PDA

View Full Version : Next COD to be... Cold War?

Fez
19-02-2010, 04:54 PM
http://www.vg247.com/2010/02/19/rumour-call-of-duty-casting-call-mentions-sog-in-vietnam-details-characters/comment-page-1/

An LA casting call for Call of Duty-related “voice over/motion capture” for an Activision “video game” has described character Frank Barnes as being part of an elite Vietnam unit, the Military Assistance Command, Vietnam – Studies and Observations Group.SOG was responsible for covert operations in Vietnam, and was active from 1964-1972.The news appears to confirm the game for a Vietnam setting. This follows heavy tips that Treyarch’s next Call of Duty game, slated to release towards the end of this year, would take place during the Vietnam War.The call is for motion capture and VO work for what looks like four major characters from the game, namely Barnes, “a fiercely patriotic veteran of WW2… A solid leader, possessed with an excellent ability to assess and respond to any situation quickly and decisively”; Joseph Lewis, a “very physically fit” black man in his 20s; Jason Hudson, a white man in his 30s with “over 15 years of military experience, making him an excellent tactician and mission co-coordinator”; and Kristina Ivanova. a Russian-born martial arts expert and CIA operative who’s “calm to the point of being cold and detached”.The details come from a US casting site. Hit the image below for everything on the listed characters.Activision has yet to say anything about the Treyarch title other than it’s coming this year and it’s not expected to be bigger than Modern Warfare 2.The game’s setting, plot and characters have yet to be confirmed. We’ve asked Activision for comment.

YEAH GOOD LUCK WITH THIS.

Black_Apalachi
19-02-2010, 04:59 PM
I still don't understand all this cold war gibberish. How I see it is; if it is COD then it has people shooting each other. If it has people shooting each other it's not a cold war?

Neil
19-02-2010, 05:04 PM
I'm sure there was conflict during the cold war, just most of it was just the threat of nuclear war, it's the "cold war" because the war ended when it was decided if conflict continued warheads would be inevitable and wouldn't end well for any of the planet let alone the countries involved, cold war as a shooter could work but I can't imagine it would be that interesting because few people are really aware of what happened, while Vietnam was very well known for many reasons.

Jord
19-02-2010, 05:04 PM
I suppose the story mode will be sneaking around then? Who would buy that, I buy cod for the kiss ass gameplay and shooting weapons not hiding in the shadows

Neil
19-02-2010, 05:09 PM
It would be a lot like The Sabotuer I would imagine, there was no major conflicts but there was more than politics.

kk.
19-02-2010, 05:16 PM
I suppose the story mode will be sneaking around then? Who would buy that, I buy cod for the kiss ass gameplay and shooting weapons not hiding in the shadows
people who like espionage, maybe? pretty much anyone who liked mgs4

AlexOC
19-02-2010, 05:35 PM
I love stealth, i love sneaking around being ninja and cold blooded popping ass with my silenced heartbeat sensored sniper and machine pistol.

So yeh i would love a stealth, sabotage game..

Fez
19-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Vietnam was related to the Cold War, I imagine we'll be going there.

dbgtz
19-02-2010, 05:48 PM
I just want one that doesn't have a crap online p2p.

Misawa
19-02-2010, 06:04 PM
The Cold War was named the Cold War because there was NO warfare. Hence, COLD war. It was between Russia and the US. Vietnam is irrelevant to the Cold War.

AlexOC
19-02-2010, 06:10 PM
The Cold War was named the Cold War because there was NO warfare. Hence, COLD war. It was between Russia and the US. Vietnam is irrelevant to the Cold War.

So what we all just run around engaging in political discussions?

Neil
19-02-2010, 06:38 PM
The Vietnam War was part of the Cold War, although it seems unrelated I think the Americans winning Vietnam was to assist them in the Cold War itself, I don't know, but I would assume due to the constant guerilla tactics used by the Chinese and Viet Cong during the war the Americans "fell back" so to speak.

