PDA

View Full Version : OUTRAGE at this REFILTERAGE!!!

Pyroka
27-02-2010, 10:10 PM
IM GOING TO PROTEST IN HALLWAY II ABOUT THIS MONSTROSITY!!!

Why did you have to refilter it!!?? There was nothing wrong with it! :( what was so unsuccessful?!?!?! its a word damnit, i demand answers I DEMAND THEM.

Hushie
27-02-2010, 10:12 PM
why cant we say

luce
27-02-2010, 10:48 PM
**** i am going to hallway 2 tbfrank .. *** this filtering **** ****

but srsly *** did they have to be re filtered? There is nothing for the mods to mod as avoiding the filter because it's all bloody filtered :lll

I don't see any harm in people saying that and everyone goes on about how 12 year olds may see it well in all honesty they see it on habbo and much worse, if they were that young they wouldn't be able to type and join in with the highly intellectual conversations that take place in the sports section and because we live in england most of us they hear it at school and use it anyway - if not at home :)!!!!!!

Calvin
27-02-2010, 11:05 PM
thank titch lol

FlyingJesus
27-02-2010, 11:09 PM
A good move I think, makes far more logical sense than the daft change that sparked the need for a regression

GommeInc
27-02-2010, 11:35 PM
Clearly an unthought through change, I don't even think they know the reason behind the refilter :/ It's amusing really, the original reason (as far as I could tell) was that someone (just the one) person created a thread due to an infraction, yet somehow the result is this, more complaints :P

Pyroka
27-02-2010, 11:37 PM
Well from what I've observed, General Management > Forum Management.

It's like common sense is being trumped by some crazy system....

Sammeth.
28-02-2010, 12:19 AM
Im unsure as to why you would think it would be Forum Management > General Management in this hierarchy? Not meaning to sound pompous at all, just curious.

The reasons they were unfiltered in the first place were due to a big demand, however having looked at the situation we're in now it only seems fair and just to either have all words that avoid the filter (and they do avoid the filter no matter what you argue) physically filtered, or unfiltered. And unfiltering all of the said abbreviations would be pointless and cause too much of a ruckus between those who arent able to remain calm in such a situation. Filtering them means there is absolutely no room for confusion as to what is and isnt allowed. Its easier on everyone, and at the end of the day theres no justification to unfilter some but not others.

I think its the right decision to refilter something that clearly wasn't working, and it wasn't working. It either gets to the point where every abbreviation is getting unfiltered for the most trivial reasons in an attempt to justify it and it becomes confusing for moderation and users as to what can be said and what be can't. At least we're all absolutely clear now.

Pyroka
28-02-2010, 12:26 AM
I was reading one of either Garions or Olis post, saying that General management would not like us to unfilter words. I would've thought forum management made those decisions... but obviously not. Just saying what Ive seen.

What wasn't working about it, thats the confusing thing. so what if people use abbreviations... theyre not calling eachother ***** and stuff :S it caused no problems whatsoever as far as i could see... just seems like you filtered them back because nobody was prepared to go the whole mile to unfiltering most, if not all abbreviations... all of which were pretty much similiar to every other abbreviation lol.

Im unsure as to why you would think it would be Forum Management > General Management in this hierarchy? Not meaning to sound pompous at all, just curious.

The reasons they were unfiltered in the first place were due to a big demand, however having looked at the situation we're in now it only seems fair and just to either have all words that avoid the filter (and they do avoid the filter no matter what you argue) physically filtered, or unfiltered. And unfiltering all of the said abbreviations would be pointless and cause too much of a ruckus between those who arent able to remain calm in such a situation. Filtering them means there is absolutely no room for confusion as to what is and isnt allowed. Its easier on everyone, and at the end of the day theres no justification to unfilter some but not others.

I think its the right decision to refilter something that clearly wasn't working, and it wasn't working. It either gets to the point where every abbreviation is getting unfiltered for the most trivial reasons in an attempt to justify it and it becomes confusing for moderation and users as to what can be said and what be can't. At least we're all absolutely clear now.

Blob
28-02-2010, 12:27 AM
I have been told to say this by an anonymous person, however I disagree with it:

David says:
*"So I can tell a woman to get back to the kitchen but I can't say ***? What's the world coming to!"

o wat did i paste too much

Pyroka
28-02-2010, 12:29 AM
I have been told to say this by an anonymous person, however I disagree with it:

David says:
*"So I can tell a woman to get back to the kitchen but I can't say ***? What's the world coming to!"

