PDA

View Full Version : Is Life One Long Dream

Disaronno
13-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Recently myself and a friend were talking about our difference in beliefs as i am atheist and he is christian. And he was talking about "after life" and i said to him - "How do you know, you haven't lived your life as an Animal or a human - died and now the life your seeing now isn't a long dream-like journey?"

He couldn't really answer - I was wondering if you had any thoughts like this and what your thought on this are.

Thanks

Smits
13-02-2010, 03:48 PM
What you said doesnt really make sense...

What do mean by the life your seeing now isn't a long dream-like journey.

What is 'dream like'

And how does it relate to being having a previous life?

Disaronno
13-02-2010, 03:52 PM
Hmm -

I mean (by dream like) just one dream. When we sleep, we dream - so is life one long dream... if that makes sense....

And i dont know how it relates to previous life, but it was relevant to the conversation we was having at the time, and i still cant find an answer...

It does make sense because ive posted this on numerous forums and everybody has understood..

Mind you, this isnt the forums i go on and most of the people on the other forums are older than 19 and actually have an opinion on life and after life and give considerate posts and read past what is in the thread. Maybe they are more thoughtfull unlike some users of this forum that are till under 17

Smits
13-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Hmm -

I mean (by dream like) just one dream. When we sleep, we dream - so is life one long dream... if that makes sense....

It's not one big dream because we're awake. Unless i have another body somwhere sleeping.

And i dont know how it relates to previous life, but it was relevant to the conversation we was having at the time, and i still cant find an answer...

Fair enough?

It does make sense because ive posted this on numerous forums and everybody has understood..

Mind you, this isnt the forums i go on and most of the people on the other forums are older than 19 and actually have an opinion on life and after life and give considerate posts and read past what is in the thread. Maybe they are more thoughtfull unlike some users of this forum that are till under 17

I'm 18, and do have an opinion on life. If that was some kind of attempt to provoke an argument, unlucky.

I will say this though, many users on here are 'thoughtful'. I suggest you go back to those other forums where people post considerately.

Disaronno
13-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Hmm -

It's not one big dream because we're awake. Unless i have another body somwhere sleeping.

Fair enough?

I'm 18, and do have an opinion on life. If that was some kind of attempt to provoke an argument, unlucky.

I will say this though, many users on here are 'thoughtful'. I suggest you go back to those other forums where people post considerately.

The bit in bold is what the whole thread is about.... Also, i said most users i never actually said you... and no i dont argue with people on internet anymore its pointless and ive grown up.

So rather than adding the last little bit, just dont do it with someone next time because that could be construed as trying to argue

Smits
13-02-2010, 04:19 PM
The bit in bold is what the whole thread is about.... Also, i said most users i never actually said you... and no i dont argue with people on internet anymore its pointless and ive grown up.

So rather than adding the last little bit, just dont do it with someone next time because that could be construed as trying to argue

You should take your own advice here.

As for the topic. It's hardly a subject for debate. You either think we're all in a big dream, or you don't.

I'm not sure there's even a religion that believes that.

This is all real, i'm as awake as i'll ever be, and this is my only body. Thats what i think.

buttons
13-02-2010, 04:22 PM
maybe you should explain clearer instead of blaming others for not understanding? age is irrelvant when you've worded it poorly.

i kindof see where you're coming from i guess, if you're talking about past life i believe you come back as someone else but forget who you once were. if you're always dreaming then how does that explain being able to touch and feel but not being able to when you're actually sleeping? it doesn't add up. i actually think some parts of your dreams could be from your past, in this life or another life. maybe i'm not thinking about this correctly but i don't quite get it. either way, different people are going to think different things so you'll never get an accurate answer.

sorry i'm 17, i can't have an opinion on this. or is that just your excuse when people don't agree with you? :)

Black_Apalachi
13-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Are you asking if we are constantly dreaming when we think we are living a life or are you suggesting we are just a dream of someone or something else?

Inseriousity.
13-02-2010, 07:43 PM
Hmm there's not much room for debate really because no-one will know until they die (too late then!).

