PDA

View Full Version : Flaws in the Post Approval system

Black_Apalachi
10-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Recently I reported a post which was advertising some scam ('Download this for free credits' or whatever) and I've just come across another in the Welcome forum advising members to download something, which I've also reported. On both occasions it was the member's first post.

Now, I'm not sure exactly how the post approval system works, but I assumed it involved somebody manually allowing posts to pass through? Or am I mistaken, and it is now automated with a CAPTCHA or whatever? Either way, it is letting these sorts of posts onto the forum. I've also noticed that they seem to be posted in the early hours when it is less likely for moderators to be online to deal with them (like now). Just think it's something that should be considered as it could posses a risk.

Cheers x

Immenseman
10-02-2010, 09:49 AM
I think it's a CAPTCHA now so all they have to do is put a code in and I could be wrong here but it's disabled in the intro forum.

Hecktix
10-02-2010, 10:06 AM
I think it's a CAPTCHA now so all they have to do is put a code in and I could be wrong here but it's disabled in the intro forum.

Not too sure on whether it applies in welcome forum, will check when I get home.

It's true Rob, since the removal of the Post Approval system we have had more dangerous links posted in public whereas before they were only seen by moderators.

The CAPTCHA system doesn't stop all spambots and this is a risk we took removing the original approvals.

Active membership has increased since, however here we cannot be sure if the new approval system is the reason for this.

Black_Apalachi
10-02-2010, 10:19 AM
If it is a CAPTCHA system, it needs to apply in all forums. Anyway just wanted to bring it to your attention x

Hecktix
10-02-2010, 10:24 AM
If it is a CAPTCHA system, it needs to apply in all forums. Anyway just wanted to bring it to your attention x

It does apply in all as far as I know. But still people can get past it :p

Black_Apalachi
10-02-2010, 10:25 AM
Oh OK. The thread is still visible btw; http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=627463

In future if I put something like *URGENT* in the post report, will it make it more noticeable on the list or can you only see it when you come to it?

Hecktix
10-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Oh OK. The thread is still visible btw; http://www.habboxforum.com/showthread.php?t=627463

In future if I put something like *URGENT* in the post report, will it make it more noticeable on the list or can you only see it when you come to it?

I have moved it now, quite hard on my phone :p

it's not the post report getting ignored it's the fact no super moderators have been online to deal with it.

As I said, using the previous post report system new threadscould only be seen by mods so it never used to be a problem

Blinger1
10-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Make it so you can't post a link in the first five posts or whatever it is needed during the captcha phase

Black_Apalachi
10-02-2010, 07:44 PM
Make it so you can't post a link in the first five posts or whatever it is needed during the captcha phase

This is a good idea if it's possible :)

today
10-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Dont think cha can just like thatt.

Hecktix
10-02-2010, 11:58 PM
Yeah I don't think that's possible plus it causes complications as well as a lot of new members try to post profile links/things they don't understand in the 'Ask the Forum Staff' forum.

today
11-02-2010, 12:00 AM
Doesnt happen that often anyway, 9/10 times mod's are on the case.

Black_Apalachi
11-02-2010, 12:45 AM
Fair point. Close this if you wish Oli x

Hecktix
11-02-2010, 12:47 AM
Doesnt happen that often anyway, 9/10 times mod's are on the case.

They sureee are :)
We have moderators covering the forums around 20 hours a day :)

I'll close it then, thanks for bringing it up Rob :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!