PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of ourselves as avatars

Titch
05-02-2010, 10:29 PM
Hey hey,

i know its been asked before and nvrs said no but we have new management now so i thought its worth a go. Can we be aloud to have pictures of ourselves as avatars if we wish to, every other forum has it now (including one owned by staff member ludus) I don't see the problem in us wanting to show a picture of ourselves?

Titchy Witchy.

Closed by Jamesy (Forum Super Moderator) due to spam/ arguments

Jamesy
05-02-2010, 10:36 PM
I believe this was turned down because a majority of the members were against it. I don't really want to see people in their avatars either.

Titch
05-02-2010, 10:38 PM
I believe this was turned down because a majority of the members were against it. I don't really want to see people in their avatars either.

why, i dont like loads of people avs but nufin i can do bout it...

GommeInc
05-02-2010, 11:05 PM
why, i dont like loads of people avs but nufin i can do bout it...
A pretty good point to be honest :P

Though I don't particularly care whether people do or not, the good thing about people not having pictures of themselves in their avatars is that it releases their creative side, but then who's to say load of people would change their avatar to a picture of themselves anyway :/

Richie
05-02-2010, 11:09 PM
I made a thread about it last month nd they said no, still don't get why it would make a difference for those who don't upload a pic of themselves ?

Hecktix
05-02-2010, 11:10 PM
It's been discussed so many times before and the answers always been no.

I don't particularly want to see people's avatars as themselves, if I want to see pictures of people I'd go to "Post a Picture of You"

That's my personal opinion, but if previous times are anything to go by a lot of people share this opinion.

However if that's not the case this time, I see no reason why this wouldn't be considered.

Titch
06-02-2010, 12:11 AM
It's been discussed so many times before and the answers always been no.

I don't particularly want to see people's avatars as themselves, if I want to see pictures of people I'd go to "Post a Picture of You"

That's my personal opinion, but if previous times are anything to go by a lot of people share this opinion.

However if that's not the case this time, I see no reason why this wouldn't be considered.

i dont want to see your avatar but i still have to 2 :S so shud be same with photos. Should be our choice if we wish too?

Hecktix
06-02-2010, 12:16 AM
i dont want to see your avatar but i still have to 2 :S so shud be same with photos. Should be our choice if we wish too?

Well that depends on what the rest of the people on the forum think.

wixard
06-02-2010, 12:19 AM
people would prob feel threatened by my beauty

i don't see the problem for everyone else though, it will probably make everyone feel about 100 times better about themselves

Stryderman
06-02-2010, 12:41 AM
Personally i wouldnt use my pic as my avvy and i dont see why you would want to?

However you should also be able to choose what you have as your avatar so i couldnt see why not.

Black_Apalachi
06-02-2010, 12:54 AM
Although I'm not sure why so many people share this view, I would also agree that I don't want to see people's pictures in their avatars.

-:Undertaker:-
06-02-2010, 12:55 AM
Allow them, no reason not to. I might not want to see Emma Watson in an avatar/signature, i'll live though.

Amberr
06-02-2010, 01:21 AM
Personally i wouldnt use a pic of myself as my avatar, but i dont see it is as a problem if people wish to have a pic of themselfs for it.

kk.
06-02-2010, 01:28 AM
The reason was something to do with people using it in arguments and saying 'yh well ur ugly' blah blah blah. Tbh, if you wernt comfortable with the way you looked, you wouldn't post it on here, let alone hve it as an avatar.

I'm for this idea. Not that I would use it, as you can see, I do not have an avatar. I personally wouldn't want to see avatars of JLS, etc. Also, how would you know it's a picture of them or not. I could put a myself in mine an pretend to be gay, and then say 'oh no, it's just someone I like' ;l

Richie
06-02-2010, 01:53 AM
The majority agree with it so far, should stick up a polll or sumtiin.

today
06-02-2010, 01:11 PM
some people are full on munters, i dont wanna see them in avatars lol.

Barmi
06-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Promoting user choice is a good thing.

Nixt
06-02-2010, 02:28 PM
I have created a feedback thread asking members whether they would / would not like to see this. The result may (or may not) influence the decision we make in regard to having pictures of yourselves as your avatar. Personally, I don't see the appeal. However, if it is the desire for a significant proportion of our members then I don't see why we won't at least consider it.

kk.
06-02-2010, 02:54 PM
some people are full on munters, i dont wanna see them in avatars lol.
K, when I get home, I'm just gonna put a random ugly person in my avatar, what would b the difference?

I have created a feedback thread asking members whether they would / would not like to see this. The result may (or may not) influence the decision we make in regard to having pictures of yourselves as your avatar. Personally, I don't see the appeal. However, if it is the desire for a significant proportion of our members then I don't see why we won't at least consider it.
could you look at my above post and answer how you would determine whether someone has put themselves up, or just a random person they liked?