It'll be a dirty game again like WaW no doubt, very little of the somehow clean dusty maps and instead a lot of trees, rivers and hills, if it's as twisted as it should be the game will be pretty sweet.

Fez
19-02-2010, 07:16 PM
I'm pretty sure Russia supported the communist Viet Cong and sent some troops there.

Maybe either side was trying to prove their worth?

Neil
19-02-2010, 07:43 PM
I'm pretty sure Russia supported the communist Viet Cong and sent some troops there.

Maybe either side was trying to prove their worth?

The Soviet Union was only shipping supplies to North Vietnam, I guess in aid against the Americans who were sided with South Vietnam, they also shot at the B-52 bombers and they had troops stationed in Vietnam, but that's about it I believe.

Jordy
19-02-2010, 07:59 PM
The Cold War was named the Cold War because there was NO warfare. Hence, COLD war. It was between Russia and the US. Vietnam is irrelevant to the Cold War.This. The Cold War is just spying and politics so it would make a crap game. I'm bored of people throwing the name "Cold War" around.

Call of Duty 4 & Modern Warfare 2 are deeply routed in the Cold War, especially the mission where you assassinate the guy from some tower blocks near Chernobyl (Ghillies in the mist I think).

Proxy Wars are the terms you are looking for, it's basically where two sides indirectly fight each other. For example in Vietnam, the US fought in it but they were fighting North Vietnam which was backed by the Soviet Union & China. The Korean war is a similar conflict to Vietnam, in that the US fought the Soviet backed North Koreans. Another example is the War in Afghanistan in the 1980s where the Soviet Union was attempting to take control of the country, however the US backed the likes of the Taliban during this war, but didn't actually fight.

A significant part of the Cold War was also the Cuban missile crisis (Easily the closest we've been to Nuclear War). This was mostly just spying and then a stand-off between the US & Soviet Union. I suspect that call of duty will tamper with history here and probably create a conflict.

So it'll either be the Vietnam War, or some made up Cuban War, or both.

dbgtz
20-02-2010, 09:46 PM
I wouldn't mind a "what-if" scenario personally.

Ardemax
20-02-2010, 09:55 PM
yeah we sorta knew it would be vietnam

ItsDave
20-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Most reports of this new game are for Vietnam. Cold War wasn't a war, just a conflict of words, how many times. It was bitter arguement. It was called a cold war because it was heated discussion about war than never started so it got cold, hence COLD BLOODY WAR.

Neil
21-02-2010, 05:30 PM
Most reports of this new game are for Vietnam. Cold War wasn't a war, just a conflict of words, how many times. It was bitter arguement. It was called a cold war because it was heated discussion about war than never started so it got cold, hence COLD BLOODY WAR.

The cold war lasted nearly 50 years, although there was no full scale war there was conflict, it was called a cold war because there was no massive attacks during it but that isn't to say there was no fighting at all, of course there was fighting.

adzzzz8
27-02-2010, 07:54 PM
the only thing i know about the new cod is that its by the same people that did cod5. :P what's activsion i think but this cold war thing idk about i hope its somin more fun like ww1 or somin but cold war is just silly but the only bad thing is i can c it being the cold war! :S

jordan:j
27-02-2010, 07:58 PM
I find this funny because there wasnt a single bullet shot in the cold war, and cod is all about gun fire. If they do make this game it will be rather interesting on how it is based/the story line.

dbgtz
27-02-2010, 08:00 PM
I wonder if they talk about the napalm bomb, I assuming they will.

Jahova
28-02-2010, 08:22 AM
I laughed at the title. We learnt in History that the Cold War had no fighting. Let's just think, the Campagin would be you staring at some Russians and then eventually signing a treaty. Ooh!

Neil
28-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Ugh..

Vietnam War was a Cold War military conflict.

Vietnam War lasted from 26th September 1959 to 30th April 1975

Cold War started immediately after World War II ended in 1945, it lasted almost 50 years when it ended in 1991.

