PDA

View Full Version : Chrome OS & Tablet PC

--liger--
17-02-2010, 09:49 PM
Hey!

So we all know about Apple's sudden release of the iPad which is a complete waste of money. All it is, is a really big oversized iTouch with some other features in it. But what about the Tablet PC? I heard that Apple is suppose to come out with a PC that you can just walk around with and have a stylus on, kind of like the Adobe Photoshop tablet but you can see the image. I know Philips has a wireless desktop monitor but it can't hold the motherboard and what not in it. So basically think of an All-in-One PC but hand held and easier. What do you think?

Windows 7 anyone? Everyone loves Windows new release of Windows 7 and can't get enough of it's features. But Google is making an Operating System! Its called Chrome OS and operates with the look and feel of Google Chrome browser. It was made straight from scratch along with the features of Windows and Apple put together in one. It has a sleek look and apps but also can be used for gaming. Think of it as all those operating systems mixed together except for the business man. Google says it should be used by people who are always on the go using the internet. So will this beat Windows and Apple? Def not Apple but maybe Linux and Windows? What do you think?

Recursion
17-02-2010, 10:05 PM
ChromeOS is nothing like Windows or OS X and it can't game, period.

And what do you mean it won't beat Apple? Microsoft has already beaten Apple, if anything you should be asking wether it will beat Apple, not Microsoft

GommeInc
18-02-2010, 04:54 PM
ChromeOS is nothing like Windows or OS X and it can't game, period.

And what do you mean it won't beat Apple? Microsoft has already beaten Apple, if anything you should be asking wether it will beat Apple, not Microsoft
What SHE said :P Isn't Chrome OS in a league of its own?

AgnesIO
18-02-2010, 06:43 PM
What a ridiculous thread.

1) We talked about this AGES ago.
2) *REMOVED* Won't beat Apple but will be Windows? Huh? Last time I checked Windows over powers Apple in most parts.
3) Get your facts, before posting rubbish please.

P.S. Mod's I said *REMOVED* not you are. As that would be jumping to conclusions :8

Edited by Bolt660 (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not be rude to other forum members.

Recursion
18-02-2010, 07:19 PM

2) *REMOVED* Won't beat Apple but will be Windows? Huh? Last time I checked Windows over powers Apple in most parts.

P.S. Mod's I said *REMOVED*, not you are. As that would be jumping to conclusions :8

I love you sometimes. LOL

AgnesIO
18-02-2010, 07:23 PM
I love you sometimes. LOL

I was told by mod's that I am not allowd to attack users. However if I ask someone 'are you a ******* ******?' That is apparently ok - so I just add a reminder, that unless that rule is changed I am doing nothing wrong lol :P

Jordy
18-02-2010, 09:35 PM

P.S. Mod's I said *REMOVED*, not you are. As that would be jumping to conclusions :8Calm down, looks like the thing about trying to be nice to newer members has gone right past some people.

On topic, the thing about an all-in-one handheld computer is pretty much baseless, I've never heard of such a rumour. Meanwhile you seem a little confused about Chrome OS too, it's meant to compete with Netbook OS's (Linux for example) rather than the likes of Windows and Mac. Other than having a browser, not much else is known about it yet.

HotelUser
18-02-2010, 10:40 PM
Hey!

So we all know about Apple's sudden release of the iPad which is a complete waste of money. All it is, is a really big oversized iTouch with some other features in it. But what about the Tablet PC? I heard that Apple is suppose to come out with a PC that you can just walk around with and have a stylus on, kind of like the Adobe Photoshop tablet but you can see the image. I know Philips has a wireless desktop monitor but it can't hold the motherboard and what not in it. So basically think of an All-in-One PC but hand held and easier. What do you think?