Well duh of course youre allowed to say that, swearing in abbreviations is much worse than blatent sexism :eusa_danc

Sammeth.
28-02-2010, 12:29 AM

David says:

Is anonymous Davids other name?

I was reading one of either Garions or Olis post, saying that General management would not like us to unfilter words. I would've thought forum management made those decisions... but obviously not. Just saying what Ive seen.

Forum management do make a lot of decisions, however things do go through General Management first. Normally just for advice or for an extra opinion and just so we get kept in the loop, but other times its cus they need our permission to speak. Its not overly often but forum management are just like any other management, they still report to us.

What wasn't working about it, thats the confusing thing. so what if people use abbreviations... theyre not calling eachother ***** and stuff :S it caused no problems whatsoever as far as i could see... just seems like you filtered them back because nobody was prepared to go the whole mile to unfiltering most, if not all abbreviations... all of which were pretty much similiar to every other abbreviation lol.

What wasn't working was the confusion as to what you could say and what you couldn't and the reasons as to why some things could be unfiltered and why some things couldn't be. There was too much of a grey area. I could argue that the filter has been like this for however many years and its not been an issue as such until as of late. We've now reverted back to that and all of a sudden its a huge issue. I don't know why everyones coped so long in the past if its this much of a pressing matter. I filtered them back as its the fair thing to do, unfiltering them all is the other option which just wouldn't work mainly because of the type of users we tend to attract.

I don't see why this is such an issue, if you want to say three or four letters so badly maybe I can hold a venting session on msn where you can subtley swear and not avoid any filters to your hearts content.

HotelUser
28-02-2010, 12:30 AM

That or paedo, whichever you prefer:)

Blob
28-02-2010, 12:30 AM

Yes, he uses it when he does the sexist jokes.

Sammeth.
28-02-2010, 12:36 AM
Theres quite a difference between avoiding the filter to swear when you shouldn't have to and telling a joke.

HotelUser
28-02-2010, 12:38 AM
Theres quite a difference between avoiding the filter to swear when you shouldn't have to and telling a joke.

The irony here is that the telling of that joke is actually more offensive to most, than saying *** or ***.

Pyroka
28-02-2010, 12:43 AM

Forum management do make a lot of decisions, however things do go through General Management first. Normally just for advice or for an extra opinion and just so we get kept in the loop, but other times its cus they need our permission to speak. Its not overly often but forum management are just like any other management, they still report to us.

What wasn't working was the confusion as to what you could say and what you couldn't and the reasons as to why some things could be unfiltered and why some things couldn't be. There was too much of a grey area. I could argue that the filter has been like this for however many years and its not been an issue as such until as of late. We've now reverted back to that and all of a sudden its a huge issue. I don't know why everyones coped so long in the past if its this much of a pressing matter. I filtered them back as its the fair thing to do, unfiltering them all is the other option which just wouldn't work mainly because of the type of users we tend to attract.

I don't see why this is such an issue, if you want to say three or four letters so badly maybe I can hold a venting session on msn where you can subtley swear and not avoid any filters to your hearts content.

But the forum filter is like the least... impacting part of the forum really, its important but we're all adults right? I mean abbreviations filtered? I'm pretty sure even Habbo allows that regardless of the Bobba filter (im not 100% :P). Why would forum management need general managements approval on being able to say a naughty word? I'm pretty sure they're big enough to make their own decisions to make the forum better, seeing as both AFM & FM are very experienced in moderating, they should have good judgement, if not better than general management in the way the forum & its community works.

What do you mean, "type of users we attract" btw... The type of users on the forum now are pretty mature, though there are moments of immaturity.

Sammeth.
28-02-2010, 12:50 AM
The irony here is that the telling of that joke is actually more offensive to most, than saying *** or ***.

I think thats debatable and a matter of opinion.

But the forum filter is like the least... impacting part of the forum really, its important but we're all adults right? I mean abbreviations filtered? I'm pretty sure even Habbo allows that regardless of the Bobba filter (im not 100% :P). Why would forum management need general managements approval on being able to say a naughty word? I'm pretty sure they're big enough to make their own decisions to make the forum better, seeing as both AFM & FM are very experienced in moderating, they should have good judgement, if not better than general management in the way the forum & its community works.

