PDA

View Full Version : Games Can Never Be Art

Fez
17-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Just finished posting this.

http://www.platformnation.com/2010/02/17/games-can-never-be-art/
(http://www.platformnation.com/2010/02/17/games-can-never-be-art/)

A culmination of a month's research and three days solid writing. I hope you enjoy/rage

Technologic
19-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Definition of art: the products of human creativity.

What is a game?

AlexOC
19-02-2010, 06:25 PM
Definition of art: the products of human creativity.

What is a game?

Ummm.. Is a game the product of human creativity?!?

Fez
19-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Depends what game. I don't think a game such as Rapelay was creatively enduring during its production, neither was Imagine Babyz or many other titles.

90% of games, in my opinion, are what I define as art (showing the human condition and exploring emotions/reactions) the last 10% is badly executed art or nil to no creative input.

The full games industry can never be art. But all developers have the capacity to be artists.

Inseriousity.
19-02-2010, 07:19 PM
All industries strive to make money, not art. I think a better question is: "Does art make money?" ;)

I'd say the more artistic games are normally the ones which get 'raved' about more. And good reviews can mean that people may buy the game more. Even though the consoles are older, I still prefer some of the PS1 games because they were just better at art, not graphic art, the storyline art. The art of telling a story is an incredible tool that should not be underestimated!

Btw if you said this in your article, sorry, I kinda gave up at the picture of 'Imagine Babies' or w/e it was called :P

dbgtz
19-02-2010, 07:33 PM
Ye I mean loads of games such at graphics but the story is so cool and well told, although I think it's hard to find a game which does both well (obviously the graphics will be different to each console). Uncharted 2 is probably the only game I've played to have good story "art" and graphics. I'd say MGS4 too but I didn't get it 100% until my 3rd go :P

Simmzay
19-02-2010, 08:30 PM
For me the problem is games that try to be art, or something beyond the realms of what a game should try to achieve. Something like MGS4 comes to mind here.

Technologic
19-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Ummm.. Is a game the product of human creativity?!?

Ding ding, we have a winrar.

Point es proovo.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!