PDA

View Full Version : Activision vs. Infinity Ward

Fez
02-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Indeed.

http://kotaku.com/5483492/scandal-hits-call-of-duty-devs-what-we-know-[update]

Strange things are afoot, studio heads leaving, many other complications. This only points in one direction.

Infinity Ward will either disband or leave the Activision coup. I hope it's the second.

Sharpsterz
02-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Just been reading about this on the ign boards, very interesting story developing

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/107/1073302p1.html

PaulMacC
02-03-2010, 04:57 PM
INDEPENDENT IW.
DEDICATED SERVERS.
NO MAINSTREAM
NO TREYARCH
YES YES YES

Neil
02-03-2010, 05:04 PM
INDEPENDENT IW.
DEDICATED SERVERS.
NO MAINSTREAM
NO TREYARCH
YES YES YES

I doubt IW would be independent, it'll take a weekend and EA will be all over them trying to cash in.

Oleh
02-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Inifinity ward without activision would be uber, unless they went with lets say... ubisoft - UBER UBER!

PaulMacC
02-03-2010, 05:18 PM
I doubt IW would be independent, it'll take a weekend and EA will be all over them trying to cash in.
Mark my words, the people who have been fired by Activi$ion will have a new company up and running within the next year and all the people with a brain and common sense will know who is responsible for the quality of the Call of Duty series (not Activi$ion). Then the fans will migrate leaving Activi$ion with an empty franchise who has lost their top talent. The next installment of Activi$ion trying to cash in on Modern Warfare will go straight on its arse and thus the Call of Duty franchise will slowly die

Neil
02-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Mark my words, the people who have been fired by Activi$ion will have a new company up and running within the next year and all the people with a brain and common sense will know who is responsible for the quality of the Call of Duty series (not Activi$ion). Then the fans will migrate leaving Activi$ion with an empty franchise who has lost their top talent. The next installment of Activi$ion trying to cash in on Modern Warfare will go straight on its arse and thus the Call of Duty franchise will slowly die

But like I said, Infinity Ward wont be independent, EA will buy them because EA knows IW make money and IW know they need someone to pay for distribution and advertising and obviously someone to pay them, although just about anyone with an interest in CoD would pick new versions up without a second thought it doesn't mean IW will make games that get the same attention right away, Treyarch will take over CoD along with this new developer and IW will be making other shooters that will peak interest of many but wont be as recognised.

PaulMacC
02-03-2010, 05:34 PM
But like I said, Infinity Ward wont be independent, EA will buy them because EA knows IW make money and IW know they need someone to pay for distribution and advertising and obviously someone to pay them, although just about anyone with an interest in CoD would pick new versions up without a second thought it doesn't mean IW will make games that get the same attention right away, Treyarch will take over CoD along with this new developer and IW will be making other shooters that will peak interest of many but wont be as recognised.
IW will always be the king of console fps.

Neil
02-03-2010, 05:40 PM
IW will always be the king of console fps.

That may be but again, your average person picks up CoD and just plays it without paying attention to developers etc. because they don't care, with the majority of MW2 players being fans of CoD4 and nothing else they probably don't care about who makes the game so really only players like us will really even take notice of what IW are doing, with the first title they release that isn't CoD more than likely flying under the radar for most people, chances are the first title they release will be something on XBLA or PSN.

Oleh
02-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Well seeing as when iW titled Cod: Modern warfare 2 just Modern Warfare 2, it baffled all the div's as they didnt realise it was call of duty, so i doubt iW will get off to a good start within the 360 era and more of the cod2 style where it was a release game for the 360, iW's next project probably will be for the next gen xbox

Neil
02-03-2010, 06:00 PM
Well seeing as when iW titled Cod: Modern warfare 2 just Modern Warfare 2, it baffled all the div's as they didnt realise it was call of duty, so i doubt iW will get off to a good start within the 360 era and more of the cod2 style where it was a release game for the 360, iW's next project probably will be for the next gen xbox

Aha I remember that, so many morons on here were all thinking it wasn't CoD anymore, just MW2, I laughed at them all.

dbgtz
02-03-2010, 06:03 PM
I assume they could still create mw3? Just because they disband doesn't mean they can't make it still, they just need permission/contract I guess? Anyway nothings happened yet and it's probably safer for Activision to keep with them for at least MW3.

Fez
02-03-2010, 06:17 PM
I assume they could still create mw3? Just because they disband doesn't mean they can't make it still, they just need permission/contract I guess? Anyway nothings happened yet and it's probably safer for Activision to keep with them for at least MW3.
Activision holds the rights to the COD franchise.

I hope EA gobble up Infinity Ward, because they are a much better publisher in my opinion. They have really improved over the last few years, less of shoving shovelware down our throats and more pushing new I.Ps. I hope Infinity Ward realise that they're not making as much money as they think they are with Activision (who are denying IW their MW2 royalties).

Will be interesting how it all pans out.

dbgtz
02-03-2010, 06:20 PM
I know Activision own the COD franchise but I'm saying IW could easily be apart and still make them under Activisions publishing, it's exactly what Bungie are doing for Microsoft.

Oleh
02-03-2010, 08:06 PM
i doubt iW would have anything to do with Activision after this, i dont think microsoft did anything bad, they just disbanded from microsoft due to something i forgot

Neil
02-03-2010, 08:20 PM
I think the Microsoft/Bungie thing was just a contract deal that Bungie had to make 3 Halo games or something, the only reason the relationship is still strong between them is because Bungie get paid for arguably one of the most successful franchises of the decade and Microsoft have another big exclusive.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!