PDA

View Full Version : Copyright.

PaulMacC
13-02-2010, 11:05 PM
If someone uses my voice in a video without my permission would that allow me to file a copyright complaint against the video under the copyright law within the UK?

Misawa
13-02-2010, 11:08 PM
No, your voice isn't copyrighted.

Spiffing
13-02-2010, 11:09 PM
Probably. You own your voice 100% so if someone steals it then maybe?

PaulMacC
13-02-2010, 11:10 PM
No, your voice isn't copyrighted.
Doesnt voice fall under the category of audio though?

brandon
13-02-2010, 11:12 PM
No it doesn't.

Spiffing
13-02-2010, 11:14 PM
Start singing in the middle then call it a song.

Misawa
13-02-2010, 11:31 PM
It probably comes under something, but not copyright. Anyway, I'm sure it's only trivial, so just request that your voice be removed from said video.

dbgtz
13-02-2010, 11:31 PM
Audio is like a theme song or music, if voices were copyrighted half of TV would probably be sued.

Dan!
14-02-2010, 05:21 AM
Doesnt voice fall under the category of audio though?

i think it becomes a legal thing rather then a copyright issue.

Catzsy
14-02-2010, 09:36 AM
Are you singing? That might make a difference but it's not actual copyright but singers on recording have rights. They should have asked your permission to use it though. All people appearing in a video should give their consent to being used and sign a release form. I am surprised Misawa didn't know this given his profession. You would really have to tell us a bit more though. It is professional, youtube etc etc.

myke
14-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Are you singing? That might make a difference but it's not actual copyright but singers on recording have rights. They should have asked your permission to use it though. All people appearing in a video should give their consent to being used and sign a release form. I am surprised Misawa didn't know this given his profession. You would really have to tell us a bit more though. It is professional, youtube etc etc.

this is the internet. it's probably a xbox video, so there's not really something that would happen for say a 12-18 yr old... "hi putting video on youtube can i just send you this release form" and send it to the 40 PPs of a game? - paul is it a xbox video?? I think you can request it be removed, or your voice removed. That's probably about it, because although... going by the same laws of a photographer, it's courtesy to remove it but they might not have to because half the time you're being recorded and stuff anyway.

Not sure though so yeah, I'm just going on the same basis as photographer laws lol.. if you're in a public place, by law a photographer can photograph you as long as it's not harassing, and wouldn't have to ask, but the courteousness comes in if they ask.

IF YA GET ME (yn)

Catzsy
14-02-2010, 10:25 AM
this is the internet. it's probably a xbox video, so there's not really something that would happen for say a 12-18 yr old... "hi putting video on youtube can i just send you this release form" and send it to the 40 PPs of a game? - paul is it a xbox video?? I think you can request it be removed, or your voice removed. That's probably about it, because although... going by the same laws of a photographer, it's courtesy to remove it but they might not have to because half the time you're being recorded and stuff anyway.

Not sure though so yeah, I'm just going on the same basis as photographer laws lol.. if you're in a public place, by law a photographer can photograph you as long as it's not harassing, and wouldn't have to ask, but the courteousness comes in if they ask.

IF YA GET ME (yn)

Yes I do as long as Paul wasn't directly asked to take part in the video and he was just a member of the public. Otherwise the anybody taking a video of a a football crowd would have a complete nightmare.

lazerman
14-02-2010, 11:47 AM

IF YA GET ME (yn)

Child protection laws override this if your under 16 tho.

or is it 18? because your not classed as an adult till your 18?

myke
14-02-2010, 11:50 AM
Child protection laws override this if your under 16 tho.

or is it 18? because your not classed as an adult till your 18?

Override what? lol ...

lazerman
14-02-2010, 11:51 AM
if you're in a public place, by law a photographer can photograph you as long as it's not harassing, and wouldn't have to ask, but the courteousness comes in if they ask.

^^^^^^^^^

myke
14-02-2010, 11:55 AM
^^^^^^^^^

I don't think it does, I think when you're in a public place you must assume that nothing you are doing is confidential.

Lemme do some research

It is not illegal as such to photograph children in a public place, however in some circumstances it will almost certainly draw the attention of the police and may result in the photographer being investigated. In Scotland it may be treated as a breach of the peace. It is advisable to get at least verbal consent from the parents wherever possible.

http://www.sirimo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/ukphotographersrights-v2.pdf

lazerman
14-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Fair enough, just wondered

Thanks

Black_Apalachi
14-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Yeah in public places you have no case against being filmed/pictured (always see it on Road Wars when they kick off at the camera man lol :8) As for children, if it was being broadcast they would probably have to blur their faces out? I don't know really, might depend on the context.

Catzsy
14-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Yeah in public places you have no case against being filmed/pictured (always see it on Road Wars when they kick off at the camera man lol :8) As for children, if it was being broadcast they would probably have to blur their faces out? I don't know really, might depend on the context.

A child is defined by law as somebody under 13 years. After that they become a 'young person' in law.

PaulMacC
15-02-2010, 05:44 AM
Submitted a copyright complaint and it got removed ^_^

Black_Apalachi
15-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Was it on YouTube? I'd imagine they would acknowledge any complaint with a even the slightest amount of legitimacy. Congrats anyway :P

Adamm
15-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Anything that you produce and submit to an audience of sorts is covered under the Creative Commons Act, is it not?

Hiro
15-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Was it on YouTube? I'd imagine they would acknowledge any complaint with a even the slightest amount of legitimacy. Congrats anyway :P

If Paul is a partner they'd probably ensure it got removed.

Grig
16-02-2010, 01:36 PM
Well if it's just your voice and you don't have anything with a record company, because it is the record companies that copyright voices of singers, then I'm afraid you don't have a claim, unless your face is shown as well. Basically it's a tricky issue here because many people may be able to act out your voice and it's very difficult to prove.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!