PDA

View Full Version : Schools in breach of 'Human Rights' with skirts as dress code

-:Undertaker:-
21-02-2010, 04:33 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1252674/Watchdog-warms-schools-force-girls-wear-skirts-discriminates-transsexuals.html

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/02/21/article-1252674-0018505200000258-369_468x286.jpg

For generations, the skirt has been an integral part of a girl's school uniform. But the Government's human rights watchdog says schools who force girls to wear skirts may be breaking the law because the policy discriminates against transsexuals. Official guidance from the Equality and Human Rights Commission warns schools that the dress code may breach the rights of girls who feel compelled to live as boys. In a 68-page report on the human rights of transsexuals, the watchdog says that 'requiring pupils to wear gender-specific clothes is potentially unlawful'. It says that research conducted for its report found that 'pupils born female with gender dysphoria experienced great discomfort being forced to wear stereotypical girls’ clothes — for example a skirt'. Many schools across the country insist on girls wearing skirts as part of a strict uniform code which they believe maintains good levels of discipline among their pupils.

And although the Commission has threatened to use 'costly legal action' on schools who fail to comply, many are expected to maintain their rule on skirt wearing. Elspeth Insch, head teacher of King Edward VI Handsworth school in Birmingham, said: 'The message is: not in my school. We’re sticking with our skirts.' The guidance has been produced ahead of the Government’s Equality Bill which is likely to come into force this autumn. The bill, masterminded by Harriet Harman, the Labour deputy leader, makes it a legal requirement for public authorities, including schools, to consider the impact on minority groups of all their policies — including how school uniforms might affect transsexual people. They must do all they can to ensure transsexual children do not suffer discrimination, or face potential legal sanctions. The bill extends new rights to people who believe they were born into the wrong gender.While criminals are out early because our government failed to build new prisons and the country is borrowing and borrowing to fund things it cannot afford; Harriet Harman, the Labour Party and the rest of the PC gang continue to make very important laws and regulations such as this one. Its just getting beyond stupid now - can these equality people not just go and find real jobs?

Thoughts?

Alkaz
21-02-2010, 04:37 PM
It makes me laugh, I go to an all grils school and their uniform is for the girls to wear skirts, if someone was a transexual or anything like that then they simply wouldn't go to the school where skirts inforced and not trousers. It is such a joke, makes me laugh so much.

Geraint
21-02-2010, 04:39 PM
It makes me laugh, I go to an all grils school and their uniform is for the girls to wear skirts, if someone was a transexual or anything like that then they simply wouldn't go to the school where skirts inforced and not trousers. It is such a joke, makes me laugh so much.

are you some sort of sick pervert?

Edited by Syko2006 (Forum Moderator): Please do not post inappropriately.

AlexOC
21-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Thats pathetic haha!

hah
21-02-2010, 05:27 PM

why do you go to an all girls school if you're male :S

luce
21-02-2010, 05:34 PM
what the hell joe? You're a guy aren't you weirdooooo

And yeah i go to a mixed grammar school and we had a vote a couple years ago to see if we wanted to have trousers made optional and we voted no because it looks like we're dykes It's just how it's meant to be especially with shirt and tie and blazer like we have.

HotelUser
21-02-2010, 06:52 PM
I'm so glad there's no school uniforms here, or no actual dress code enforced either. To be honest I don't even get the point of having a dress code. If a dress code is going to be enforced though, why not have several clothing styles to choose from, and not make them gender based, so then nobody could complain?

And yeah i go to a mixed grammar school and we had a vote a couple years ago to see if we wanted to have trousers made optional and we voted no because it looks like we're dykes It's just how it's meant to be especially with shirt and tie and blazer like we have.

How the hell does wearing pants make you look like a "dyke" :O

Alkaz
21-02-2010, 07:00 PM
are you some sort of sick pervert?

why do you go to an all girls school if you're male :S
Nice pointless posts there.

I dont know if its like it in all of the UK but in the south east, as 6th form/college isn't compulsary they dont all teach the same subjects at A level and my old secondary school was pretty small so didnt have a 6th form. I do design, art and business. I looked at all the schools in my area and the school I go to now is an all girls school but has a mixed 6th form so as that was the best school - thats where I went. Click here (http://www.northfleetgirls.kent.sch.uk/OurSchool/sixthform.html) to see the schools website and 6th form page and it says its mixed.

Anyway Dave, we have a uniform to stop bullying in schools. If someone wears an outfit worth £500 and someone wears an outfit worth £15 then there will be bullying because people will say ''cant you afford anything better'' etc etc. A uniform stops that as everything is the same and prepares you for life after school where in almost all jobs you have a uniform.

hah
21-02-2010, 07:08 PM
our posts where the exact same as luccys and you called them pointless? lolk

anyways yeah... girls schools here have to wear skirts unless the school is mixed

i think they should be made wear skirts

Recursion
21-02-2010, 07:13 PM
I'm so glad there's no school uniforms here, or no actual dress code enforced either. To be honest I don't even get the point of having a dress code. If a dress code is going to be enforced though, why not have several clothing styles to choose from, and not make them gender based, so then nobody could complain?