Nixt
06-02-2010, 02:56 PM
K, when I get home, I'm just gonna put a random ugly person in my avatar, what would b the difference?

could you look at my above post and answer how you would determine whether someone has put themselves up, or just a random person they liked?

There is no definitive way of being able to tell who is who. The same way if a person decides to post a picture of themselves in papoy, there is no way we can tell if it is them. Indeed, there have been occasions where people have lied. That's inevitable.

kk.
06-02-2010, 03:16 PM
Which is my point, you can't have a rule if it can't be moderated really. There's no real reason to have this rule. If people aren't confident with themselves, they won't use it. And if people don't like looking at other peoples avatars thn tough, there's an option to disable isn't there? I could have a really ugly avatar of a randomer, and people wouldn't like looking at that..

Titch
06-02-2010, 04:06 PM
There is no definitive way of being able to tell who is who. The same way if a person decides to post a picture of themselves in papoy, there is no way we can tell if it is them. Indeed, there have been occasions where people have lied. That's inevitable.

so techincally i put pic of me in my av anyway and say its a famous person who does sumin ? as we r allowed "famous" people in our avs.

xxMATTGxx
06-02-2010, 04:14 PM
so techincally i put pic of me in my av anyway and say its a famous person who does sumin ? as we r allowed "famous" people in our avs.

Then you would have to hand over the famous persons name and a quick google search can tell anyone if the person is famous or not.

Titch
06-02-2010, 04:18 PM
Then you would have to hand over the famous persons name and a quick google search can tell anyone if the person is famous or not.

what does famous count as though, some1 who plays for england in a sport count?

Mathew
06-02-2010, 04:20 PM
If this is allowed, please don't change your avatar, Titch. I'd crap myself everytime I read your posts.

Catzsy
06-02-2010, 04:41 PM
In my view this would cause more trouble than it's worth. Some members would get teased and bullied just because they don't match the stereotype of what is 'conventionally' attractive. If they have a lack of confidence in posting their picture then they may well be accused of 'being fake'. I don't think anybody would benefit from it. As Oli and Garion have said there is a thread for posting pictures for those who want to and if it was introduced members might feel 'obliged'. Quite honestly what is attractive depends on what attracts you. I don't go for conventional handsome types and like big noses. :P

Barmi
06-02-2010, 04:54 PM
In my view this would cause more trouble than it's worth. Some members would get teased and bullied just because they don't match the stereotype of what is 'conventionally' attractive. If they have a lack of confidence in posting their picture then they may well be accused of 'being fake'. I don't think anybody would benefit from it. As Oli and Garion have said there is a thread for posting pictures for those who want to and if it was introduced members might feel 'obliged'. Quite honestly what is attractive depends on what attracts you. I don't go for conventional handsome types and like big noses. :P
The insecure types are no more likely to put an image of themselves in their avatar than they are in the relevant thread. It's a ridiculous rule to enforce in practice, and it limits user choice.

Some of the arguments put forward by senior management in this thread have been impressively weak and unnecessarily conservative.

Edit: For the record I don't post pictures of myself on Habbo forums and have no intention of doing so, but that doesn't stop me from realising that the arguments against change are ridiculous.

Edit: Congratulations to whoever can't frame an unbiased poll. Of course most people here don't want to put a personal photo as an avatar... but you should be asking whether members would mind if other members did. Phrasing a poll the wrong way around to generate the response you want is a shambles.

Richie
06-02-2010, 05:19 PM

Jesus made the ban button for a reason. That's like saying "those who don't post in "post a picture" will be classed as being fake" What's the difference?

I'm not going to be putting a pic of me in my dp, but I still disagree with it being against the rules to put a pic of yourself in ur avatar. If I won the lotto tonight could I post a pic of me in my avatar? cos id be classed as "famous" once again could sumtin not be wisked up so ppl have a selection either to see avatars or not? kinda like the filter selection I was talking bout. Anything is possible, u just dnt know it yet.

GommeInc
06-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Seems a bit of a dodgy rule to enforce. If people are likely to be bullied when an argument goes wrong, surely there's just as much chance of any sort of bullying anyway? People should be able to have themselves as their avatar (within reason) and if they get bullied, the bully will be taken care of as usual :/

FlyingJesus
07-02-2010, 03:29 AM
Allow them, no reason not to. I might not want to see Emma Watson in an avatar/signature, i'll live though.

Why would you not want to look at Emma Watson

do people like looking at my avatar?

Jumped the gun a bit they haven't said you can do it yet ;|

Apart from aesthetics, I think the problem really would be controversies over "fake" people who put up pictures of people who aren't them claiming that they are. It's happened enough just with a "post a pic" thread, having it involved with every post a person makes would have a much bigger impact.