Vietnam War included the aid the the Americans and the Soviet Union.

CONFLICT HAPPENED.

/end "cold war wasn't a war" now?

Jahova
28-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Why was it called the Cold War if there was fighting?

Neil
28-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Why was it called the Cold War if there was fighting?

Because it the dispute was between Russia and America, they still had conflict just no major battles like during World War 1 and 2, but it didn't mean there was absolutely no conflict at all, that would be just plain stupid to think.

rifleboyaka
01-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Seems like an alright game

Geraint
01-03-2010, 09:50 PM
who gives a **** if it's real or not. it's a game. it may well be based on the cold war and the areas but it'll have shooting in it.

ItsDave
01-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Ugh..

Vietnam War was a Cold War military conflict.

Vietnam War lasted from 26th September 1959 to 30th April 1975

Cold War started immediately after World War II ended in 1945, it lasted almost 50 years when it ended in 1991.

Vietnam War included the aid the the Americans and the Soviet Union.

CONFLICT HAPPENED.

/end "cold war wasn't a war" now?

No I'm sorry. I got taught very differently to you it seems. It wasn't a war. It was all arguements and placing patrols in areas to make Governments un-easy. The Americans placed some patrols in Vietnam because they were scared of Communism and so sent troops there to change minds, they attacked, US retaliated. Thats the only thing that escilated as far as I can remember. But the Vietnam war was like... just something gone wrong, it wasn't needed. It accidently became a war but in a nutshell, you cannot have a game about THE Cold War, because that, The Cold War, wasn't a war.

Jordy
01-03-2010, 10:58 PM
Why was it called the Cold War if there was fighting?There wasn't any fighting. Cold Wars refers to the United States and the Soviet Union who never engaged each other throughout the Cold War (This includes proxy wars). The fighting which did go on, did indirectly or directly involve either of the Cold War sides, however these are separate proxy wars.

The bottom line is, the US and Soviet Union did not fight each other directly so it is a cold war as nothing happened between them.

Neil
02-03-2010, 02:50 AM
No I'm sorry. I got taught very differently to you it seems. It wasn't a war. It was all arguements and placing patrols in areas to make Governments un-easy. The Americans placed some patrols in Vietnam because they were scared of Communism and so sent troops there to change minds, they attacked, US retaliated. Thats the only thing that escilated as far as I can remember. But the Vietnam war was like... just something gone wrong, it wasn't needed. It accidently became a war but in a nutshell, you cannot have a game about THE Cold War, because that, The Cold War, wasn't a war.

I wasn't saying it would be a game about the cold war itself, was just getting sick of people all posting "the cold war wasn't a war!!" one after the other, I'm pretty sure we've already had some sort of confirmation it's going to be Vietnam and the only relation the first post has to the cold war at all is Vietnam, it's obviously going to be set in vietnam, unless they go backwards from WWII they haven't got much choice, unless they're stupid and make a modern game or futuristic game.

ItsDave
02-03-2010, 09:20 AM
unless they go backwards from WWII they haven't got much choice, unless they're stupid and make a modern game or futuristic game.

I have heard that Infinity Ward's next game is going to be futuristic as the MW series is running thin. I think a friend of muine told me but I wouldn't trust him with information, but if they do thats kinda weak as Ghost Recon Future Soldier's out later this year. But yeah, definatley Vietnam this one.

Neil
02-03-2010, 11:28 AM
I have heard that Infinity Ward's next game is going to be futuristic as the MW series is running thin. I think a friend of muine told me but I wouldn't trust him with information, but if they do thats kinda weak as Ghost Recon Future Soldier's out later this year. But yeah, definatley Vietnam this one.

I don't really care what Infinity Ward do with their half of the game really, as long as Treyarch keep the game where it belongs it's all good.

Kronics
02-03-2010, 03:55 PM
I cant wait for another COD to come out, once I get a PS3 that is!

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!