What do you mean, "type of users we attract" btw... The type of users on the forum now are pretty mature, though there are moments of immaturity.

No we're not all adults, and those of us who are still aren't to most mature of adults. I'm not saying that as a negative, but when its how the majority of users are our practices have to reflect that and go for our target (and seemingly actual) demographic. They don't need permission as such, which is why it was unfiltered in the first place after discussions (rather than seeking permission and approval) I made the decision to reverse this, which I'm well within my right to do. This isn't just some sort of power trip, I'm considering whats best and how better to approach things for the site I run.

If you feel that Forum Management have better judgment thats fine, however I would never pass comment on anyones ability to make solid and sound judgments, and I surely wouldn't put other peoples judgments before others without knowing how much of an input and experience that person has had in the past. I think if you're making that statement based off a title then its incredibly mislead.

Pyroka
28-02-2010, 12:58 AM
I think thats debatable and a matter of opinion.

No we're not all adults, and those of us who are still aren't to most mature of adults. I'm not saying that as a negative, but when its how the majority of users are our practices have to reflect that and go for our target (and seemingly actual) demographic. They don't need permission as such, which is why it was unfiltered in the first place after discussions (rather than seeking permission and approval) I made the decision to reverse this, which I'm well within my right to do. This isn't just some sort of power trip, I'm considering whats best and how better to approach things for the site I run.

If you feel that Forum Management have better judgment thats fine, however I would never pass comment on anyones ability to make solid and sound judgments, and I surely wouldn't put other peoples judgments before others without knowing how much of an input and experience that person has had in the passed. I think if you're making that statement based off a title then its incredibly mislead.

Power trip never crossed my mind. I don't think FM have better judgement, but I think they're capable of making a decision without it being judged by GM, filter especially? Do you need to be contacted if they're adding new smilies too? :S

Either way, my opinion is that you should've unfiltered all the abbreviations as during the time some were unfiltered, there wasnt any problems, and unfiltering more wouldnt cause any more problems on that basis.

Sammeth.
28-02-2010, 01:07 AM
Power trip never crossed my mind. I don't think FM have better judgement, but I think they're capable of making a decision without it being judged by GM, filter especially? Do you need to be contacted if they're adding new smilies too? :S

Either way, my opinion is that you should've unfiltered all the abbreviations as during the time some were unfiltered, there wasnt any problems, and unfiltering more wouldnt cause any more problems on that basis.
They are capable of making decisions of course. But as General Management we can surely exercise our right to have an opinion and give advice on decisions. We get copied into pretty much everything, not just forum stuff, but everything from all departments, mainly so we're up to date with whats going on. Its not as if everything we get asked or told about we'll shoot down, or even respond that strongly on. Most of the time its "Thanks for the update, try and get this done for such and such a date". Communication is key to running a site as big as this, if everyone was making decisions for themselves and doing whatever they wanted we would constantly be treading on each others toes.

Im of the opinion that there were problems and it was unfair to unfilter some and not all, and unfiltering all would cause further problems. I guess its just something we'll never agree on, and I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince you to see it my way either cus its not going to happen lets face it.

FlyingJesus
28-02-2010, 01:59 AM

Then such things ought to be reported and will then be dealt with as seen fit. It's not like you can actually filter a joke init

But this wasn't done and so it led to more problems. I honestly think they've done the right thing here, as unfiltering certain usages of swear words can only lead to the question "why isn't all swearing allowed?" which as has been discussed many many many many many many many many times before (and then some) is not something that HxF aims to have happen.

le harry
28-02-2010, 02:53 AM
umm what word

Alkaz
28-02-2010, 03:05 AM
But this wasn't done and so it led to more problems. I honestly think they've done the right thing here, as unfiltering certain usages of swear words can only lead to the question "why isn't all swearing allowed?" which as has been discussed many many many many many many many many times before (and then some) is not something that HxF aims to have happen.
I agree - I was against the decision to unfilter the words in the beginning as I knew that it would lead to people wanting other words being untilered with swear words in and then asking why cant all swear words be unfiltered etc and it just causes a lot of unecessary problems, which we've seen hence the words being readded to the filter. Good decision.

dirrty
28-02-2010, 03:30 AM
tbh who cares if the words are filtered, just use different words or none at all srsly it don't matter :l

Titch
28-02-2010, 09:48 AM
Good move, well done management :)

hah
28-02-2010, 11:14 AM
Good move, well done management :)

lmao at you... really just lol. Its all your fault because you couldn't stop crying over an infraction

