PDA

View Full Version : iPhone SIM is different?

Johno
15-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Hey,

I was looking to put my SIM card from my old 3 phone into my Orange iPhone but I have noticed that the SIM cards are different.

The 3 sim card has a larger contact than the Orange sim and I am wondering if this is perhaps an iPhone specific SIM or if it is simply a newer version of the SIM card?

Here is a picture for comparison:
http://grab.by/2qBv

dirrty
15-02-2010, 11:18 AM
as long as it's a bog standard sim card from the mobile operator then it should be fine. just make sure the phone is either unlocked or compatible with that network otherwise it won't work.

Jordy
15-02-2010, 11:45 AM
Yeah all sim cards will work with the iPhone, there's no such thing as a iPhone specific sim card. They do change them a bit on the outside (See Mini-SIM, a new type out soon), however I'm certain they're all exactly the same inside, they haven't changed since being conceived in the 80s.

Blinger1
15-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Yeah all sim cards will work with the iPhone, there's no such thing as a iPhone specific sim card. They do change them a bit on the outside (See Mini-SIM, a new type out soon), however I'm certain they're all exactly the same inside, they haven't changed since being conceived in the 80s.

The design hasn't changed but they have changed from being hard coded with a number to being able to change it digitally, or via a computer..

And when I got my iPhone 3 just put my old sim in it, nothing special ;)

Recursion
15-02-2010, 02:37 PM
SIM contacts like that can vary from network to network, they all work in whatever phones :P

Johno
15-02-2010, 03:30 PM
It's just when I put my old 3 SIM into my iPhone nothing happens and I should be able to copy my SIM contacts from what I am aware but it does nothing (e.g. like "Incorrect SIM" or whatever)

Ill have another go, its as if one of the connectors is very close to the edge of the SIM tray which I think is possibly the problem?

Jordy
15-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Wouldn't it do that if it was network locked?

dirrty
15-02-2010, 03:46 PM
It's just when I put my old 3 SIM into my iPhone nothing happens and I should be able to copy my SIM contacts from what I am aware but it does nothing (e.g. like "Incorrect SIM" or whatever)

Ill have another go, its as if one of the connectors is very close to the edge of the SIM tray which I think is possibly the problem?
you'll need to unlock the iphone then.

Johno
15-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Damn, I thought I could copy the contacts and stuff off the SIM without it being unlocked. Since I upgraded to 3.1.3 - Guess I will have to wait and hope now!

Thanks people :)

Recursion
15-02-2010, 06:39 PM
For all you jailbreakers, 3.1.3 update is the worst thing ever right now.

Johno
15-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Yeah, I just upgraded without thinking as I didn't really plan to jailbreak/unlock - but now I have outgrown my top-up texts, I would have liked to have went onto my contract sim. I just have to hope that something gets done :)

Robbie
15-02-2010, 10:08 PM
http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/unlockmyiphone.html

EDIT: Youre on Orange. FAIL SORRY :p

Johno
19-02-2010, 08:32 PM
http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/unlockmyiphone.html

EDIT: Youre on Orange. FAIL SORRY :p
Yeah I know :( Orange said it would be £20 to unlock the phone, bleh. Just gonna wait it out, not too big a deal really.

Thanks peeps :)

The Professor
21-02-2010, 02:59 PM
AFAIK the 3 network uses a different technology to the other networks so even if the sim card is the same shape the radio inside the phone won't be able to use the sim card because they're not compatable.

Andys
21-02-2010, 03:24 PM
For all you jailbreakers, 3.1.3 update is the worst thing ever right now.
As I found out, didn't I Tom :(

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!