It is gender based, and the idea of a school uniform is to look smart and be able to be distinguished easily, this is why in sixth form we don't have to wear uniform, 16+ ftw! Once your 16 the school cant punish you or anything ;D

They could have used a better picture in that article though.

lazerman
21-02-2010, 07:15 PM
I wouldnt like my daughter ina skirt, only because i think it leads to stupidness and slaggyness

HotelUser
21-02-2010, 07:20 PM
It is gender based, and the idea of a school uniform is to look smart and be able to be distinguished easily, this is why in sixth form we don't have to wear uniform, 16+ ftw! Once your 16 the school cant punish you or anything ;D

They could have used a better picture in that article though.

In the real world we dress with what we can afford. There is no all mighty god to tell us what to wear to look professional and fair.

Recursion
21-02-2010, 07:25 PM
In the real world we dress with what we can afford. There is no all mighty god to tell us what to wear to look professional and fair.

This is also a reason for school uniform.

HotelUser
21-02-2010, 07:31 PM
This is also a reason for school uniform.

Oh, the uniforms are much cheaper than all other clothing?

Jahova
21-02-2010, 07:31 PM
Joke really. Human rights my rear.

Browney
21-02-2010, 07:34 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1252674/Watchdog-warms-schools-force-girls-wear-skirts-discriminates-transsexuals.html

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/02/21/article-1252674-0018505200000258-369_468x286.jpg

While criminals are out early because our government failed to build new prisons and the country is borrowing and borrowing to fund things it cannot afford; Harriet Harman, the Labour Party and the rest of the PC gang continue to make very important laws and regulations such as this one. Its just getting beyond stupid now - can these equality people not just go and find real jobs?

Thoughts?

So which one is he/she?

At my school everyone wears trousers, it's not very flattering for the girls who don't wanna be boys though.

Cheryl
21-02-2010, 07:56 PM
this (http://www.habboxforum.com/www.kings.peterborough.sch.uk) is what we have to wear
girls wear blouse and skirt (with blazer)
boys wear shirt and trousers (with blazer and tie)
very traditional and hasn't changed literally since it was formed in 1541 (by Henry VIII) as the cathedral school for choristers as we still do today :)

Niall!
21-02-2010, 08:10 PM
It's really to try and stop pedos from becoming teachers.

Cheryl
21-02-2010, 08:24 PM
lol ^^^
we have a well bad one in maths :P

DrLacero
22-02-2010, 11:30 PM
So which one is he/she?

I'd guess 2nd from the right, look how open his/her legs are. Must be some colossal balls there.

I'm getting more and more sick of this PC nanny state every day.

Black_Apalachi
23-02-2010, 03:26 AM
I'm sure my school allowed the choice. Bit pervy making them wear skirts.

xxMATTGxx
23-02-2010, 06:14 AM
Oh, the uniforms are much cheaper than all other clothing?

Normally and uniforms are there to lower any bullying regarding on what people wear, they can't really do it when your all wearing the same stuff pretty much. Also uniforms is just like a uniform in a workplace, there is a reason for it. ;)

I think they should have a choice whether to wear a skirt or not tbh.

ihatehash
23-02-2010, 09:48 AM
most girls at my school wears skirts but they can wear shorts if they wish/

Catzsy
23-02-2010, 09:56 AM
This is a pretty simple issue. Nobody is trying to stop girls wearing skirts. They are just saying they should have the choice of wearing trousers which has been in place in the vast majority of schools for years. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

-:Undertaker:-
23-02-2010, 07:00 PM
This is a pretty simple issue. Nobody is trying to stop girls wearing skirts. They are just saying they should have the choice of wearing trousers which has been in place in the vast majority of schools for years. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

Talk about a waste of time & money that is the equality commission and the zealot Harriett Harman.

Catzsy
23-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Talk about a waste of time & money that is the equality commission and the zealot Harriett Harman.

Well the equality commission isn't necessarily a waste of money and it deals with far ranging issues but I do think Harriett Harman is a bit too much. I thought we were talking about the Human rights court in strasburg though?

HotelUser
23-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Normally and uniforms are there to lower any bullying regarding on what people wear, they can't really do it when your all wearing the same stuff pretty much. Also uniforms is just like a uniform in a workplace, there is a reason for it. ;)

I think they should have a choice whether to wear a skirt or not tbh.

I just don't see it. There isn't school uniforms here, and there's hardly any bullying because of how students dress:P

Meanies
23-02-2010, 07:53 PM
at my school down south is was optional, but most wore trousers in the earlier years, then in the later years some wore skirts and looked like right slappers
and up north i think it was optional but dont actually remember anyone wearing skirts

tbh how many transexuals are there in schools? probably hardly any. if they have a problem wearing skirts why cant they just go talk to the head or something and sort out being an exception to the uniform rules. surely wearing the opposite sex's uniform will just draw attention towards them anyway and then they'll be laughed at or whatever

dbgtz
23-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Girls + Skirts = yumyum. It's easy to tell which ones are ***** and aren't by where they wear the skirt. For example this fit as girl, hottest in the school probs wears it down to her knees yet this other fit-ish girl wears it like much higher LOL. It's quite surprising really.