Edited by Jamesy (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not post to cause arguments

Titch
28-02-2010, 11:22 AM
lmao at you... really just lol. Its all your fault because you couldn't stop crying over an infraction

I made a thread highlighting the issue, and it was dealt with, seems pretty good to me. If you dont like it, not my problem.

hah
28-02-2010, 11:24 AM
no you cried over and infraction and closed it when people disagreed with you lol

Titch
28-02-2010, 11:28 AM
no you cried over and infraction and closed it when people disagreed with you lol

i closed it around 1 hour ago? when i came on this morning and the situation had been dealt with. I also wasnt crying over an infraction, i was highlighting the point of why is one filtered and not another, and didnt see the reasoning behind it, and ovbouisly sam and higher management agreed hence the changes.

Grig
28-02-2010, 11:54 AM
The fact that no one knew that some common abbreviations were considered as swearing and thus was avoiding the filter. Whilst others were allowed. I am very sure most of the users wouldn't have known which one were and which ones weren't as there was no list of them, or nothing stated in the rules. Although obviously I do think members were indeed mature enough to use the previously unfiltered abbreviations. This is quite a tricky issue, and there needs to be a fine balance between the two. Although if there is a fine balance, there needs to be something in the rules of which ones are allowed. This is just my opinion on the issues.

Whilst some say, we should filter everything to make lives easier, I think some of the abbreviations were not used commonly in offense around the forum. Thus could have been solved by some more clarity on the actual rule by stating exceptions. Things like that will make members themselves feel like they are treated less like children. Even Habbo has created some leniency in game.

Anyway, just my 5 cents.

Hecktix
28-02-2010, 12:19 PM
We gave members an inch and they tried to take a mile.

I think it's a lot better that these words are filtered as there is now no confusion regarding abbreviations.

In all honesty I fail to see why you need lmfao instead of lmao. There is no need to swear. Habbox Forum has been fine without swearing for 6 years.

This is a classic example of us listening to the opinion if our members, then it being ruined by the minority who decide to take it too far and abuse our generousity.

hah
28-02-2010, 12:22 PM
We gave members an inch and they tried to take a mile.

I think it's a lot better that these words are filtered as there is now no confusion regarding abbreviations.

In all honesty I fail to see why you need lmfao instead of lmao. There is no need to swear. Habbox Forum has been fine without swearing for 6 years.

This is a classic example of us listening to the opinion if our members, then it being ruined by the minority who decide to take it too far and abuse our generousity.

No the members didn't take it to far, only one did and whoever else agreed with him in that thread, so like 2.

i dont see why people should lose out on something just because of someone who took an infraction to far.

a rule should be made saying you're not allowed go against a admin/mods decision in public or w/e. He should have just reported it instead of making it a big deal

Titch
28-02-2010, 12:32 PM
No the members didn't take it to far, only one did and whoever else agreed with him in that thread, so like 2.

i dont see why people should lose out on something just because of someone who took an infraction to far.

a rule should be made saying you're not allowed go against a admin/mods decision in public or w/e. He should have just reported it instead of making it a big deal

I made a feedback thread becuase i did not understand the rule which i was within my rights to do so. Several well respected members even said it wasnt clarified what you were and wernt allowed to post, hence why i originally posted it. Management then agreed that its unfair to have one filtered and one unfiltered becuase of the confuseion. I didnt take the infraction to far, nor cry about it, i made a simple thread about it. If any1 is making a fuss or crying as you sed in your other post, its you. Least when its filtered people dont get confused of which they can and cannot post, which WAS the case before.

hah
28-02-2010, 12:36 PM
they said lmao and omg with f was unfiltered? how is that confusing? thats all that got unfiltered

GommeInc
28-02-2010, 12:46 PM
My word, the amount of cack-handedship in this thread is unbelievable :O

So one person complained about an infraction? Big whoop. It's nice to see moderators, general management and forum management pussy footing around minor problems :rolleyes: The abbreviations in question did no harm, I'm shocked to see some people saying "I don't see why you need the F in there anyway" - LMFAO is common on the internet, abbreviations in general are - why are you bothering to go against common internet language? It's no wonder HxF has a bad name when it comes to pointless moderation and rules, they're trying to put rules and regulations in place which no where else does because it's too common to uphold. Heck, using this logic, why bother with abbreviations at all? Infact, let's start a riot over a new pointless forum rule "Do not use abbreviations - the only ones allowed should be LOL, LMAO, OMG etc".

