PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Billing without asking for permission.

PatrickMS
09-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Hey,

1and1.co.uk billed me for two domains which I asked them a while ago to remove from my next billing cycle (i accidentely set them all to be removed from next billing cycle, however emailed them to ask them to put them back on except those two!) Now i get billed £21 for two domains I asked them to remove from the billing cycle and they won't give me a refund.

edit: they also didn't send me an invoice!

I've contacted support and billing however this has not helped me much (typical of 1and1). What can i do?

Thanks
+rep to all who help!

Black_Apalachi
09-02-2010, 07:09 PM
I'm pretty sure they can't really refuse to provide an invoice for a start. If they aren't being helpful I would make a formal complaint and see what happens then

Johno
09-02-2010, 09:44 PM
This happened to me, had a good few phonecalls with them and their idiotic staff and they can do this as it states they will do it in the T&C's (from what I can remember) - At the time when they billed me, they blamed it all on the VAT change and it was a big hassle to get it all sorted out.

I remember emailing [email protected] or something like that and complaining about their service and they told me to cancel the domains through nominet (the UK registry) and they would refund me.

Of course, you are best to speak to them about this (as I don't know if it is a .co.uk domain or what) and see what they say. The regristry said to me that they would not do anything for me as the responsibility lied between me and the registrar. It will probably take a good few phone calls and plenty of e-mails but I hope it gets sorted!

PatrickMS
09-02-2010, 10:12 PM
This happened to me, had a good few phonecalls with them and their idiotic staff and they can do this as it states they will do it in the T&C's (from what I can remember) - At the time when they billed me, they blamed it all on the VAT change and it was a big hassle to get it all sorted out.

I remember emailing [email protected] or something like that and complaining about their service and they told me to cancel the domains through nominet (the UK registry) and they would refund me.

Of course, you are best to speak to them about this (as I don't know if it is a .co.uk domain or what) and see what they say. The regristry said to me that they would not do anything for me as the responsibility lied between me and the registrar. It will probably take a good few phone calls and plenty of e-mails but I hope it gets sorted!

Ahh now i'm getting somewhere! Would you have a backup of the email?

I'll PM you.

btw they did it for two domains which ended up about £20 (not much but on 6 domains that becomes a lot!) I'll be leaving 1and1 for sure!

Johno
09-02-2010, 10:44 PM
I have replied to your PM :)

Yeah, after the hassle I had I moved away pretty much the next day. I had a big hoo-ha about it because, I had never had a problem with them and had actually recommended them to people - it was bloody annoying for them to lie to me.

Firehorse
09-02-2010, 10:53 PM
This happened to me, i've never used them since.

Its how they make all their money, they don't ask you if you want to keep it and don't make it clear that you'll make an automatic renewal. They send you emails to say renewal is soon and "remember to renew".

When I cancelled my direct paypal debit to them they started chasing me for the £15 payment and threatening to send bailifs.

Just cancel your payments and ignore them and they'll soon get the message.

PatrickMS
10-02-2010, 07:24 AM
gah Hello,

I was going to stop the following domains:

domain1
domain2
domain3

However i said that i wanted to cancel one or more domains and that i wanted them to expire on the date they were set to renew. Once i confirmed this i was then told that all my domains would be cancled on the date of renewal (really not what i wanted!)

The domians which I want to keep are as follows:

domain4
domain5
domain6

Is it possible to change some settings so that when the domains i want to keep expire, i will be sent an invoice? (I really hope so...)

Thanks a lot!

thats the exact email i sent them two months ago before it expired. Any way i could really complain and get the money back? (i specifcally said invoice and cancel so tbh they didn't do what I asked them :( )

Thanks!

Black_Apalachi
10-02-2010, 09:05 AM
If you asked to cancel and they ignored you, then yes, complain.

PatrickMS
10-02-2010, 07:14 PM
lol its 1and1, doubt i'll win. Still sent them a lengthy email thanks to Johno!

Will keep you guys updated!

Thanks for help!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!