PDA

View Full Version : Do you think it would be possible...

Papershop
10-02-2010, 11:44 PM
...to start off in the thesaurus with one word, and end with something that is the complete opposite to the first?

syko2006
10-02-2010, 11:50 PM
By doing what? :P

today
10-02-2010, 11:51 PM
So like start with 'hello' then end with 'bye?

but obv something with A then something with Z?

Papershop
11-02-2010, 12:08 AM
Like start with hello. Look in the thesaurus and get a list of other words and then pick another word and keep working until you get to bye?

today
11-02-2010, 12:09 AM
Like start with hello. Look in the thesaurus and get a list of other words and then pick another word and keep working until you get to bye?
Hello -> Bye? i win?

syko2006
11-02-2010, 12:11 AM

I assumed so.

I don't think it would be possibly, but who knows? Give it a try. :D

today
11-02-2010, 12:12 AM
I dont understand it, explain in simple terms for *******s like me.

Papershop
11-02-2010, 12:14 AM
no because bye is not a another word for hello. for example
hello>greetings>salute..... etc etc till you go back round to bye?

brandon
11-02-2010, 12:16 AM
Taking a word, using a thesaurus to look at other words and finally get to the original words antonym. It's genius!

I'm sure it's possible but with hello and bye I doubt it.

today
11-02-2010, 12:16 AM
no because bye is not a another word for hello. for example
hello>greetings>salute..... etc etc till you go back round to bye?
Oh, its late. I blame the nightime/bed calling me sounds. Get cha.

edit: brandon your such a geek <3

syko2006
11-02-2010, 12:18 AM
I dont understand it, explain in simple terms for *******s like me.

*Searches for ''hello''*
*Finds more words for ''hello''*
*Picks the word ''greetings''*
*Goes to ''greetings''*
*Finds more words for ''greetings''*
*Picks the word ''aquaintance''*
*Goes to ''aquaintance''*
*Finds more words for ''aquaintance''*
Lets say another word under ''aquaintance'' was ''goodbye.''
Then you've gone from ''hello'' to ''goodbye'' by scanning the other words and eventually ending up with a word which is the opposite of the first word you picked.

I hope this has cleared things up for you. :D

today
11-02-2010, 12:21 AM
*Searches for ''hello''*
*Goes to ''greetings''*
Then you've gone from ''hello'' to ''goodbye'' by scanning the other words and eventually ending up with a word which is the opposite of the first word you picked.

Your my ideal translater. thankyou hahah!

Papershop
11-02-2010, 12:22 AM
I think talking about it has made me realise its probably possible. since words have different meanings. Anyways its for a project, i hope to write 30 pages of other meanings spiralling from the start word. I will let you know if i succeed.

today
11-02-2010, 12:24 AM
Bloody hell, is this for uni work?

syko2006
11-02-2010, 12:25 AM
Your my ideal translater. thankyou hahah!

No worries haha! :D

I think talking about it has made me realise its probably possible. since words have different meanings. Anyways its for a project, i hope to write 30 pages of other meanings spiralling from the start word. I will let you know if i succeed.

I thought that haha! At first I didn't think it was possible, but then I thought into it a little bit more and it's changed my perception of the idea. I think if it was possible then it'd be very hard to find a word to start/end up with haha. :D

Papershop
11-02-2010, 12:26 AM
yea... its taking me about 2 weeks to come up with this, i kinda like to take a step beack and observe before i rush in ;) so i have about 2 weeks left. ;-)

syko2006
11-02-2010, 12:27 AM
yea... its taking me about 2 weeks to come up with this, i kinda like to take a step beack and observe before i rush in ;) so i have about 2 weeks left. ;-)

Oh, nice haha! Good luck with future discoveries! :D

GommeInc
11-02-2010, 12:28 AM
I think he means by going through a whole range of words until you get to the opposite meaning. Kinda like what happens on Wikipedia sometimes, where you follow link after link after link. Although, I believe a thesaurus is limited to what words you can follow?

Papershop
11-02-2010, 12:31 AM
i admit i might end up in a loop of the same words appearing, but meh, i can always improvise and use 'slang' words or whatever.

Black_Apalachi
11-02-2010, 01:22 AM
Taking a word, using a thesaurus to look at other words and finally get to the original words antonym. It's genius!

I'm sure it's possible but with hello and bye I doubt it.

Yeah as Brandon said it's probably possible with some words but certainly not something as simple as hello and bye. Good question though!

Grig
16-02-2010, 02:10 PM
To answer your question, it is probably impossible that is what a thesarus is used for. If you get from hello and end up with bye, then chances are you need a new thesaurus.

LoveToStack
16-02-2010, 06:08 PM
It'd be possible if the words in between have double meanings, that way you could stray away from the original purpose of the word towards something completely different. Obviously it doesn't mean that hello = bye though because it only works from one word to another, not between chains of words.

Smits
16-02-2010, 06:10 PM
You have way to much time on your hands.

Edited by Catzsy(Forum Moderator): Please don't make pointless posts. Thanks.

Aidobmac
18-02-2010, 12:31 PM
No idea what you mean

ecstasy
18-02-2010, 12:45 PM
No idea what you mean

*Searches for ''hello''*
*Goes to ''greetings''*

Read the thread :rolleyes:

Anyway, it probably would be, but only if at least one of the words in the chain has two meanings

Bun
18-02-2010, 05:20 PM
To answer your question, it is probably impossible that is what a thesarus is used for. If you get from hello and end up with bye, then chances are you need a new thesaurus.
lol no.

it would be possible yeh.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!