PDA

View Full Version : Furious with Vodafone

Markeh
14-02-2010, 06:51 PM
I've got a TopUp and Go broadband stick, bought in May. I bought it because Top-ups lasted for longer than 30 days, which is ideal for me as I only use it when I'm on holiday or away from a wifi network/home. It isn't compatible with Windows 7, and the new ones that are have topups that only last 30 days. :l

Not happy, ringing Vodafone now.

Cixso
15-02-2010, 09:04 AM
What was the outcome?

Markeh
15-02-2010, 09:30 AM
Was given a link to download some updated software. Downloaded it, and it wouldnt install. We rang them, they told us it was a Windows problem (:@). It wasn't too much of a problem anyway, just used Compatibility Settings for XP SP2 and it installed fine. Won't connect to the network now, quoting RAS code 628 or something. :l. Tech Support (or distinct lack of) told me my stick worked with Windows 7, whereas Vodafone's own website says it doesnt.

I don't want the new sticks, because their top-ups only last 30 days, whereas the ones in my current stick do not expire, thats why I went with Vodafone in the first place (well, that and the fact we have 3 phone contracts with them). I use my stick when I go on holiday, or somewhere without internet for more than a day. I've used only about 300Mb since I bought it in May, and I simply refuse to buy £15/3Gb airtime that I will only use around 100Mb of per month, and in some months will not use at all.

Recursion
15-02-2010, 10:36 AM
Was given a link to download some updated software. Downloaded it, and it wouldnt install. We rang them, they told us it was a Windows problem (:@). It wasn't too much of a problem anyway, just used Compatibility Settings for XP SP2 and it installed fine. Won't connect to the network now, quoting RAS code 628 or something. :l. Tech Support (or distinct lack of) told me my stick worked with Windows 7, whereas Vodafone's own website says it doesnt.

I don't want the new sticks, because their top-ups only last 30 days, whereas the ones in my current stick do not expire, thats why I went with Vodafone in the first place (well, that and the fact we have 3 phone contracts with them). I use my stick when I go on holiday, or somewhere without internet for more than a day. I've used only about 300Mb since I bought it in May, and I simply refuse to buy £15/3Gb airtime that I will only use around 100Mb of per month, and in some months will not use at all.

The topup 30 day thing should be network side with Vodafone, your current USB dongle will probably be 30 days now too...

Markeh
15-02-2010, 07:06 PM
Rang them again to see if someone else knew more and could help me. After an hour, they've told me it's something blocking it from connecting, probably my anti-virus (avast). Yet I used the same anti-virus on Vista and it worked. I have no different security software from when I had Vista, when it worked. :l I'm distinctly unimpressed.

Recursion> I doubt it's network side. How do you explain people using tariffs that no longer exist?

Recursion
15-02-2010, 07:16 PM
Rang them again to see if someone else knew more and could help me. After an hour, they've told me it's something blocking it from connecting, probably my anti-virus (avast). Yet I used the same anti-virus on Vista and it worked. I have no different security software from when I had Vista, when it worked. :l I'm distinctly unimpressed.

Recursion> I doubt it's network side. How do you explain people using tariffs that no longer exist?

Because the tariffs DO exist in their system, they just don't sell them anymore.

Markeh
15-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Because the tariffs DO exist in their system, they just don't sell them anymore.

Well, in this instance, my settings would still exist then?

Recursion
15-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Well, in this instance, my settings would still exist then?

Something like top up times are probably network-wide, I'd check with Vodafone if I were you

Markeh
15-02-2010, 08:28 PM
I'm ringing them tomorrow to see if I can use my existing SIM (and therefore existing credit) in one of their new sticks, and I'll ask them that then

Do Vodafone (or any network) do a decent MiFi device on pay as you go? I'd be interested in oen of these, and I'd use it enough to warrant paying for 1Gb per month (as I can use it not only with my wi-fi enabled phone, but with my iPod, PSP, and other Wi-Fi devices too)

Flisker
17-02-2010, 11:34 AM
http://broadband.o2.co.uk/mobile/payandgo.jsp

Markeh
17-02-2010, 02:48 PM
http://broadband.o2.co.uk/mobile/payandgo.jsp

I won't use 500Mb in a day, thats the problem.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!