PDA

View Full Version : Windows Phone 7

Jordy
15-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Finally it has been announced after all the delays. Microsoft have started from total scratch with it, so for once, don't write it off straight away for being Windows Mobile.

Main points
- Unique and customizable home screen and interface
- Social networking features built in
- Integrates with Xbox Live
- Only runs on powerful phones
- Multi-touch
- Has the Zune interface built-in exactly how it is on the Zune HD for music, videos and rentals :D

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/15/windows-phone-7-series-is-official-and-microsoft-is-playing-to

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8515915.stm

Carrier partnerships include; AT&T, Deutsche Telekom AG, Orange, SFR, Sprint, Telecom Italia, Telefónica, Telstra, T-Mobile USA, Verizon Wireless and Vodafone

Hardware partners include; Dell, Garmin-Asus, HTC, HP, LG, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, Toshiba and Qualcomm.

Released in November/December. Awesome.

Moved by Jamesy (Forum Super Moderator): From "Technology Discussion"

AgnesIO
15-02-2010, 05:35 PM
If it wasn't such a long wait I would think about getting the milestone. But since my contract will be almost 1 year old by then - no point waiting :P

HotelUser
15-02-2010, 09:07 PM
IMO the UI is really ugly.

---MAD---
16-02-2010, 12:07 AM
I have a zune hd and I must say the UI is very sleek, smooth and responsive so I presume this will be the case for these phones as well as long as the hardware manufacturers don't bloat it with their junk ;).

An excellent interview show casing the OS is on channel9.

Link: http://channel9.msdn.com/

HotelUser
16-02-2010, 12:44 PM
They'll probably improve the UI before it's released.

I really liked the Zunes interface too, it's a shame they're not keeping the 6.5 zune like mainscreen.

Jordy
17-02-2010, 02:22 AM
They'll probably improve the UI before it's released.

I really liked the Zune's interface too, it's a shame they're not keeping the 6.5 zune like mainscreen.I quite like it too (Although I opt to use the HTC interface over it) but I think they're trying to distance themselves from anything which Windows Mobile had done beforehand, regardless of whether it was good or not.

HotelUser
17-02-2010, 02:13 PM
I quite like it too (Although I opt to use the HTC interface over it) but I think they're trying to distance themselves from anything which Windows Mobile had done beforehand, regardless of whether it was good or not.

They just need a semi-appealing interface, a ton of free applications and a better browsing experience. Otherwise they're not going to be anything compared to android and iphoneos.

---MAD---
17-02-2010, 06:45 PM
They just need a semi-appealing interface, a ton of free applications and a better browsing experience. Otherwise they're not going to be anything compared to android and iphoneos.
They support tabs now when browsing in IE which the iphone doesn't have. Not sure about androids though. This is very useful for loading stuff whilst you read something on another site/page.

HotelUser
17-02-2010, 09:32 PM
They support tabs now when browsing in IE which the iphone doesn't have. Not sure about androids though. This is very useful for loading stuff whilst you read something on another site/page.

Android has pinch zoom, tabs, bookmarks, flash. Does the iPhone really not support tabbed browsing still?

GommeInc
19-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Have to agree about the UI, it's not that nice to look at :/ Square icons as seen aren't that appealing :P

EDIT: Apparently they're called Live Tiles.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!