I really do not see why they were re-filtered, and there appears to be no reason behind it either, other than some half-arsed excuse :/ Especially when someone says:

"This is a classic example of us listening to the opinion if our members, then it being ruined by the minority who decide to take it too far and abuse our generousity."

So the minority ruined it? Why ruin it for the majority, when it was such a petty thing. Pathetic, to be honest :/ One step backwards.

Catzsy
28-02-2010, 01:51 PM

That would be really be a step back as that's is what the feedback forum is for, surely.

I made a feedback thread becuase i did not understand the rule which i was within my rights to do so. Several well respected members even said it wasnt clarified what you were and wernt allowed to post, hence why i originally posted it. Management then agreed that its unfair to have one filtered and one unfiltered becuase of the confusion. I didnt take the infraction to far, nor cry about it, i made a simple thread about it. If any1 is making a fuss or crying as you sed in your other post, its you. Least when its filtered people dont get confused of which they can and cannot post, which WAS the case before.

I agree. IMO anything that is changed should be incorporated in the rules as I suggested here:

http://www.habboxforum.com/showpost.php?p=6332854&postcount=23.

It is therefore in black and white and shouldn't cause anybody confusion if they check the rules. However the problem arises that many members and not just Titch were confused as to what they could or could not say and others said that if those had been unfiltered why not the rest. Now this can be seen as quite a valid point to make and so the decision has made in the interests of the members to avoid any confusion and possibly get penalised because of the confusion. A sensible decision as it is not really possible to lift the whole filter on a Habbo Forum. Quite honestly I really don't see the need to swear on the forum anyway.

Nixt
28-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Can I just clarify that Forum Management are given a considerable about of leeway in regards to the decisions we make. Sammeth regularly gives us advice and opinion but generally allows us to make the decisions we want to make under his guidance, he is in no way controlling and in fact I would say we have the most freedom than ever before. He is, however, perfectly within his rights to make executive decisions above our heads where he feels something needs to be done and should not be criticised directly because of it.

GommeInc
28-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Can I just clarify that Forum Management are given a considerable about of leeway in regards to the decisions we make. Sammeth regularly gives us advice and opinion but generally allows us to make the decisions we want to make under his guidance, he is in no way controlling and in fact I would say we have the most freedom than ever before. He is, however, perfectly within his rights to make executive decisions above our heads where he feels something needs to be done and should not be criticised directly because of it.
Tough, it was and is a poor decision :/ So when will we see it reversed? Because clearly he nor the forum management seem to know why the action was to refilter and disallow the use of harmless abbreviations. Heck, the fact there were no guidelines posted when it was allowed (even though there shouldnt be the need for guidelines as there are rules already in place for pointless posting and "rudeness"). The fact CBA (with an F at the end) and LMAO (with an F in the middle) are harmless and used in daily life (LMFAO in particular). It's astonishing how petty the management appear to be with something so harmless and petty. Do you not have other things to worry about, like making the rules readable and not a lecture? :P

I only agreed with Titch because I believe CB'F' is just a harmless abbreviation which is used uncommonly, mainly because it's common internet knowledge that abbreviations are harmless exaggerations and actions which show the persons emotions or thoughts behind something that is said. No-one says LOL in real life, nor do they roll around the floor laughing, so it's shocking how little the forum management seem to know about net speak, if they think abbreviations are rude and naughty :rolleyes:

FlyingJesus
28-02-2010, 04:28 PM
So one person complained about an infraction? Big whoop. It's nice to see moderators, general management and forum management pussy footing around minor problems :rolleyes:

He didn't complain about an infraction, he was after some clarity on the rule which led to the discussion of the filter and then, logically, the change you seem so against for no particular reason.

The abbreviations in question did no harm, I'm shocked to see some people saying "I don't see why you need the F in there anyway" - LMFAO is common on the internet, abbreviations in general are - why are you bothering to go against common internet language?

That's probably the most stupid thing I've ever seen you say, and I've seen you call Garion clever. All swearing is extremely common on the internet and in real life, so going against "common internet language" makes sense because it's so completely unnecessary to have swearing on here. You know first hand that off this forum I swear just like the next person, but it's no issue at all for me to refrain from it here.