Then again, maybe that would be interesting for a day or two at least.

Black_Apalachi
07-02-2010, 04:12 AM
K, when I get home, I'm just gonna put a random ugly person in my avatar, what would b the difference? ...

The difference is you're just doing it to be difficult

Which is my point, you can't have a rule if it can't be moderated really. There's no real reason to have this rule. If people aren't confident with themselves, they won't use it. And if people don't like looking at other peoples avatars thn tough, there's an option to disable isn't there? I could have a really ugly avatar of a randomer, and people wouldn't like looking at that..

Well the rule has been working perfectly fine since the dawn of Habbox and I don't see why those of us who don't want to see the few avatars with people's pictures in should have to hide every avatar on the forum

kk.
07-02-2010, 08:32 AM
I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm trying to prove a point. People are complaining saying that they wouldn't want to see ugly people in avatars. I've picked a random person for mine, which proved two points I'd made.
1. Ugly avatar
2. If I hadn't posted in the papoy, and i'd chose a less obvious google search, no one would have known it was me. If a mod asked me, I'd just say it was someone I found attractive..

Yes the rules worked fine up to now. Hell, the rule worked fine because wasn't it a rule on habbo? Which is why it was there in the first place? They changed their rule, I think it's about time we changed ours..

Black_Apalachi
07-02-2010, 09:10 AM
Well I'm not calling anybody ugly so I don't care about that but strictly speaking, I would have thought it should be against the rules to have an avatar of ANYBODY who isn't famous (i.e. easily found via a Google search). You found that picture randomly on the internet so what if whoever it is decides to register on Habbox and sees your avatar - especially with people talking about it being ugly. This may be unlikely but it's still a possibility given that we're talking about the biggest fansite of one of the biggest online games.

Anyway, whatever lol :P just answer me one thing; how the hell would you post a picture on Habbo anyway?!

kk.
07-02-2010, 11:15 AM
It was just that it was against the habbo way to post pictures of yourself on fansites.. Or something.

There's no specific rule regarding posting pictures of randomers for ur avatar tho

luce
07-02-2010, 11:26 AM
i hate it on forums where you have to look at people i just think it's better to have something like this where they are threads but there is no need to have them on every post :D!

Titch
07-02-2010, 01:33 PM
im found on google search page one when typing a certain sport, does tht me i cn have pic of myself.

and if i cn put a random picture up of sum1 off google why cant a picture of me, WHATS THE DIFFERENCE?

Barmi
07-02-2010, 01:37 PM
im found on google search page one when typing a certain sport, does tht me i cn have pic of myself.

and if i cn put a random picture up of sum1 off google why cant a picture of me, WHATS THE DIFFERENCE?
Stubborn management blinded by their own very fallible logic.

Jamesy
07-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Stubborn management blinded by their own very fallible logic.

If management were that stubborn would they have made a poll and carried this on further?

kk.
07-02-2010, 01:50 PM
If they weren't, they wouldn't post the big bold red writing saying 'the result of this poll does not matter, we're not changing cus we said so' or, at least, that's what it should have said, because that's what it sounds like.

Just like YouTube embedding, it's 2:1 in favour, yet, no word as of yet, and because sam and garion don't want it, it prob means we won't get it

The Professor
07-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Didn't sierk not want it for some reason so we don't have a choice anyway?

All the arguments against don't wash with me, I could put a picture of anyone in my DP and yeah idk where this sentence is going but it doesnt make sense anyway. Should probably have slept more last night :D

Barmi
07-02-2010, 04:33 PM
If management were that stubborn would they have made a poll and carried this on further?
I biased poll to generate the response they want, coupled with a fat disclaimer.

Immenseman
07-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Sierk specified to me when I was AGM he didn't want users to have pictures in their avatar and unless his mind has changed then his wish should be respected.

Titch
07-02-2010, 05:14 PM
Sierk specified to me when I was AGM he didn't want users to have pictures in their avatar and unless his mind has changed then his wish should be respected.

hes not around and we have a new owner.

Immenseman
07-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Absolutely. It's his forum though, we could have endless joint owners and Habbox would still belong to sierk as far as I'm concerned. It's like on CH - they don't allow you to post your email. On HabboForum - they don't like you posting your DOB in threads. Different sites have different things, which other ones allow. Habbox don't like you posting pictures in your avvy. None of them really hold that much weight but it's just the way it goes!

Jamesy
07-02-2010, 05:19 PM
I biased poll to generate the response they want, coupled with a fat disclaimer.

I'd like to know why you feel it is biased, and your evidence to back this up.