Tash.
23-02-2010, 08:30 PM
We had the choice at my secondary school, and I would not have worn a skirt if the rule had been imposed. In fact though we had the choice at my school hardly any girls wore skirts, the ones that did were known to have their reasons ;)

Caution
23-02-2010, 08:35 PM
this (http://www.habboxforum.com/www.kings.peterborough.sch.uk) is what we have to wear
girls wear blouse and skirt (with blazer)
boys wear shirt and trousers (with blazer and tie)
very traditional and hasn't changed literally since it was formed in 1541 (by Henry VIII) as the cathedral school for choristers as we still do today :)
l o l you lot have to dress like old women.

you'd think a failing party such as labour would have more to worry about at the minute.

Smits
23-02-2010, 08:41 PM
I dont actually think girls should be forced to wear skirts.

I'm not complaining, but know that some don't want to wear a skirt, especially in colder weather.

Sharon
24-02-2010, 08:51 PM
They should be optional in all they cant force us ..

I wear any depends on weather but looooooool @ the pic for this thread pull ur skirt UP srsly bit of the ''i never wanna get laid'' look ...

dbgtz
24-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Surely by this tranny thing boys should be able to wear skirts? Scottish people do and they're very respected .

Sharon
24-02-2010, 09:13 PM

I wear any depends on weather but looooooool @ the pic for this thread pull ur skirt UP srsly bit of the ''i never wanna get laid'' look ...

mhhmmmmm i feel gdgd now
pullz ma skirt up.

Surely by this tranny thing boys should be able to wear skirts? Scottish people do and they're very respected .

LOL thats a bit far innit.

Caution
24-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Surely by this tranny thing boys should be able to wear skirts? Scottish people do and they're very respected .I'll ignore your ignorance. It's a totally different concept.

HotelUser
24-02-2010, 09:54 PM

I totally agree.

I'll ignore your ignorance. It's a totally different concept.

No his post was intended to be a funny funny joke, just like those sexist ones!!!

AgnesIO
24-02-2010, 09:55 PM

OMG WAS JUST ABOUT TO SAY :L

--

This is mad - as an Environmentalist, I refuse to wear clothes as there creation harms the environment. D you reckon they now have to allow people to walk around naked - it's against ma human rights if they don't.

:S

Caution
24-02-2010, 10:05 PM
I totally agree.

No his post was intended to be a funny funny joke, just like those sexist ones!!!
There's a difference. His post wasn't funny and the sexist one's are.
o w8 i get it now it's hilarious

ChickenFaces
24-02-2010, 10:11 PM
It's never been a problem before, I don't understand why it's an issue now. But I will put my two cents in and say that people should be able to wear skirts or pants if they want. How is it that big of a deal?

Sammeth.
24-02-2010, 10:32 PM
Why arent the sarcasm tags working damnit

Also, most of the girls in my old school wore trousers over skirts mainly for their own comfort and because it was the preferred choice. Not everyone has hot legs.

Sharon
24-02-2010, 10:37 PM
That sounds ugly I'd wear leggings under my skirt.

Frodo13.
24-02-2010, 10:53 PM
If the girls wore a skirt at my school, they were considerd a bit of a tramp actually. Stupid I know, but back then, and I'm sure at the people on here who still go to school sort of have there dos and don'ts for school. Most girls at my school just wore what I can only describe as skinny trousers, whilst the others just wore regular ones.

Sharon
24-02-2010, 11:26 PM
At mine if u wear trousers ur a bit ... Really
if you have ur skirt near Ur knees u are scared of getting laid
basically showing ur knickers is about right LOL

HotelUser
24-02-2010, 11:34 PM
There's a difference. His post wasn't funny and the sexist one's are.
o w8 i get it now it's hilarious

Oh now they're just getting too darn predictable :(

I blame you. You never implemented them :@

At mine if u wear trousers ur a bit ... Really
if you have ur skirt near Ur knees u are scared of getting laid
basically showing ur knickers is about right LOL

That's really odd, after having two Ukers having to explain to me what trousers are in Canadian friendly words, lots of girls wear trousers here and it's just a normal thing to wear:P

--ss--
25-02-2010, 05:12 PM
They should have the right to chose whether they want to wear trousers or skirts but for the love of god if certain girls do not look good in skirts they shouldnt be forced into wearing them, it's unfair on others.

Black_Apalachi
26-02-2010, 10:39 PM

Also, most of the girls in my old school wore trousers over skirts mainly for their own comfort and because it was the preferred choice. Not everyone has hot legs.

Huh? Trousers over skirts?! :eusa_eh:

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!