View Full Version : Microsoft Anti-Virus protection

CrazyColaist
27-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Apparently its one of the best anti virus/spyware & malware protecter out there

http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

Thread Moved by Jamesy (Forum Super Moderator): From "Technology Discussion"

GommeInc
27-02-2010, 01:58 PM
I'm fairly certain nearly everyone is aware of Microsoft Security Essentials :P It's probably the first, or should be the first, option for a free anti-virus tool as it completely destroys the competition in every aspect (in the free department). It rivals alot of the pay-for use ones too.

It's better in every aspect compared to AVG, which was probably the one everyone went to for a free anti-virus.

Flisker
27-02-2010, 05:52 PM
I'm fairly certain nearly everyone is aware of Microsoft Security Essentials :P It's probably the first, or should be the first, option for a free anti-virus tool as it completely destroys the competition in every aspect (in the free department). It rivals alot of the pay-for use ones too.

It's better in every aspect compared to AVG, which was probably the one everyone went to for a free anti-virus.
I completely agree! It also doesn't interfere with games or use a lot of resources! mine used 5MB of RAM whilst doing a virus scan. Kudos to Microsoft.

triston220
04-03-2010, 04:59 PM
I might just give this a try once my mcafee subscription has ran out.

Eoin
04-03-2010, 05:06 PM
nice! not had an anti-virus in a year. this will do nicely :D

Recursion
04-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Used Norton, ESET Smart Security and Kaspersky before this, now I use MS Security Essentials and Comodo Firewall, both free and both blow the others out of the water.

Tomm
04-03-2010, 05:35 PM
I use the enterprise version of this, Microsoft Forefront Client Security and it is one of the best anti viruses I've ever used. It performs a daily scan and to be honest, I've no idea that the scan is taking place as it has so little of a performance impact.

HotelUser
04-03-2010, 08:05 PM
The best antivirus is no antivirus. My strategy: don't download crap :)

Recursion
04-03-2010, 09:37 PM
The best antivirus is no antivirus. My strategy: don't download crap :)

Agreed.

Jordy
04-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Still, the likes of Adobe Reader and Adobe Flash (and sometimes browsers) are exploited, you don't get a choice about what you're downloading then. An anti-virus or Firewall gives you an extra layer of protection against that.

Common sense is good and all that but things are frequently exploited.

Angel-Light
04-03-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm trying to convince my Mum that her anti virus (Virgin Media PCGuard) is a pile of poo and should move to this.

I would have it on my PC but the connection software for my Uni network doesn't like MSE being my AV :l

Richie
04-03-2010, 10:13 PM
I use it and its the best free software ive used yet.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!