Although it does fit into the idea of reincarnation quite well. You live, you die which means you just 'wake up' into another life and the cycle goes round. Although is it possible to dream inside a dream? How annoying would that be! :P

Personally I think 'heaven' is more like a feeling than a place. The feeling of no doubts, no limits, no hate... just everlasting peace. :)

Tash.
14-02-2010, 12:18 PM
I get what you mean. You sort of have to think of dreaming as something different to what you experience when you go to sleep right now in order to understand. By this I mean in an actual dream you'd have on a night you wouldn't be able to necessarily touch or feel things, but if you think of the life you are living now you can.

I don't think that it is. I'm unsure of my opinion on what happens when we die. I'd like to think we die and come back as someone/thing else but it just seems so... absurd. I guess right now my opinion is when we die, we die. That's it.

ifuseekamy
14-02-2010, 12:44 PM
No, it's not. You can't feel anything when you're dead. Brain function ceases. Ergo, you certainly can't dream.

Black_Apalachi
14-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Hmm there's not much room for debate really because no-one will know until they die (too late then!).

Although it does fit into the idea of reincarnation quite well. You live, you die which means you just 'wake up' into another life and the cycle goes round. Although is it possible to dream inside a dream? How annoying would that be! :P

Personally I think 'heaven' is more like a feeling than a place. The feeling of no doubts, no limits, no hate... just everlasting peace. :)

I was thinking about the bold part when I first saw the thread but couldn't think of the answer. I have a feeling I have had a dream in which I was dreaming. I hardly ever remember dreams though so I'm not certain but I may have done.

That's also what I imagine heaven to be (well, I don't believe in heaven, but you know what I mean). Definitely not some cloud nine place.

I really don't get this whole idea of reincarnation. It just sounds like a fantasy to allow people to believe that their loved ones who have passed on are still around somewhere. To met, the possibility of it being reality is the same as the possibility of the tooth fair's existence. There's no actual practical advantages to it or anything, it just sounds like a magical myth.

Inseriousity.
14-02-2010, 02:21 PM
I was thinking about the bold part when I first saw the thread but couldn't think of the answer. I have a feeling I have had a dream in which I was dreaming. I hardly ever remember dreams though so I'm not certain but I may have done.

That's also what I imagine heaven to be (well, I don't believe in heaven, but you know what I mean). Definitely not some cloud nine place.

I really don't get this whole idea of reincarnation. It just sounds like a fantasy to allow people to believe that their loved ones who have passed on are still around somewhere. To met, the possibility of it being reality is the same as the possibility of the tooth fair's existence. There's no actual practical advantages to it or anything, it just sounds like a magical myth.

That's the same for all afterlife theories though, so I'm assuming you find them all fiction?

In answer to the question in the thread title btw, life is what you make it. :)

luce
14-02-2010, 05:18 PM
You know you haven't because when you dream you wake up when you die and when you feel pain etc etc life is impossible to be one long dream because billions of people would all have to be dreaming in sync with each other.. Or if you believed that billions were dreaming in sync there would have to be a god there to control it.

For example.. how could we all dream 9/11 and know the exact timing etc.

Also in your dreams you wouldn't allow pain or suffering on your behalf and you would get rid of people who challenged you or who you didn't like :)

Black_Apalachi
14-02-2010, 10:19 PM
That's the same for all afterlife theories though, so I'm assuming you find them all fiction?

In answer to the question in the thread title btw, life is what you make it. :)

What other theories are there? The only ones I know of are reincarnation (i.e. coming back as a different person/animal) and going to heaven/hell. Also when I said 'around somewhere' I meant on Earth. I guess you could use the same argument against the existence of heaven/hell however that isn't my reasoning for those :P

Adamm
14-02-2010, 10:22 PM
I tend not to think about things like this because it has no definate answer and it just make me depressed. It's better live life as it comes and accept whatever is thrown your way, whether you're woken up in The Matrix when you die or whether you lay in a hole until eternity.

I have no idea, nor do I want to have.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!