I really do not see why they were re-filtered, and there appears to be no reason behind it either, other than some half-arsed excuse :/

Yeah you're right, the fact that it was basically allowing swearing on a non-swearing forum is a totally half-arsed excuse.

Tough, it was and is a poor decision :/ So when will we see it reversed? Because clearly he nor the forum management seem to know why the action was to refilter and disallow the use of harmless abbreviations.

Fairly sure they do know, everyone else other than you seems to.

The fact CBA (with an F at the end) and LMAO (with an F in the middle) are harmless and used in daily life (LMFAO in particular).

Aaaand again, back to the original point. Swearing is common blah blah blah unnecessary blah blah shhhh put your toys back in the pram.

it's shocking how little the forum management seem to know about net speak, if they think abbreviations are rude and naughty :rolleyes:

If it includes swearing then yeah that is kinda rude, do you have a real point that makes sense or did you just want to make a fuss?

GommeInc
28-02-2010, 04:41 PM
He didn't complain about an infraction, he was after some clarity on the rule which led to the discussion of the filter and then, logically, the change you seem so against for no particular reason.
I only just checked it properly. It's even worse knowing all he did was ask for information which resulted in the pointless removal of common abbreviations.

That's probably the most stupid thing I've ever seen you say, and I've seen you call Garion clever. All swearing is extremely common on the internet and in real life, so going against "common internet language" makes sense because it's so completely unnecessary to have swearing on here. You know first hand that off this forum I swear just like the next person, but it's no issue at all for me to refrain from it here.
And this is possibly the most stupidest thing you've ever said. You clearly did not read what I wrote. I said abbreviations are common on the internet. You're attempting this "let's put words in his mouth" tactic, which is a fools tactic. Abbreviations are common on the internet, indeed. So is swearing. The difference? Swearing is rude, abbreviations are not unless you're an 80 year old lady who finds any informal speech wrong and unGodly ;)

Yeah you're right, the fact that it was basically allowing swearing on a non-swearing forum is a totally half-arsed excuse.
Abbreviations are not swearing. Fail.

Fairly sure they do know, everyone else other than you seems to.
Shows how much you know. Alot of people have found this to be a poor decision. Read the thread :rolleyes:

Catszy disagreed with sex. about how pointless it was for Titch to enquire about the abbreviation rule, thus resulting in this pointless course of action where someone seems to think abbreviations are rude and swearing. Pyroka even created this thread. So yeah, you appear to be trolling - kicking up a fuss to get off of it. Nothing new there though ;)

Aaaand again, back to the original point. Swearing is common blah blah blah unnecessary blah blah shhhh put your toys back in the pram.
What a stupid thing to say. Come back when you've read into what the problem is. Abbreviations are common on the internet. I don't particularly care about the swearing side of internet and this has little to do with swearing, as abbreviations are not a form of swearing. *REMOVED*

If it includes swearing then yeah that is kinda rude, do you have a real point that makes sense or did you just want to make a fuss?

"Kinda" ;) Are you trolling m'dear? I believe you are. It was a stupid thing to do, refilter the abbreviations, when there has been no problems other than with someone's faulty opinion on them. The thread Titch made was asking for information more than anything, as you so rightly agreed. So why were they refiltered? No reason has been posted, as the forum was reporting little to no problems with OMG with an F, LMAO with an F, ***, SMC etc etc. So yeah, you appear to be trolling. It's quite funny really, this two-faced view coming from you. The way you speak on MSN compared to this is LOL worthy ;)

Can someone just let Oli and Garion do their jobs? They seem to not understand what is wrong here and it's incredibly rude of Sammeth to take matters into his own hand - using his opinion on the matter rather than any source of actual information :/

Edited by Jamesy (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not be rude to other forum members.

Sammeth.
28-02-2010, 04:48 PM
I only just checked it properly. It's even worse knowing all he did was ask for information which resulted in the pointless removal of common abbreviations.

