extensive BETA testing. Proberly more but none as major as those.

Fez
05-02-2010, 11:27 PM
As for games testing, I doubt 'you and your friends' are ever going to do any. Multiple reasons, main one being the lack of UK developers

After Japan and America, the UK is the third largest hotbed of videogame developers.

Hiro
05-02-2010, 11:28 PM
I know Lionhead allow you to be a volunteer games tester when they are in the final stages of development. They don't pay for travel or accommodation though.

dbgtz
05-02-2010, 11:30 PM
Seperated, although a few people from Bungie made 343 Industries which is MS's Halo dept, and proberly future dev if they make anymore after reach.

As for games testing, I doubt 'you and your friends' are ever going to do any. Multiple reasons, main one being the lack of UK developers. There's Midway Gateshead, Rockstar Leeds and Lionhead, the latter of which would be the only one that would bother with extensive BETA testing. Proberly more but none as major as those.
No they're seperating as they're still doing halo:reach. Also you can go to lionhead for work experience, LOL.

Some UK developers:
Rockstar (a couple of them, notably R* North who do most GTAs)
Lionhead
Media Molecule
SCEE London studio
Jagex (the ones who do runescape)

Those are the ones I know but you can browse through here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_computer_and_video_game_companies
Can't believe there's so many american ones, suprised they don't teach indian people and move them over there.

TickTockTickTock
05-02-2010, 11:43 PM
If I remember rightly the OP is like, thirteen. He ain't got a chance for a number of reasons, one of the not so obvious ones would be that the only games he'd be able to test would be U/12.

Jam
05-02-2010, 11:55 PM
No they're seperating as they're still doing halo:reach. Also you can go to lionhead for work experience, LOL.

Some UK developers:
Rockstar (a couple of them, notably R* North who do most GTAs)
Lionhead
Media Molecule
SCEE London studio
Jagex (the ones who do runescape)

No they are seperated, MS own the IP and Bungie LLC is a seperate company, have been since about a week after Halo 3, and I did point out that Lionhead would be one of those that bother with testing etc. And as some evidence this time round; http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&cid=12834

As for my lack of knowledge about UK developers, never knew that MM was from here and I should have known about SCE Liverpool from F106/CE.

dbgtz
06-02-2010, 12:02 AM
OK tooshay, I thought Bungie were leaving after this Halo (also I knew MS owned Halo). And yer neither did I about MM and the fact it's only like 1 hour from me.
Aren't Bungie making something for PS3? Like exclusive.

Black_Apalachi
06-02-2010, 01:05 AM
My uncles mate tests games then has to write a review on the background / scenary etc i have no idea how he got the job think he just emailed them asking. Thats probably the best way to go forward anyway is email who you want to test for and ask them direct.

They must get hundreds of emails from kids thinking it would be great to get to play games for free before they're released. I'm guessing you would need some sort of qualification - even if it's just an English GCSE. Just to give them a reason why they can't just accept everyone who applies.

PaulMacC
06-02-2010, 04:33 AM
They must get hundreds of emails from kids thinking it would be great to get to play games for free before they're released. I'm guessing you would need some sort of qualification - even if it's just an English GCSE. Just to give them a reason why they can't just accept everyone who applies.
I think you'd require some insight into games too. I mean I'm sure a games development course or some insight into programming would put you ahead. Plus you'd need to me mature. They'd probably pick a 25 year old with a computer science degree over a 16 year old with a B in ICT GCSE.

Black_Apalachi
06-02-2010, 04:45 AM
Yeah exactly lol. You would also need time set aside to devote to whatever game they want you to test at that time, and I'm guessing a 'test' requires a LOT of hours of game play. I know school children play games a lot but I don't think it would fit into their day tbh

Stryderman
06-02-2010, 04:48 AM
They test graphics and scenery like in football games they look at the crowds etc. Its not all about playing games you have to write a massive review on them, Just become a photographer for a xxx magazine alot more thrills from that imo

PaulMacC
06-02-2010, 06:49 AM
They have to test every spot in the game, like the smallest corner in the smallest room. Just to make sure you cant fall through the floors or whatever and you note down every glitch, bug or fault you find. It can be quite repetitive. I'll stick to playing games though, thanks ;)

Jord
06-02-2010, 07:00 AM
Best way to go about it is checking the websites for job openings and contacting them,

Oleh
06-02-2010, 11:41 AM
I know lionhead do a 2 week work experience, thats all i heard

Jagex allow 18 year olds to work there as a part time job as a mod (accomodation, gym, health, food all that)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!