Windows 7 anyone? Everyone loves Windows new release of Windows 7 and can't get enough of it's features. But Google is making an Operating System! Its called Chrome OS and operates with the look and feel of Google Chrome browser. It was made straight from scratch along with the features of Windows and Apple put together in one. It has a sleek look and apps but also can be used for gaming. Think of it as all those operating systems mixed together except for the business man. Google says it should be used by people who are always on the go using the internet. So will this beat Windows and Apple? Def not Apple but maybe Linux and Windows? What do you think?

Have you ever used one?

No.

therefore you cannot say that.

GommeInc
19-02-2010, 12:55 AM

P.S. Mod's I said *REMOVED* not you are. As that would be jumping to conclusions :8

Edited by Bolt660 (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not be rude to other forum members.
LOL at the clearly random edit done in spite :P

Have you ever used one?

No.

therefore you cannot say that.
To be honest, Apple haven't done a good job "selling" it. Jobs did a crap release note which was clearly under-researched and poorly delivered. The name was used in a joke/mock-up video of a woman with an electric tampon/sanitary towels by Apple (which was made sometime in 2007). So far it doesn't look good, which is a bad thing, especially when it seems to be advertised as a large iPod Touch with a special App Store (though Apple won't admit this, but when they talk about it they really are talking about it as if it were an iPod :P)

Hopefully it work out okay in some shape or form, but it will be sat on by the Windows 7 version of tablet PCs.

HotelUser
19-02-2010, 02:16 AM
LOL at the clearly random edit done in spite :P

To be honest, Apple haven't done a good job "selling" it. Jobs did a crap release note which was clearly under-researched and poorly delivered. The name was used in a joke/mock-up video of a woman with an electric tampon/sanitary towels by Apple (which was made sometime in 2007). So far it doesn't look good, which is a bad thing, especially when it seems to be advertised as a large iPod Touch with a special App Store (though Apple won't admit this, but when they talk about it they really are talking about it as if it were an iPod :P)

Hopefully it work out okay in some shape or form, but it will be sat on by the Windows 7 version of tablet PCs.

If you haven't used it, you can't say it's bad, it's like when the PC user hates on the Mac without ever having one himself.

Jordy
19-02-2010, 02:33 AM
If you haven't used it, you can't say it's bad, it's like when the PC user hates on the Mac without ever having one himself.I'm afraid that's nonsense. I've never been to Iraq but I can tell that's a bad place.

Looking at the features (or lack of them) in some areas makes it easy enough to come to that conclusion. A rather poor battery, terrible upscaling of iPod Touch games, no multi-tasking which is frankly ridiculous, no flash support, poor hard-drive space and nothing which hasn't been seen on the iPod Touch tbh.

Compare this to HPs new Windows 7 tablet, which satisfies most those areas, it makes it look, bad.

HotelUser
19-02-2010, 04:29 AM
I'm afraid that's nonsense. I've never been to Iraq but I can tell that's a bad place.

Looking at the features (or lack of them) in some areas makes it easy enough to come to that conclusion. A rather poor battery, terrible upscaling of iPod Touch games, no multi-tasking which is frankly ridiculous, no flash support, poor hard-drive space and nothing which hasn't been seen on the iPod Touch tbh.

Compare this to HPs new Windows 7 tablet, which satisfies most those areas, it makes it look, bad.

I'm pretty sure that comparing your iraq visiting desires to your ipad owing desires is just a little lot different.

I stand by what I said.

Recursion
19-02-2010, 08:58 AM
I'm pretty sure that comparing your iraq visiting desires to your ipad owing desires is just a little lot different.

I stand by what I said.

I'm sure Iraq is a lovely place then :rolleyes: ;)

AgnesIO
19-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Calm down, looks like the thing about trying to be nice to newer members has gone right past some people.

On topic, the thing about an all-in-one handheld computer is pretty much baseless, I've never heard of such a rumour. Meanwhile you seem a little confused about Chrome OS too, it's meant to compete with Netbook OS's (Linux for example) rather than the likes of Windows and Mac. Other than having a browser, not much else is known about it yet.