GommeInc
07-02-2010, 05:21 PM
Just put a picture of someone else in your avatar (I could put Immenseman in my avatar) with their consent. Simple ;)

Seatherny
07-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Absolutely. It's his forum though, we could have endless joint owners and Habbox would still belong to sierk as far as I'm concerned. It's like on CH - they don't allow you to post your email. On HabboForum - they don't like you posting your DOB in threads. Different sites have different things, which other ones allow. Habbox don't like you posting pictures in your avvy. None of them really hold that much weight but it's just the way it goes!

It belongs to both Jin and sierk considering the amount of time Jin puts into it and helps pay for it too out of his own money.
Before Mizki owned it, jrh2002 owned the forum, but they left and sierk stayed on.

But I agree, every forum have their own things.

Titch
07-02-2010, 05:24 PM
Just put a picture of someone else in your avatar (I could put Immenseman in my avatar) with their consent. Simple ;)

Why wud i want to have sum1 else in my avatar? Its MY avatar, so should be ME.

Im just guna put me in ma av anyway and keep doing it if its removed.

Jamesy
07-02-2010, 05:25 PM

That really won't achieve a lot :P

Barmi
07-02-2010, 05:25 PM
I'd like to know why you feel it is biased, and your evidence to back this up.
If you cared to read the thread, you'll notice I said this earlier:

Edit: Congratulations to whoever can't frame an unbiased poll. Of course most people here don't want to put a personal photo as an avatar... but you should be asking whether members would mind if other members did. Phrasing a poll the wrong way around to generate the response you want is a shambles.
It's biased because it isn't sensitively worded. I don't think I need to drill into evidence because we all know (or should know) the problems with biased polls. (Hint: a question at referendum is scrutinised to make sure it's as neutral as possible.)

today
07-02-2010, 05:26 PM

And get banned.

Seatherny
07-02-2010, 05:27 PM
And get banned.

Could always pretend its not you and that you found the picture somewhere on a site.

Immenseman
07-02-2010, 05:29 PM
lmao, epic. i would so do this if my forum avatar didn't keep hxf alive :l

today
07-02-2010, 05:30 PM
Could always pretend its not you and that you found the picture somewhere on a site.
Once you've put yourself up once, its pretty obv so you cant really hide it.

Titch
07-02-2010, 05:31 PM

will say its ma brother, look identical to both ma brothers so sorted. now just gotta find a nice picture :)

Seatherny
07-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Once you've put yourself up once, its pretty obv so you cant really hide it.

will say its ma brother, look identical to both ma brothers so sorted. now just gotta find a nice picture :)

Pretend the Avatar person is a look like and you were so shocked that you had to put it as your avatar.

today
07-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Pretend the Avatar person is a look like and you were so shocked that you had to put it as your avatar.
Still will results in it being removed, either way.

Titch
07-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Still will results in it being removed, either way.

no it doesnt, ur allowed any1 but urself, lookalike isnt me ;)

today
07-02-2010, 05:37 PM
no it doesnt, ur allowed any1 but urself, lookalike isnt me ;)
You've just blatenly said your "plan" thus it will get removed.

Titch
07-02-2010, 05:39 PM
You've just blatenly said your "plan" thus it will get removed.

na cus they have no way of actually prooving it.

GommeInc

Well seeing as there is no rule against it, you can upload other people (the rule states 'you' cannot upload a picture of 'yourself'). No mention of other people, infact, it suggests you don't need their consent :P

For your own though, that's a matter of persuasion, though at the moment the main fears seem to be bullying (moderators are there to deal with this) and whether or not sierk agrees, even though his opinion isn't really that important, other he owns the forum (not regularly uses it).

And Barmi does have a point. It seems to be asking whether you'd want to upload an avatar of yourself, rather than would you mind other people using themselves as their avatars. Not very useful and kinda biased/poorly constructed.

today
na cus they have no way of actually prooving it.
Your post, has just proved it.

Titch
07-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Your post, has just proved it.

not really, everyone knows i talk crap most of time anyway so no way of prooving its true ;)

today
07-02-2010, 05:42 PM
not really, everyone knows i talk crap most of time anyway so no way of prooving its true ;)
Stop trying to be cocky, it fails.

Edited by Jamesy (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not post pointlessly, thanks.

Titch
07-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Stop trying to be cocky, it fails.

no you trying to argue with me fails.

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/accident-aground.jpg

Edited by Jamesy (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not post pointlessly, thanks.

today
07-02-2010, 05:46 PM
no you trying to argue with me fails.

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/accident-aground.jpg
As i said, you've just proved my point.

Titch
07-02-2010, 05:50 PM
As i said, you've just proved my point.

Im not trying to be "cocky". The way i am on here, is the way i am, its me, get over it.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!