PDA

View Full Version : Zana & Max, the EU Superheroes here to save the world!

-:Undertaker:-
21-02-2010, 08:57 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1252707/EU-superheroes-solve-humanitarian-crisis-caused-earthquake--comic-thats-costing-taxpayer-200-000.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/7278919/Zana-and-Max-the-200000-comic-book-Eurocrats-saving-the-world.html

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/02/21/article-0-086595A8000005DC-759_233x312.jpg

A comic book portraying two fictional European Commission bureaucrats as humanitarian heroes battling to save the world is being sent to schools and homes at a cost of £200,000 to the taxpayer. More than 300,000 copies of Hidden Disaster, which is printed in five languages, are being dispersed across the UK and mainland Europe. The hardback graphic novel was written by Belgian author Erik Bongers.

It follows Zana and Max, two employees at the European Commission's Humanitarian Aid Department - or ECHO - as they try and raise money for Borduvia, a fictional state that has been devastated by an earthquake. Beautiful aid worker Zana, who wears a safari jacket with a patch depicting the European Union flag on it, is sent to Borduvia to manage the humanitarian crisis. There she meets up with local charity worker Tesjang who takes her to the worst-hit region of Kellow, an area in the Urgi mountains that is run by rebels. Tesjang takes her to meet the rebel leader who at first refuses her offer of European Commission aid. But determined Zana delivers a spirited response that is sure to leave children across Europe enraptured.

She says: 'In tragedies like this, international solidarity is normal. 'Borduvia is already accepting outside help, delivered impartially by independent agencies. If you do the same, people here will benefit... which surely is a good thing.' In another exchange with Tesjang, she is asked if there are many people from the Eureopean Commission in Borduvia. Her snappy reply is: 'No the aid is channelled through organisations like UNICEF or Oxfam. When the Commission finances them, they become what we call our "implementing partners".' Zana files reports on her progress throughout Hidden Disaster, which concludes with millions of euros arriving in Borduvia to provide clean water, food and shelter.

But Matthew Elliott, chief executive of Taxpayers' Alliance, said: 'It is deeply immoral to use taxpayers' money to promote the EU to children.
'This is pure political propaganda aimed at kids, which is a classic tactic of corrupt and unaccountable regimes down the ages. 'The EU seems to think it can buy itself popularity, but instead it simply makes itself look more out of touch and wasteful.'
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/02/21/article-1252707-086595C0000005DC-835_468x654.jpg

..and the day was saved - thanks to the power puff girls EU commissoners!

Thoughts?

LuketheDuke
21-02-2010, 09:56 PM
the reporting on this topic is so bias its almost funny

the government waste millions of pounds on stuff like this every year, its nothing new.

21-02-2010, 10:09 PM
We shouldnt be wasting our money on stuff like this and they shouldnt be wasting our money on stuff like this. Of course its biased because its so damn stupid - the Telegraph and Daily Mail arent going to sell many papers if they write a 5-star book review on this piece of trash are they?

Jordy
21-02-2010, 10:18 PM
While I don't like the propaganda the EU are using here. It's quite ironic of the Daily Fail and the Daily Telegraph to talk about propaganda. The Daily Telegraph couldn't be further up the Conservatives backside and if the Daily Mail was any further right it'd be the Nazi Party Newsletter.

I'm a Conservative supporter and believe in Right-wing politics but reading this complete tripe every day just corrupts your mind so that you can only see things from one perspective, looks like it succeeds in doing this too :rolleyes:

Caution
21-02-2010, 10:21 PM
That's pathetic. Why the hell are we still in the EU..

21-02-2010, 10:22 PM
While I don't like the propaganda the EU are using here. It's quite ironic of the Daily Fail and the Daily Telegraph to talk about propaganda. The Daily Telegraph couldn't be further up the Conservatives backside and if the Daily Mail was any further right it'd be the Nazi Party Newsletter.

I'm a Conservative supporter and believe in Right-wing politics but reading this complete tripe every day just corrupts your mind so that you can only see things from one perspective, looks like it succeeds in doing this too :rolleyes:

So erm, wheres the good point/s in this Zana & Max story thats costing us £200,000?

Jordy
21-02-2010, 10:23 PM
So erm, wheres the good point/s in this Zana & Max story thats costing us £200,000?There's none, like I stated.

21-02-2010, 10:24 PM
There's none, like I stated.

So it hasnt corrupted anyones minds, its just stating what a total waste of money this is and we even agree, it is. People arent stupid, when a newspaper is going over the top they know it and hence why they wouldnt buy it.

Jordy
21-02-2010, 10:26 PM
So it hasnt corrupted anyones minds, its just stating what a total waste of money this is and we even agree, it is. People arent stupid, when a newspaper is going over the top they know it and hence why they wouldnt buy it.I was referring in general how it's ironic for them to talk about propaganda, they're no better.

21-02-2010, 10:27 PM
I was referring in general how it's ironic for them to talk about propaganda, they're no better.

Indeed and nobody is, difference between the Telegraph/Daily Mail and the EU is that the EU is using our money to 're-educate' us whereas the option to buy the newspapers is exactly that, an option.

dbgtz
21-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Wow this is bull. Let's not save for a digital britain lets just waste more on the EU. I mean come on I want a higher bandwith and it's the ptake how half of my area is getting fibre optic but my street isn't.

alexxxxx
21-02-2010, 10:53 PM
Wow this is bull. Let's not save for a digital britain lets just waste more on the EU. I mean come on I want a higher bandwith and it's the ptake how half of my area is getting fibre optic but my street isn't.

200k isn't exactly going to refiber the whole of the UK is it?

-Xiangu-
21-02-2010, 11:07 PM
That actually made me lol. "eautiful aid worker Zana" How can a woman be beautiful?

lol joking.

I really do despise the eu and this is just more crap that they are spewing out. tbh I think the British public will one day get us out of the EU but I don't think we will for another few years. Any right minded Brit won't let their children read this bullcrap!

alexxxxx
21-02-2010, 11:15 PM
That actually made me lol. "eautiful aid worker Zana" How can a woman be beautiful?

lol joking.

I really do despise the eu and this is just more crap that they are spewing out. tbh I think the British public will one day get us out of the EU but I don't think we will for another few years. Any right minded Brit won't let their children read this bullcrap!

how do you know it's crap? infact i think it's a good thing, at least people might get to learn what the eu actually does. media have worked out it's easier to sell xenophobia than real, truthful stories. and calling them Eurocrats isn't actually an insult, it's the proper term for someone who works for the EU civil service.

22-02-2010, 08:11 PM
how do you know it's crap? infact i think it's a good thing, at least people might get to learn what the eu actually does. media have worked out it's easier to sell xenophobia than real, truthful stories. and calling them Eurocrats isn't actually an insult, it's the proper term for someone who works for the EU civil service.

Oh theres no hope for you then. Infact this pathetic little book reminds me posters such as these below, well its hardly suprising as we have some top-notch communists working at the top of the European Union right now as we speak, determined to create their little European Empire once again to challenge the Anglo sphere of influence (UK & US) as they have always aimed to do. Luckily as -Xiangu- said;- we will detroy this thing one day or leave it, because throughout history Britain has always been the nation which toppled unwanted and un-asked for European superstate.

http://blogs.venturacountystar.com/propaganda/400px-Soviet_propaganda.jpg

Would you like to tell us how this complete and utter waste (of our money) has anything to do with xenophobia because to me it seems like you, just like the EU itself cannot take any criticism without using accusing the accuser of (insert)phobia.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!