April 2008 is when he joined. Last time I checked that wasn't recently. Don't worry I did check for his join date |-)

HotelUser
19-02-2010, 02:14 PM
I'm sure Iraq is a lovely place then :rolleyes: ;)

":rolleyes:"

Jordy
19-02-2010, 02:22 PM
April 2008 is when he joined. Last time I checked that wasn't recently. Don't worry I did check for his join date |-)Fair point but he has a low number of posts so he's still kind of "new" to the community.

I stand by what I said.The point I was attempting to make is that you can judge something before you experience it.

I can tell Adolf Hitler was a bad man but I wasn't around in the 1940s.

GommeInc
19-02-2010, 04:33 PM
If you haven't used it, you can't say it's bad, it's like when the PC user hates on the Mac without ever having one himself.
Way to pointless post :rolleyes: I never said it was bad, I said the idiot known as Steve Jobs did a crap release note about it. My last sentence makes that pretty clear, that hopefully it'll not be as crap as it sounds, though it's kinda inevitable that the tablet PCs (that run a full OS, come with USB ports and so forth) will wipe the floor with the iPad, as far as the information on all items and products are concerned :/

HotelUser
19-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Way to pointless post :rolleyes: I never said it was bad, I said the idiot known as Steve Jobs did a crap release note about it. My last sentence makes that pretty clear, that hopefully it'll not be as crap as it sounds, though it's kinda inevitable that the tablet PCs (that run a full OS, come with USB ports and so forth) will wipe the floor with the iPad, as far as the information on all items and products are concerned :/

Those "real OSes" are filled with unfinger friendly applications, slow boot times and horrible standby times.

Fair point but he has a low number of posts so he's still kind of "new" to the community.

The point I was attempting to make is that you can judge something before you experience it.

Although your point is true, with operating systems and devices like this it couldn't be more wrong.

AgnesIO
19-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Fair point but he has a low number of posts so he's still kind of "new" to the community.

The point I was attempting to make is that you can judge something before you experience it.

I tend to get flamed for using post counts as a guide :D

GommeInc
20-02-2010, 12:06 AM
Those "real OSes" are filled with unfinger friendly applications, slow boot times and horrible standby times.

Although your point is true, with operating systems and devices like this it couldn't be more wrong.
Rather have something that has a proper OS and doesn't need to rely on a PC :/ The iPad is virtually useless in a business context, you have to take it back to the office and hook it up to a computer. It would be a wiser idea to just have it wirelessly print to a printer installed on the device or give it proper USB ports so things can be hooked up to it (not the mini-USB, the full fat USBs). Besides, who's to say the Windows versions will be slow and finger unfriendly? There will probably be some slight modifications to the operation systems, and I believe this maybe the plan anyway.

And your last point is so invalid and opinionated, but I won't fall for one of your traps ;) It's just a large iPod Touch, with a lousy name that shouldn't of been used and a terrible concept - it's main selling point is the Bookstore by the looks of things :P Wherever it is mentioned, the Book App is mentioned.

HotelUser
20-02-2010, 01:14 AM
Rather have something that has a proper OS and doesn't need to rely on a PC :/ The iPad is virtually useless in a business context, you have to take it back to the office and hook it up to a computer. It would be a wiser idea to just have it wirelessly print to a printer installed on the device or give it proper USB ports so things can be hooked up to it (not the mini-USB, the full fat USBs). Besides, who's to say the Windows versions will be slow and finger unfriendly? There will probably be some slight modifications to the operation systems, and I believe this maybe the plan anyway.

And your last point is so invalid and opinionated, but I won't fall for one of your traps ;) It's just a large iPod Touch, with a lousy name that shouldn't of been used and a terrible concept - it's main selling point is the Bookstore by the looks of things :P Wherever it is mentioned, the Book App is mentioned.

I'm still standing by what I said. I refuse to accept your opinion as valid because you have not used one for a sufficient amount of time in order to give it a proper evaluation.