And this is possibly the most stupidest thing you've ever said. You clearly did not read what I wrote. I said abbreviations are common on the internet. You're attempting this "let's put words in his mouth" tactic, which is a fools tactic. Abbreviations are common on the internet, indeed. So is swearing. The difference? Swearing is rude, abbreviations are not unless you're an 80 year old lady who finds any informal speech wrong and unGodly ;)

Shows how much you know. Alot of people have found this to be a poor decision. Read the thread :rolleyes:

Catszy disagreed with sex. about how pointless it was for Titch to enquire about the abbreviation rule, thus resulting in this pointless course of action where someone seems to think abbreviations are rude and swearing. Pyroka even created this thread. So yeah, you appear to be trolling - kicking up a fuss to get off of it. Nothing new there though ;)

What a stupid thing to say. Come back when you've read into what the problem is. Abbreviations are common on the internet. I don't particularly care about the swearing side of internet and this has little to do with swearing, as abbreviations are not a form of swearing. *Removed*

"Kinda" ;) Are you trolling m'dear? I believe you are. It was a stupid thing to do, refilter the abbreviations, when there has been no problems other than with someone's faulty opinion on them. The thread Titch made was asking for information more than anything, as you so rightly agreed. So why were they refiltered? No reason has been posted, as the forum was reporting little to no problems with OMG with an F, LMAO with an F, ***, SMC etc etc. So yeah, you appear to be trolling. It's quite funny really, this two-faced view coming from you. The way you speak on MSN compared to this is LOL worthy ;)

Can someone just let Oli and Garion do their jobs? They seem to not understand what is wrong here and it's incredibly rude of Sammeth to take matters into his own hand - using his opinion on the matter rather than any source of actual information :/
The fact of the matter is abbreviations are avoiding the filter. We unfiltered them based on feedback and terms of context. The situation left moderators and users in a position where they were unsure and there was too much of a grey area. Then there was the question of what is and isn't justafiable to unfilter. Abbreviations do avoid the filter, we made a mistake in letting this happen in the first place, and now its being rectified. Garion and Oli do do their jobs. I like how you've made that statement based on one occurance of where I've made a decision above them rather than the fact they've made 90% of the decisions around this place. You seem to have a very poor knowledge on how Habbox works behinds the scenes, and I guess thats through no fault of your own. But making assumptions isn't the best way to go about this. Especially rash and misguided statements.

GommeInc
28-02-2010, 04:52 PM
The fact of the matter is abbreviations are avoiding the filter. We unfiltered them based on feedback and terms of context. The situation left moderators and users in a position where they were unsure and there was too much of a grey area. Then there was the question of what is and isn't justafiable to unfilter. Abbreviations do avoid the filter, we made a mistake in letting this happen in the first place, and now its being rectified. Garion and Oli do do their jobs. I like how you've made that statement based on one occurance of where I've made a decision above them rather than the fact they've made 90% of the decisions around this place. You seem to have a very poor knowledge on how Habbox works behinds the scenes, and I guess thats through no fault of your own. But making assumptions isn't the best way to go about this. Especially rash and misguided statements.
All this from one thread?

Abbreviations do not intentionally avoid the filter for the sake of disruption. Give me an example :/ Also, abbreviations aren't a form of swearing. I'd sudder to know what OMG, LOL, ROFL mean :O

"OMFG, I just won Lady Gaga tickets!"

Hardly rude and disruptive. Infact, any normal person would just read that and not think anything of it :/

I say that this because, unlike Garion and Oli, 90% of their choices are okay and acceptable. However, this is just causing unneeded, tedious debate where the result seems to be based on no solid grounds :/

FlyingJesus
28-02-2010, 04:56 PM

Abbreviations that include swearing are swearing. If no-one knows what they mean then it's pointless to even use them, but as you've said they're very common and as such people clearly do know what they stand for. As for putting words in your mouth I never actually did that so unsure of where you're coming from with that, the only time I mentioned something you said was as a direct quote.

Think it's a poor decision isn't the same as not knowing why it was done.

So yeah, you appear to be trolling - kicking up a fuss to get off of it. Nothing new there though ;)

Not at all, I'm explaining why the change was made and why I believe it was a good decision. I don't see anything in that which amounts to trolling, which is more than I can say for this comment you've just come out with which appears to be aimed at my person rather than the issue, and as such is tantamount to trolling and attempting to get me riled up.

What a stupid thing to say. Come back when you've read into what the problem is. Abbreviations are common on the internet. I don't particularly care about the swearing side of internet and this has little to do with swearing, as abbreviations are not a form of swearing. *Removed*

You do know what the abbreviations stand for, right?