Jordy
20-02-2010, 01:25 AM
I'm still standing by what I said. I refuse to accept your opinion as valid because you have not used one for a sufficient amount of time in order to give it a proper evaluation.GommeInc is basing his knowledge on firm facts though. It is a fact it can't print and doesn't have USB Ports. It is a fact it requires a PC/Mac to function. He hasn't stated things such as "it is slow to use" or the interface is bad to handle, those are the sort of things which depend on actually using it first.

However it is you who has made assumptions on things which would require the actual usage of one.

Those "real OSes" are filled with unfinger friendly applications, slow boot times and horrible standby times.There is infact a growing number of finger friendly applications for Windows, look at HPs Touchsmart and Sony's touch screen PCs for example. Slow boot times are dependant on the hardware, Windows can do it very quickly so it is just a guess by yourself. To know this, you would actually need to use one of these new Windows 7 tablets.

Jordan,
20-02-2010, 01:26 AM
Ive got a very early version of chrome os and to tell you the truth its not that good tbh at current I wouldn't use for a main OS.

HotelUser
20-02-2010, 01:41 AM
GommeInc is basing his knowledge on firm facts though. It is a fact it can't print and doesn't have USB Ports. It is a fact it requires a PC/Mac to function. He hasn't stated things such as "it is slow to use" or the interface is bad to handle, those are the sort of things which depend on actually using it first.

However it is you who has made assumptions on things which would require the actual usage of one.
There is infact a growing number of finger friendly applications for Windows, look at HPs Touchsmart and Sony's touch screen PCs for example. Slow boot times are dependant on the hardware, Windows can do it very quickly so it is just a guess by yourself. To know this, you would actually need to use one of these new Windows 7 tablets.

Of course Microsoft can pull through if they try. And I can assume we can expect Windows tablets with the features I said Windows are lacking in a previous post.

He is using firm facts, but I could say Macs are expensive and don't play games or Windows is bloated and has poor application management so I wont use it. It's just, there's a lot of other factors why I would buy a Mac or use Windows. Since the iPad isn't out we don't know all of the facts, how well it really will preform, how many applications will be available in 8 months, additional hardware support. Therefore blatantly stating that the entire thing is completely crap, without using it is, infact, ignorant.

GommeInc
20-02-2010, 02:30 AM
Of course Microsoft can pull through if they try. And I can assume we can expect Windows tablets with the features I said Windows are lacking in a previous post.

He is using firm facts, but I could say Macs are expensive and don't play games or Windows is bloated and has poor application management so I wont use it. It's just, there's a lot of other factors why I would buy a Mac or use Windows. Since the iPad isn't out we don't know all of the facts, how well it really will preform, how many applications will be available in 8 months, additional hardware support. Therefore blatantly stating that the entire thing is completely crap, without using it is, infact, ignorant.
Glad you agree ;) It's just a shame you followed that statement with some odd rant about Macs being expensive (opinion) and unable to play alot of games (fact) and that Windows is bloated (opinion) and poor application management (opinion). So not sure why you did that, you agreed I used fact then tried to outwit by posting "facts" (assuming that's what you meant when you typed "He is using firm facts, but...")

The facts are showing it how well it will perform ;) Analysis? Poorly. The only thing it will perform well by (going by what has been released) is that it will work fast with Apps, which isn't that amazing seeing as the iPhone and iPod Touch seem to work quite well with Apps already.

The fact is, it's dependent on other devices (unlike NetBooks, which Jobs ignorantly compared the iPod Touch XL with) to properly function... no doubt piggy backing iTunes to do all the work.

It lacks full USB functionality (so you can't upload/transfer files and documents to it with ease), lacks proper wireless functionality (cannot print documents, photos etc), lacks naturally any proper bluetooth (blame Apple), no doubt lacks multi-tasking capabilities for the foreseeable(sp?) future so it's virtually useless as a standalone device and in now way "bridges the gap" between iPod Touch and MacBook (as mentioned by the buffoon known as Steve Jobs).

I can't believe Jobs bothered comparing NetBooks with the silly thing, when a NetBook can do more for less - infact, the Touch XL will probably have to rely on a NetBook to get it going :/ I can see Apple doing some dumb advertisement scheme to show connectivity at its worse. "Get your friends to buy an iPad and share the fun by bumping each other." It wouldn't surprise me at all!

These are facts and properly executed analysis on the device :/ It's not the consumers fault if Apple have released very poor information, which seems to cover most of the functionality in the device. And it's certainly not the consumers fault if Apple announced in such a poor researched and poorly constructed way.

HotelUser
20-02-2010, 03:26 AM
Glad you agree ;) It's just a shame you followed that statement with some odd rant about Macs being expensive (opinion) and unable to play alot of games (fact) and that Windows is bloated (opinion) and poor application management (opinion). So not sure why you did that, you agreed I used fact then tried to outwit by posting "facts" (assuming that's what you meant when you typed "He is using firm facts, but...")

The facts are showing it how well it will perform ;) Analysis? Poorly. The only thing it will perform well by (going by what has been released) is that it will work fast with Apps, which isn't that amazing seeing as the iPhone and iPod Touch seem to work quite well with Apps already.

The fact is, it's dependent on other devices (unlike NetBooks, which Jobs ignorantly compared the iPod Touch XL with) to properly function... no doubt piggy backing iTunes to do all the work.

It lacks full USB functionality (so you can't upload/transfer files and documents to it with ease), lacks proper wireless functionality (cannot print documents, photos etc), lacks naturally any proper bluetooth (blame Apple), no doubt lacks multi-tasking capabilities for the foreseeable(sp?) future so it's virtually useless as a standalone device and in now way "bridges the gap" between iPod Touch and MacBook (as mentioned by the buffoon known as Steve Jobs).

I can't believe Jobs bothered comparing NetBooks with the silly thing, when a NetBook can do more for less - infact, the Touch XL will probably have to rely on a NetBook to get it going :/ I can see Apple doing some dumb advertisement scheme to show connectivity at its worse. "Get your friends to buy an iPad and share the fun by bumping each other." It wouldn't surprise me at all!

These are facts and properly executed analysis on the device :/ It's not the consumers fault if Apple have released very poor information, which seems to cover most of the functionality in the device. And it's certainly not the consumers fault if Apple announced in such a poor researched and poorly constructed way.

And if this thing is the new iPhone in two years who will be laughing (H)

AgnesIO
20-02-2010, 10:04 AM
And if this thing is the new iPhone in two years who will be laughing (H)

What another overpriced iPod touch? ;)

Jordy
20-02-2010, 01:16 PM
And if this thing is the new iPhone in two years who will be laughing (H)Me, because my iPod Touch can do all of that and it costs less :P

HotelUser
20-02-2010, 02:20 PM
What another overpriced iPod touch? ;)

Even in a few years when these things (and from other companies too) mature, and applications become more available, the hardware improves, the only thing you're going to need a desktop for is gaming. Tablets with lightweight operating systems will most likely wirelessly connect to all your peripherals (including monitors) and you'll use them just like you used your desktop, anyway.

xxMATTGxx
20-02-2010, 03:25 PM
Even in a few years when these things (and from other companies too) mature, and applications become more available, the hardware improves, the only thing you're going to need a desktop for is gaming. Tablets with lightweight operating systems will most likely wirelessly connect to all your peripherals (including monitors) and you'll use them just like you used your desktop, anyway.

I don't think so, there is more then gaming.

Recursion
20-02-2010, 04:27 PM
About the gaming thing:

What do you think movie producers, sound editors, gamers, graphic artists, designers, video encoders, people who need to render in 3D all use? That's right, desktops.