1) A "two-faced view" would insinuate that I've previously been advocating for the removal of the filter, which I have never done, so that comment makes no sense.
2) I already mentioned the way I speak on msn, and feel it has no bearing whatsoever on my activity here. I speak differently in real life to my parents and my friends, that hardly makes my views invalid on any count.
3) The reason (as has been said) is that there would have been difficulty in unfiltering certain words and still having an excuse to keep general swearing filtered, and general management are not prepared to lift the HxF filter, as quite rightly there would be no real benefit to doing so.
4) Nope, still not trolling.

How terribly rude for the general manager to manage a general aspect of the forum he runs. At my workplace I have seniority over some staff but that doesn't mean I can do as I please without going through my bosses first, and the same is the case for most places with a hierarchy.

Sammeth.
28-02-2010, 04:56 PM
All this from one thread?

Abbreviations do not intentionally avoid the filter for the sake of disruption. Give me an example :/ Also, abbreviations aren't a form of swearing. I'd sudder to know what OMG, LOL, ROFL mean :O

"OMFG, I just won Lady Gaga tickets!"

Hardly rude and disruptive. Infact, any normal person would just read that and not think anything of it :/

I say that this because, unlike Garion and Oli, 90% of their choices are okay and acceptable. However, this is just causing unneeded, tedious debate where the result seems to be based on no solid grounds :/
That thread and moderator feedback which I tend to enjoy listening to for some crazy reason.

If its ok to avoid the filter in an abbreviation, then why not just unfilter the word so people can say "Oh my ******* god". Its not necessary and not acceptable, so why should shortening it to just a letter make it ok?

So you're saying you intentionally made an unfactual statement about the way this place works that was wholly untrue, as said by Garion in the thread earlier, just because you disagree with a decision? Having known you for a while and your demeanour around the forum, I would have expected better from you. No offence intended there, I just wouldn't have thought you would admit to stooping as low as that. I just stated what grounds the decision was based on.

GommeInc
28-02-2010, 05:02 PM
That thread and moderator feedback which I tend to enjoy listening to for some crazy reason.

If its ok to avoid the filter in an abbreviation, then why not just unfilter the word so people can say "Oh my ******* god". Its not necessary and not acceptable, so why should shortening it to just a letter make it ok?
Because abbreviations are common expressions? My word, do you not know the internet? So what if it has the F word in it, it's not intentionally disruptive nor rude. Why have you filtered them, you seem to not know yourself :/ Also, what if I say "Oh My Flipping God?" Not everyone swears, it's pretty rude of you to assume this :/ Especially when abbreviations are not a form of swearing, as much as you love the idea that this could be true, it isn't ;)

I'm quite shocked at how much you've changed, you've put on a face since becoming GM :/

So you're saying you intentionally made an unfactual statement about the way this place works that was wholly untrue, as said by Garion in the thread earlier, just because you disagree with a decision? Having known you for a while and your demeanour around the forum, I would have expected better from you. No offence intended there, I just wouldn't have thought you would admit to stooping as low as that. I just stated what grounds the decision was based on.
I believe you said 90% of decisions are made by Garion and Oli, not me ;)

FlyingJesus
28-02-2010, 05:05 PM
So if I said "f u" that would be fine because it's an abbreviation, and I could potentially mean "fluffy udders"?

Also you keep ignoring the fact that common expressions aren't always a good thing. I'm sure a common expression in some parts of some cities is "give us ya wallet or I'll cut you" but it's not a great one. A common phrase for me is "you're ugly" but I'm still not allowed to go around the forum saying it to everyone

GommeInc
28-02-2010, 05:24 PM
So if I said "f u" that would be fine because it's an abbreviation, and I could potentially mean "fluffy udders"?

Also you keep ignoring the fact that common expressions aren't always a good thing. I'm sure a common expression in some parts of some cities is "give us ya wallet or I'll cut you" but it's not a great one. A common phrase for me is "you're ugly" but I'm still not allowed to go around the forum saying it to everyone
Saying F U isn't an abbreviation ;) That has it's own word/phrase that relates to text speak. For example, C U L8R.

You two are majorly pettifogging over something tiny like mild filter avoidance :/ The fact they're commonly used internet abbreviations that are not rude is beyond you two :/

Sammeth.
28-02-2010, 05:26 PM
Ryan, your arguments against this are constantly changing with the wind. You've begun resorting to namecalling and insults, which usually indicates you've run out of steam. For this reason, and the fact you yourself have turned this thread into an argument, the thread will be closed, which is a big shame.

If anyone has any questions about this then feel free to PM me and I will answer anything you have to say with a little something called dignity.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!