HotelUser
20-02-2010, 05:03 PM
About the gaming thing:

What do you think movie producers, sound editors, gamers, graphic artists, designers, video encoders, people who need to render in 3D all use? That's right, desktops.

I don't think so, there is more then gaming.

You're going to be able to use the tablet of the future with external displays. How isn't it obvious. Once single device you can take with you wherever you are and use to accomplish everything. A lot of people just see this as a computer in a different form factor only worse because of the operating system limitations. They don't get it.

AgnesIO
20-02-2010, 05:09 PM
You're going to be able to use the tablet of the future with external displays. How isn't it obvious. Once single device you can take with you wherever you are and use to accomplish everything. A lot of people just see this as a computer in a different form factor only worse because of the operating system limitations. They don't get it.

Yeh but for now theyjust don't cut it.

When computers were first made people dn't go arund going on about 'THEY CAN DO EVERYTHIGN INNIT'

HotelUser
20-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Yeh but for now theyjust don't cut it.

When computers were first made people dn't go arund going on about 'THEY CAN DO EVERYTHIGN INNIT'

Hence why I said in the future. This is just the beginning.

--liger--
20-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Guess I never thought of it that way. Great point HotelUser honestly. But going to the iPhone post someone put, they are about to come out with the iPhone 4g. Suppose have better operating systsem in it?? Idk haven't read to much on it

AgnesIO
20-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Hence why I said in the future. This is just the beginning.

We could have saidin 2004.. We all knew at some point tablet pc's would come.

GommeInc
20-02-2010, 06:26 PM
We could have saidin 2004.. We all knew at some point tablet pc's would come.
Indeed, it's also rather interesting that the first true tablet PCs are being made with Windows, as there is no way the iPad can be classed as one as it isn't a computer, it's just a (debateable) handheld device :P

HotelUser
20-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Indeed, it's also rather interesting that the first true tablet PCs are being made with Windows, as there is no way the iPad can be classed as one as it isn't a computer, it's just a (debateable) handheld device :P

I'm going to hold off as to a detailed classification of the device because I haven't used it. If I find the screen keyboard reasonably easy to maneuver on, and assuming there's fairly good applications (there's already third party multitask) then I'll probably sway towards thinking of it as a computer, as opposed to a handheld device. The apparent goal here for tablets like this is to make a handheld device that feels like a computer. If the iPad cannot satisfy me then I'll buy the Android or Windows alternative.

GommeInc
20-02-2010, 08:16 PM
I'm going to hold off as to a detailed classification of the device because I haven't used it. If I find the screen keyboard reasonably easy to maneuver on, and assuming there's fairly good applications (there's already third party multitask) then I'll probably sway towards thinking of it as a computer, as opposed to a handheld device. The apparent goal here for tablets like this is to make a handheld device that feels like a computer. If the iPad cannot satisfy me then I'll buy the Android or Windows alternative.
The already released information is pretty precise and doesn't appear to give much room for speculation or new information. Besides, it is just a handheld device made to be a handheld device, it has no qualities of a computer and obviously will not feel like one (it's a tablet, they're very different). If it were to feel like a computer, why is it using the iPhone/iPod Touch OS? It's not even tweaked to a major degree, the only tweaks appear to be with resizing Apps from the App Store, and special Apps... That's not a computer to me, that just screams iPod Touch XL, like the Nintendo DSi now comes in XL form :P

There'll probably be Apps to make it work similar to a computer, but at the end of the day it cannot stand on its own invisible feet and will rely on computers to push it along, unlike NetBooks which Jobs criticized so badly :P

Jordy
20-02-2010, 10:12 PM
There's rumours about an iPad Nano. Oh wait that's already been released, the iPod Touch.

ElliottThompson
21-02-2010, 03:42 AM
ya'll be trippin brah

and not even say that i'm diverting the subject, I think the guy who started talking about iraq did that 4 pages back :sparkle:

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!